all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB 24kg and 32kg. Rogue standard or comp?

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ImDC

Level 1 Valued Member
I currently have some Onnit bells I bought for everyone in the family to use. Two 4's, two 8's, a 12, two 16's and a 20. I have started S&S using the 16 and 20. I'm ready to move up to 24kg for sure. Definitely like the quality/value mix of the Rogue bells. As someone looking to accomplish both Simple and Sinister and then after that work towards SFG level I: should I go with the Rogue standards or maybe spend a little extra on the Rogue comp? People seem to be very high on the VF style/design Rogue went with on their comp not just as a competition bell but overall use in general. I was thinking with higher rep snatch work later the comp might be a better choice. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

DC

Last edited:
@ImDC, I don't know these bells in particular, but it in general, and certainly in the past, a competition bell meant different design specifications that weren't as well suited to our purposes. I second @Anna C's recommendation in this case.

-S-

I third @Anna C and second @Steve Freides

I have 16kg- 32kg in 4kg jumps. The 28kg is competition bell and it's weight distribution, handle shape and size makes it less comfortable. Because of that I rarely use it. I use it for bent press, but it feels more awkward than heavy, like the shift in center of mass is greater than should be for a 4kg jump.
The handle being completely straight have probably also something to do with being harder to crush the handle and stay with good wrist alignment.

I don't buy a 40kg because I can only find competition bells as that size around me...

My 2 cents...

After years of only using DragonDoor cast iron bells, plus a pair of Rogue cast iron 20s, last spring I got pairs of 28 and 32kg Kettlebells USA Paradigm Pro Elite competition style bells (I already have cast iron bells in these weights so I have been able to compare them directly).

I must say that I now prefer the competition bells for many purposes.

The 35mm handles (a lot of older styles of comp bells have thinner 33mm handles) are slightly thinner than the cast iron bells, and to me they are "right sized." The handles are very round and even and the surface has a nice subtle bare metal grain texture (more so than other comp bells that have more polished handles) that works well with or without chalk. The bells sit very nicely and comfortably on the forearm and in the rack. The space between the horns is actually wider than on the cast iron bells and more comfortable for 2-hand swings. Even though the bells are physically larger than cast iron 32s, they seem not to clank together when doing exercises with doubles, whereas the cast iron bells do (the widest point of the cast iron 28s is the outside of the handles, whereas the widest point of the comp bells is lower, at the circumference of the bell).

The straight horns on the competition bells are less comfortable for gripping in goblet position.

Since the competition bells are a little taller, they seem a little slower and less responsive when catching cleans and snatches, but I could easily describe this characteristic as "smoother" as well. Edit: To clarify, the more your technique rotates the bells directly over the top, the quicker and more responsive the shorter cast iron bells will feel. The more you keep the bell below your hand, the smoother and better balanced the competition bells will feel.

I have not tried the comp bells for bottom up work, but I would expect the cast iron bells would work better there because of the lesser overall height.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and ordered a 24kg standard Rogue bell as one of my Christmas presents from the wife. LOL. The Rogue bells seem like an incredible value while at the same time seem very similar to the Onnit KB's I'm already accustomed too.

Thanks again for taking the time. DC

I realize that I'm probably the oddball, but I've found the thinner 33mm handles tougher for snatches than the fat classic handles to which I'd long been accustomed.

While prepping for the SFG1, I was to the point when I could perform 50 left/50 right with one hand switch any day of the week with an old DD 24k, yet during the same training period, barely seemed to break into the 40s when I gave it a go on a Rogue competition KB of the same weight.

I have 5 standard Rogue KBs, and I love them. The handles are a little "grainy' textured, but I have no problem with them so far.

Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and ordered a 24kg standard Rogue bell as one of my Christmas presents from the wife. LOL. The Rogue bells seem like an incredible value while at the same time seem very similar to the Onnit KB's I'm already accustomed too.

Thanks again for taking the time. DC

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom