all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 28 or 32kg?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
28kg, if you are interested in pressing. 32kg, if your interest lies in swings and TGUs.

I bought the 32 to complete S&S (to Simple). While I have worked up to pressing 5 ladders of 5 rungs with the 24, I am not close to ready for any type of pressing program with the 32. So I’ve just bought the 28 for pressing.

Interesting discussion.

I've been on the S&S program for 25 months now. While I was doing the TGUs comfortably with the 40kg bell for a while, I've fallen back to the 32 because I'm involved in judo heavily. Regarding pressing, the 24kg is good enough for me. I can press it comfortably 6 times in a row and I've never gotten much above that. I can press the 32 3 times in a row. Trying to press the 40kg is a hilarious joke. I'm 6ft1, 222lbs and have spent my life in amateur athletics including judo and similar, and supplementary callisthenics, now kettlebells and deadlifts.

While I play with all my toys, all I "need" are one 24kg and 32kg kettlebells, and my 300lbs barbell. It seems my body has hit a kind of wall at this level, which keeps me strong and fit, but is easy to maintain. My body doesn't seem to want to progress past this limit.

As more of a barbell guy, like you said yourself, I'd go with the 32.
KBs are probably a side dish to your main one and a 24 + 32 are plenty for that.
If you want KBs to be more than a side dish then you'll need to get both.

It's true that routines like RoP or S&S can be done with 8Kg jumps and that there's a certain value in the big jumps, but if you want to mainly work with KBs you'll need the "in-betweeners".
Routines like KB STRONG, KB Muscle, KB Burn, RotK and many of the routines that are outlined in the article section of SF are based on RMs or make use of the 4Kg jumps.
For example KB STRONG uses a 3-5RM. If your 3RM is double 28s you'll need 28s, because 32s will be too heavy (most likely you can't press them once) and double 24s will simply be too light.

So again, are you are barbell guy who wants some of the benefits of KBs to help with your barbell work? Then a 16, 24, 32 and maybe a 40 are all you need.
Do you want to train mainly with KBs? You're better getting the in-betweeners aswell.

Great input, thx! As mentioned I'm more in barbell. From kb-world I mostly use swing and tgu. Occasionally I like to shock my body w/ 1-hand cln & fs and sn+ohs - combos- for mobility and rotational-/unilateral strength.

[Sry for layout- sent from mobile.]

So again, are you are barbell guy who wants some of the benefits of KBs to help with your barbell work? Then a 16, 24, 32 and maybe a 40 are all you need.
Do you want to train mainly with KBs? You're better getting the in-betweeners aswell.

This is a really good summary.

There is also secret option number 3: a plate-loaded kettlebell handle. I'm not talking about a T-handle that requires you to use both hands and is only good for swings. I'm talking about something like the Kettlestack handle or the Kettlegrip which is made by Iron Woody. The upside is that these are inexpensive and can be loaded with regular weight plates to all kinds of in-between weights. Great for one-arm swings. The downside is that snatches with plate-loaded handles are not comfortable. Presses are okay but can be awkward depending on how the plates are loaded.

There is also secret option number 3: a plate-loaded kettlebell handle. I'm not talking about a T-handle that requires you to use both hands and is only good for swings. I'm talking about something like the Kettlestack handle or the Kettlegrip which is made by Iron Woody. The upside is that these are inexpensive and can be loaded with regular weight plates to all kinds of in-between weights. Great for one-arm swings. The downside is that snatches with plate-loaded handles are not comfortable. Presses are okay but can be awkward depending on how the plates are loaded.
For someone who mainly uses barbells or calisthenics and wants to spice that up with some swings, TGUs and snatches this is a really good choice IMO: 12-32KG Adjustable Competition Style Kettlebell

What I have done in the past is attach ankle weights around the KB handle. These just wrap,around and fasten with velcro and can help you increase weight less dramatically. With respect to Pavel’s view on the issue of weight increase I have always found that an 8kg increase, for me is immense. So I did invest in a 28.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom