all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 28 or 32kg?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Taranenko74

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm more a barbell guy, but got into kettlebells a while ago. The biggest one I have at the moment is 24 kg. Just wondering what's next: 28 or 32?

My present strength & skill level with 24 kg is: getups 3x(1+1), double hand good, solid swings 50 rep, 1-hand press L4/R6, cleans/snatches 5/hand with a good form.

I know I'd manage 28 for the next step but would 32 be too giant leap? What do you think? How should I proceed with programming if I choose 32?

Thanks in advance! Your input will be highly appreciated.

I'd go with the 32. You will end up getting one sooner or later. Just practice each movement for a rep or two with the 32kg and take your time. Tomorrow and each succeeding day will get here. A little bit of practice during each session will add up. It's especially important to finish "fresh." Leave a rep or three in the tank and you will not only be prepared physically for tomorrow, but you will also more eagerly anticipate the next session.

I find 28kg to be a goldilocks size for a lot of drills where 24 is too light, but the volume I can do with 32 is limited.

If I had to get rid of all my bells except one, I would keep the 28.

Not necessarily advice for you, since I can appreciate the case for 32, but that's my experience.

My experience matches @Steve W. If I can only take one bell on a trip, and I'm not training for something specific, it's usually the 28kg for me -- since my options with 32kg are a little more limited (for example: higher volume - or higher density - pressing or snatching). It's highly personal though.

Of course, either could work - and ultimately it depends on your goals (and relative strength level). Put another way, I would work backwards from 1) how comfortable you are today with the 24kg, 28kg, or 32kg, and 2) what you would like to achieve during that time. Then decide which combination of bells will best get you there. Given your numbers, you could certainly stick with the 24kg for a while - personally, it took me *years* until I was doing the Program Minimum with the 28kg. The 24kg was pure magic / just right for a long time.

I'm 100kg (225lbs for you Yankees) and 6ft2 so the 32kg bell is right for me and 28kg would be a waste of money. If you're about my weight you might consider the 32. If you're significantly lighter then me the 28 might be a good choice.

I find 28kg to be a goldilocks size for a lot of drills where 24 is too light, but the volume I can do with 32 is limited.

If I to get rid of all my bells except one, I would keep the 28.

Not necessarily advice for you, since I can appreciate the case for 32, but that's my experience.

28 is a sweet spot for me as well!

A basic set of one 16-24-32 kg bell - will get you a long way.
If you want smaller gaps in weight, buy a little 4kg with a wide handle and stack them (24+4) is your 28kg. This is great for pressing, TGU but ballistics - not so much.

I take the above points though. I've been snatching a 24 in recent weeks. No way would I go near snatching a 32 from here. A 28 would be good as my next bell but still got a lot of milk to squeeze out of my 24 anyway.
For swings though, 24 to 32 is perfectly doable.
My next bell is a 40 for swings, not even considering a 36. Nope.
You may well have a use for a 28 later but if you do it'll be because you can swing a 32.
But really it is about what you want to work on.....Im basing bell progression on the s&s framework , rop and snatching etc may require intermediate sizes. I've used extra plates on my 24 too and that is an option but maybe not for swings .
Overall, swings and get ups - go for big jumps, smaller for everything else.....but that isn't a commandment and could be the other way around for some.

Reactions: jef
Thank you all for your kind support!

You know, I feel so damn stupid: never thought I could use small plates and/or Kb as a supplement for 24k! ROFL That said I'll go for 32k as I do have a lot of extraw. to be taped - just as @dc guessed.

Thx guys! :)

As always the answer is it depends on you. for me a 32 is awesome for swings of all varieties, TGU, Bent press and loaded carries. 28 is great for those + I can snatch it for about 7-8 reps, I can press it for a solid double and if im looking for higher intenty on low rep presses/snatches or do more volume for the other movements its great. so if your just doing Swings Tgu and goblets or your stronger then me get yourself a 32, if your looking for more volume + comfort for a few other movement go for a 28. or make the financially questionable choice I made and buy both...

Agree with others that the 28 is a goldilocks size for me.

Based on your level of comfort with the 24, I think the 32 will be a huge jump and you'll progress better with the 28 as an intermediate step. If finances and space aren't a deciding factor, why not get the 32 after you have owned the 28?

Get a 28 if you can afford it. It seems as some exercises are easier to make big jumps and some not. For instance, didn't have a problem jumping from 24 to 32 on 1H swings, but transitioning from 24 to 32 on ROP presses sucked. I could do a few strict 32 presses but progression was slow, very slow. After getting a 28 and running up to 5x5 ladders with it, the transition to ladders with 32 was a lot better. If it's not in the budget, then you can still make progress going straight to 32, but it will take a lot more patience.

@Kozushi Some of us "Yankees" know metric, especially kilos, so quit being such a hoser, eh! o_O
I'm not even sure the term "Yankee" means what I think it means. It only applies if you're from the Northern states, right?

If you know metric you're smarter than I am since I barely understand Imperial. I kind of get poundage, but Fahrenheit, gallons, ounces, nope.

I didn't think taping weights to a kettlebell was a safe practice.
I’ve done it plenty of times & what I’ve read & seen in this forum so have plenty of other people. As long as you use heaps of heavy duty tape I think it’s fine.

As more of a barbell guy, like you said yourself, I'd go with the 32.
KBs are probably a side dish to your main one and a 24 + 32 are plenty for that.
If you want KBs to be more than a side dish then you'll need to get both.

It's true that routines like RoP or S&S can be done with 8Kg jumps and that there's a certain value in the big jumps, but if you want to mainly work with KBs you'll need the "in-betweeners".
Routines like KB STRONG, KB Muscle, KB Burn, RotK and many of the routines that are outlined in the article section of SF are based on RMs or make use of the 4Kg jumps.
For example KB STRONG uses a 3-5RM. If your 3RM is double 28s you'll need 28s, because 32s will be too heavy (most likely you can't press them once) and double 24s will simply be too light.

So again, are you are barbell guy who wants some of the benefits of KBs to help with your barbell work? Then a 16, 24, 32 and maybe a 40 are all you need.
Do you want to train mainly with KBs? You're better getting the in-betweeners aswell.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom