all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 24kg Kettlebell Snatch - Video for critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
There’s nowt to shame. Your stance seems wide but it could be camera angle. It’s fast and a tad loose but these are all things that will develop over a few hundred thousand reps. I’ve watched it a few times and each time I like your form better. With the snatch and I’m guilty of this myself, it’s important to maximise that contact of the forearm and abdomen on the upward to the last possible moment. The difference in the snatch is palpable when you do this. So give that a whirl. You arc is good up and down. I’m no expert at the end of the day. 20 years later I’m still refining technique.

Adachi, no shaming at all! After watching the video, the path of the bell is looking pretty good, but you are working way too hard. I would suggest two things to make it more powerful and easier at the same time. First is to get a better hinge. It looks as though you are squatting instead of hinging and losing a lot of power. Focus on pushing your hips back, as if you were reaching for a wall that is too far behind you.. instead of sitting more down like you are now. Your should feel it more in your hamstrings rather than your quads. The second change I would make is having a deeper hike. There is no rush to get the bell back to the top. Think of a rubber band... the further you hike the bell behind you the more the band is stretched, which in turn will throw the bell back to the top with a smaller amount of effort. Even feel like you are pausing at the bottom with the band fully stretched to the limit. If you do, the time spent on the deeper hike and keeping the over all motion smooth will result in a faster over all snatch time.... and you'll burn 1/2 the energy doing it.

Nice and snappy! I like that creative movement of the free arm... Like a conductor. :)

I also noticed stance is very wide, though I can't say there's necessarily a down side to that. You'll be able to feel if you have more power with a narrower stance.

Agree with @Ron Farrington that you could use the hinge and direct your power a bit more efficiently.

Keep up the good work!

First off, not bad at all!

I agree with what everyone has said:
  • Narrow your stance a little
  • Squat less, hinge more
  • Pause overhead at the top for a beat
I would additionally suggest you reach back more at the bottom. This will help you hinge more, thereby giving you more distance to fully load your hips for the extension.

In case you're interested, here is a past thread where I address my wide stance width...

Thinking lots of thoughts ...
thinking.gif
Will check on narrowing up my stance and hinging at the bottom.
and, I could gladly and easily pause at the top.

Last edited:
Which arm do you feel snatches better? (I have an opinion, but I'm curious what you think)
I think my right hand is better when the bell is in it and when it's working as the free hand. my left ... it's doin' its own thing. believe it or not - all I'm thinking about the free hand is the lion's roar. but - my left hand - doesn't quite look the way I think it does.

I thought the hike looked better on the left than on the right. I thought the punch out at the top was much better on the right - the left is slow on the punch at the top and that's going to hammer your forearm. What your left is doing while the right is snatching is... interesting.

Maybe a minor thing, but I have an easier time with the hike pass on snatches if my pants are not very baggy in the crotch. If I’m wearing basketball shorts I will often roll them once at the waist. The way your pants fit would mess me up.

here is my try at incorporating the above feedback.

any and all comments are welcome.

This was still taxing and stressed my lower back more than I'm accustomed to.
I did notice some fatigue between sets.
Although, after a little walking and recovery, my back feels more or less the same as yesterday or the day before.

Last edited:

Although, after a little walking and recovery, my back feels more or less the same as yesterday or the day before.

Overall pretty smooth, they are getting better!
Just a few things, would love to hear more experienced members:
1) In your left arm snatches you do not lead the movement with the elbow. Meaning: on the way up your left elbow/upper arm could be closer a little longer to your ribs. On the way down you do not lead with the elbow, keeping the shoulder high and disconnected.
2) From your first video in this thread to this one these look much less rushed. Still they could look even less rushed (English is not my first language so forgive the expression, could be better explained). When snatching use the mental image of doing N sets of 1, even if you are doing sets of 5 or 10 reps. Generally speaking if you want to dial down technique I’d advise you to do sets of 5 reps.
3) As I am sure you know, the snatch is a three stage rocket. Your third stage is not smooth yet (bell has already flipped and you have to push it). This is related to point two and point one and manifests itself in this: sometimes the kb bangs your forearm slightly, sometimes it seems to throw your arm backwards a tad too much, sometimes throws you slightly out of balance. Working on points 1 and 2 should solve this on its own.
Hope this helps! Keep up the great work!!

Is this the first vid with the adjustments? Looks good..

Give it a few more sessions since the body is also adapting to the adjustments.. by the time it figures out what it needs to do, you'll be able to have a higher level of sub-conscious execution

Adachi I think it’s fantastic that you post these videos knowing they are imperfect, good job it takes brass. Ha if you only me swing a 32 today for the first time. Think I did 10x10 once I got past those horrible first 3 reps nevertheless I left the gym feeling energized. I was expecting fatigue. The swing was going to be the final movement for me to learn but now I’m temped to . . . well you know.

I understand there is a movement in between.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom