all posts post new thread

Barbell 3-4 exercise abbreviated routine help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Warzone2022

Level 3 Valued Member
I'm a huge fan of abbreviated routines and have for years, however I've only focused on the big six exercises (bench squat row deadlift press chins)

However, as an experiment I'm wanting to do 1 of 2 routines with 3 or 4 exercises. So for my full body will I be covered?

Option 1
Squat
Bench
Row
3x6-12 with 80% 1rm add weight when I get 3x12
Done twice a week

Option 2
Day 1
Squat
Row

Day 2
Deadlift
Bench press
3x6-12 with 80% 1rm add weight when I get 3x12

I feel option 1 would be better, but what do you think, I'm an average guy that isnt competing but I want to get stronger.

I love abbreviated training and both your options look fine to me. At that frequency, you can afford to up the sets to five and, on that basis, I would use a higher rep set (15 to 20 reps) to begin (like a warm up but make all your sets challenging) and go back to that weight for the fifth set to finish AMRAP (by that stage you may not be able to do that many). Using the first and fifth sets for higher rep training is just what works for me.

BTW: I've been lifting for many years and i autoregulate more than program weight, so I don't do the linear progression. I just do five hard sets (eg 2 to 3 reps close to failure) adjusting weight so I am working out between about 20 and 5 reps per set, with a final AMRAP set at the weight I started with. In a perfect world this would look like 20, 15, 10, 5, AMRAP but it is usually messier. With fatigue, my AMRAP set usually ends up 10 to 15 reps. I should add my goal is hypertrophy/strength. I am always trying to build muscle

Last edited:
I love abbreviated training and both your options look fine to me. At that frequency, you can afford to up the sets to five and, on that basis, I would use a higher rep set (15 to 20 reps) to begin (like a warm up but make all your sets challenging) and go back to that weight for the fifth set to finish AMRAP (by that stage you may not be able to do that many). Using the first and fifth sets for higher rep training is just what works for me.

Thanks Luke, I'll probably do the first option as I can up the frequency of the lifts :) thankyou for the sets/reps idea I'll see if I can adapt to it

Thanks Luke, I'll probably do the first option as I can up the frequency of the lifts :) thankyou for the sets/reps idea I'll see if I can adapt to it

If your goals include building muscle, think about trying to increase the frequency a little. It doesn't have to reach three times weekly, for quite a while I managed five workouts per fortnight and that was better for gains than four. Not that I was complaining about four. Good luck!

Depending on how long your session takes, three sets of each would likely allow you to do all four movements twice per week. Twelve sets, one every five minutes, is only an hour.

I find I need the lowest volume for deadlifts, medium for squats and rows/pull-ups, and higher volume for pressing. 18-36 reps of deadlift twice per week might be a bit much and you could just do some lighter sets considering the squat is included too.

Depending on how long your session takes, three sets of each would likely allow you to do all four movements twice per week. Twelve sets, one every five minutes, is only an hour.

I find I need the lowest volume for deadlifts, medium for squats and rows/pull-ups, and higher volume for pressing. 18-36 reps of deadlift twice per week might be a bit much and you could just do some lighter sets considering the squat is included too.

Hello, I had twice a week in mind and making sure that the volume matches what you said, so twice a week on option 1 is fine?

so twice a week on option 1 is fine?
I don't think you'll have any issues. I've done all four lifts 2-3 times per week a lot. I wouldn't go to failure on the deadlift sets though. I would probably only do one set of deadlifts if you do.

Since your first post mentioned getting stronger, I will add the following:

Day 1, Squat,Bench 2-5 sets, 2-5 reps, 2-5+ minutes rest btw sets
Day 2, Deads, Rows, same as above.

Day 1, Press,Chins, same as above ( this is first workout of 2nd week, day 2 is squat,bench etc) repeat rotation. Load the chins if necessary.

Wave your 1Rmax %'s

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom