all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 2nd best A+A drill if not the snatch, then which drill?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Any Reason why Single C&J would not work? (3-5 Reps)

Or 5 1H Swings into 1 C&J ?

Last edited:
Another bodyweight option is jumping rope. I can do 20 double-unders in about 10s and it's a similar effect to what I'd feel like (and confirmed with a HR monitor.......doing these Q&D style red-lines my HR by end of a series) running 80m @ ~200m pace; without leaving my driveway.
What would you say to squat thrusts as another bodyweight option?

What would you say to squat thrusts as another bodyweight option?
I'm no trainer so take what I say with appropriate grains of salt...Everything I know about a squat thrust, I learned 5-minutes ago from watching this you-tube video....

....but it seems to me that anything that requires a dynamic power output and you can find a consistent pace for that you could only manage for about 20-30s would work.

Looks to me like it'd work (again, I'm no trainer), if you could find a pace that you actually CAN only hold for 30s; though I'd guess that the challenge would be finding the right pace and holding it as you get tired. One of the nice things about double-unders with a jump rope (or swings or snatches) is that the pace is basically the pace. You're either doing them or you're not. You can't do them appreciably slower or faster. The late sets in late series become, for me, a real mental challenge to get through when my HR is completely red-lining. I'm not sure I'd have the discipline to keep doing squat thrusters at that level.

Any Reason why Single C&J would not work? (3-5 Reps)

Or 5 1H Swings into 1 C&J ?

I take a cue from the power drills suggested by Pavel in Q&D. A+A would just be with heavier weights and lower reps:

Snatches, one-arm Viking push presses, dips (not the horrible behind the back form), pushups, and swings

Another bodyweight option is jumping rope. I can do 20 double-unders in about 10s and it's a similar effect to what I'd feel like (and confirmed with a HR monitor.......doing these Q&D style red-lines my HR by end of a series) running 80m @ ~200m pace; without leaving my driveway.
I too love double unders. Although for me to pass the talk test before my next repeat, I have to limit my set to 10 DU's. I also feel that DU's must have good carryover to sports as one is moving the feet so much.

I take a cue from the power drills suggested by Pavel in Q&D. A+A would just be with heavier weights and lower reps:

Snatches, one-arm Viking push presses, dips (not the horrible behind the back form), pushups, and swings
Thanks for the suggestion, I reread that portion and I like the VPP option

2 Questions

-Would the correct weight be determined similar to the 30 second test for the swing?

-Book suggest CPP was only passed because it is not as suitable for women, does this have to do the upper-body strength ratios or the extra "bouncy" aspect of no pause at the rack?

Thanks for the suggestion, I reread that portion and I like the VPP option

2 Questions

-Would the correct weight be determined similar to the 30 second test for the swing?

-Book suggest CPP was only passed because it is not as suitable for women, does this have to do the upper-body strength ratios or the extra "bouncy" aspect of no pause at the rack?

I can only guess the same test applies. After all, high cadence and full power need to be balanced.

A critical aspect of Q&D that is missed by some is the high stress a balance between high cadence and high power can exert on the body.
The average Jane would clean to the side, and Q&D VPP with such unfavorable leverage would be murder on the shoulder socket. Yet, the same Jane could probably endure LCCJ!

Another limiting factor that applies to all; Both snatches and VPP done Q&D style should be passed by anyone with limited overhead mobility, even if they can get away with A+A snatches at a heavier bell. That's my experience, anyway. Once I upped to 20K Q&D snatches, my shoulders said: "Nope! Get your priorities straight and fix my mobility!"

I too love double unders. Although for me to pass the talk test before my next repeat, I have to limit my set to 10 DU's. I also feel that DU's must have good carryover to sports as one is moving the feet so much.
Yeah, I can't pass the talk test after 20 DU's either. I use them as Q&D/044; so there's no passing the talk test between the sets, only the series. Don't remember how/where I got the idea this was a Q&D thread..... :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom