all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 25 Days in Eastern Europe - Bodyweight Recommendations

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Facher

Level 3 Valued Member
Greetings, guys and gals!

First post here, but a longtime lurker. I've found the atmosphere on this forum to be excellent - professional, encouraging and inviting. Thank you all for that!

I would like your input on a bodyweight training plan for a recent trip I have to make to Eastern Europe. I will be overseas for 25 days with no access to a gym, kettlebell, pull up bar or even a trail to run on. I'll be quarantined for the first 14 days, so even running and walking outside are off-limits. Sounds like a mild prison sentence, but it's probably not going to be that bad! The only equipment that I know I will have is my body and my luggage.

That being said, here are my current training goals and my strength levels:

1. Pursuing Simple and am up to 6 sets of the 32kg bell with one-arm swings and get ups.
2 Working towards the one arm/one leg push up and weighted pistol with a 24kg bell. Currently, I can do a one rep max OAPU from a bench height of 18" and a pistol with 16kg bell. I am doing the 6-week plan put forth by Karen Smith for working towards the OAPU and doing pistols in GTG fashion most days.

I would like to do something explosive to mimic the swing, perhaps broad jumps or burpees? Not sure if anything could resemble the TGU, but I could always do them with my luggage, albeit at a reduced weight than a 24 or 32kg bell. I'll have plenty of time to devote to training, so I think the options are pretty broad, even in the context of bodyweight only.

Thank you for your thoughts on this!

-Colin

Hello Facher!
First of all,
professional, encouraging and inviting. Thank you all for that
I will take that compliment :cool:
Secondly,
I'll be quarantined for the first 14 days,
first 14 days should be easy with very basic bdw exercises, like push up, hip hinge, windmill, squat...I don't think burpee or any kind of jumping is a good idea because it could make noise and your roommates/nurses/doctors can dislike that. Save jumping and burpee for the latter half of the tour.
I'm thinking about adding stretching or exercise that makes you stretch, like straight leg good-morning, windmill, hip bridge. For strength, if you can find the wall that you can put your feet on then handstand and handstand push up would be good idea.
Hope this help.

Greetings, guys and gals!

First post here, but a longtime lurker. I've found the atmosphere on this forum to be excellent - professional, encouraging and inviting. Thank you all for that!

I would like your input on a bodyweight training plan for a recent trip I have to make to Eastern Europe. I will be overseas for 25 days with no access to a gym, kettlebell, pull up bar or even a trail to run on. I'll be quarantined for the first 14 days, so even running and walking outside are off-limits. Sounds like a mild prison sentence, but it's probably not going to be that bad! The only equipment that I know I will have is my body and my luggage.

That being said, here are my current training goals and my strength levels:

1. Pursuing Simple and am up to 6 sets of the 32kg bell with one-arm swings and get ups.
2 Working towards the one arm/one leg push up and weighted pistol with a 24kg bell. Currently, I can do a one rep max OAPU from a bench height of 18" and a pistol with 16kg bell. I am doing the 6-week plan put forth by Karen Smith for working towards the OAPU and doing pistols in GTG fashion most days.

I would like to do something explosive to mimic the swing, perhaps broad jumps or burpees? Not sure if anything could resemble the TGU, but I could always do them with my luggage, albeit at a reduced weight than a 24 or 32kg bell. I'll have plenty of time to devote to training, so I think the options are pretty broad, even in the context of bodyweight only.

Thank you for your thoughts on this!

-Colin
Welcome to SF.
You are on the right track already.
Naked Warrior...strictly and by the book
I would just do naked TGU. Highly valuable even without a load.
Keep eyes peeled for pull-up opportunities. There is always a way...
Relax Into Stretch / Super Joints / Flexible Steel / OS Resets
Maybe after 14 days you can run?

it’s only 25 days right? Don’t stress it...

again welcome...

Hello Facher!
First of all,

I will take that compliment :cool:
Secondly,

first 14 days should be easy with very basic bdw exercises, like push up, hip hinge, windmill, squat...I don't think burpee or any kind of jumping is a good idea because it could make noise and your roommates/nurses/doctors can dislike that. Save jumping and burpee for the latter half of the tour.
I'm thinking about adding stretching or exercise that makes you stretch, like straight leg good-morning, windmill, hip bridge. For strength, if you can find the wall that you can put your feet on then handstand and handstand push up would be good idea.
Hope this help.

I thought about the handstand/handstand push up also. I've never seriously tried to do them, but this could be a great time to start!

Welcome to SF.
You are on the right track already.
Naked Warrior...strictly and by the book

it’s only 25 days right? Don’t stress it...

Not really stressing, but I know that for the first 14 days, I will need to do something to occupy my time. I've got plenty of books to read and symphonies to listen to, but I need the physical stimulation as well. Regarding TGU, that's a great idea - I know I could improve my form and work on different parts of the get up and unweighted would be a great learning platform for that.

Welcome to the forums!
Some ideas:
Naked warrior gtging OAP and pistols
And add in some crawling
Some mobility work as well
That should be plenty.
Good luck!

Hello,

Progression towards OAOL PU and Pistols. For these moves, I'd use the progression mentioned in TNW. From there, several strategies, depending on the schedule:
- GTG
- 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with 3-5 minutes rest between sets

As far as push goes, you can use several angles (feet on the ground, elevated, HS, etc...) to get a full ROM which will transfer well to the GU.

Then, if you have resistance bands, 3 sets of 10-15 "pull through" to mimick a deadlift / swing.

Then, if you can use DIY pull up handles, this would be a nice addition. Otherwise, door pull ups.

Then, I'd work on my core (Hollow Position (up to 3 minutes), Deadbug (up to 50 each side), HLR (up to 20 total)) 3 times a week

Otherwise, this aricle is great and provide a good strategy:
If you go for it, it will build some great aerobic base. A few sprints every other day, with good rest between each will be perfect in addition.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Guys, thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely focus on OAPU and pistols and mobility, too. I’ll post up a before/after when it’s all said and done.

Hello,

@Facher
There are plenty of more knowledgeable folks than me, but for mobility and flexibility, I always do the exact same routine, on a daily basis. It only lasts a few minutes and does not require space (which can sometimes be useful:
- Front split & lateral split & pancake & deep squat & pistol
- Twist hold
- Full back bridge
- Toe touch (from standing and laying on the ground)
- Hand touch in the back (one arm from the bottom and the other from the top) & 'butterfly swimming motion'
- Duck walk & lizzard walk

I do it daily, religiously for years. It maintains everything since my 17yo (i am now almost 31)

As a precision, once you get the pistol squat, the deep squat of this routine becomes useless because you have the hip mobility.

Kind regards,

Pet'

The great gama protocol by @Pavel Macek might be a good one to follow, there’s some really good daily bodyweight routines involved. Good for building strength and mobility IMHO.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom