all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 24k swing, c&p, and snatch technique critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matt Piercy

Level 3 Valued Member
Sorry the top of the KB is cut off. I can do it again if you need me to. I can already see I need more work on my insertion and I'm letting the KB slam into me

Hey, Matt. Love the dog. I think he wants to kettlebell :)

Looks basically good, esp the press and snatch. I'd say your biggest improvements could be in the hinge for all movements, and a better packed shoulder for the swing.

What say others?

I'm no expert but maybe hinging just a little early on the swing?

Also you look like you clean pretty high on your body - I think Pavel says imagine trying to clean to your waist - you'll control the arc of the bell better and the rack position will feel more effortless.

You look like you have plenty of arm strength - the hand to hand change on the swings looked very smooth and you make the press look very easy.

Swing: Square your shoulders at the top. Reach the other hand out and touch the kettlebell if you need help figuring out what square is. This one's a little tough to figure out but try to use your lats more to try to stay connected to the bell at the top of the swing.

Clean: Clean on right looks better than clean on left. Too much hip snap on left side - bell gets too high.

Press: Weight is light for you. Your rack position looks _comfortable_ but that's not our goal for the rack for a press. You want a more vertical forearm and to need to use some tension to maintain that position. Pull your elbow down to your hip without rounding your spine or compromising your shoulder, and press from there.

Snatch: I'd wait on these if you don't need to do them. When you get more comfortable with your clean, your snatch will very likely be better. That's a good weight for you to use in the snatch. Try pressing the weight overhead, then snatching from the top - your rep will start with the drop from the top and finish at the top where it started.

-S-

Swing - I'd advise to start with the bell closer to you which will allow for shoulders to stay packed right from the beginning and thus employ the lats. And I second Steve with squaring - resist the rotation force. Also try to stay tight in top position as long as possible - as Pavel says play chicken with the bell.

Clean - try to clean closer to your body, imagine there is a wall couple feet in front of you

Snatch - I think there is some pressing movement on the very top. Work on your swing and clean and leave these for later.

I think the others have identified most of your technical errors.

Is that your first Kettlebell Matt ?

If you are new to kettlebells and you can throw 24 kg around with such ease, I'd say you are a naturally strong person. If you correct the errors suggested above and build on your V02 max and conditioning you will make a formidable opponent in many sports.

Tarzan, I bought 35lb at first but I had to move up to a 24k. I'm not naturally strong, I'm very average. I just did barbell training for 3 years prior to picking up a KB (powerlifting style)

I tried to make the changes, but I'm going to need alot of pratice. I'm posting the video anyway because I caught a cool double rainbow on video...but hopefully I can get a few more pointers on my technique as well :)this HTML class. Value is

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom