all posts post new thread

Barbell 3 barbell lifts only

So what kind of thing they are?
Focus and goals type thing.

Edit: think of it this way. You want a minimalist wardrobe. So you throw away everything except a graphic tee and sweats. Down to two items! Pretty minimalist. Except you work an office job that requires a collared shirt and khakis. It no longer meets the minimal requirements and is not enough.

they are basically trying to decide which graphic tee to keep while ignoring the goal that graphic tees don’t help them achieve.

Hope that makes sense and isn’t too curmudgeon

Last edited:
Back to the OP's question. If the theoretical scenario one finds himself in is out in the bush collecting honey, using archery and saving klutzy friends from cliffs. I'm guessing you can't take your barbell with you. Methinks some other strength training strength training protocol is a better option.

Even if you "prep" now for later, how long do you think your muscles will stick around after you're cut off from the barbell and living in the bush for awhile? Just the caloric deficit you'd go into will kills all your "gainz" within a matter of weeks.
Having walked about a bit in pretty treacherous terrain for some periods of a few weeks on end, and being cut off from the umbilical cord of modern society. It's not always the strongest, nor the fastest who is most successful, but the most cunning, determined and resource efficient in all manner of the elements.

I don’t get the jokes :) that is okay … but I don’t also understand the thread in general because squat/bench/dead is very confusing for me. Because squat is a pattern for me but the others are “lifts” so when one says squat/bench/dead does it mean squat/horizontal press/hinge or backsquat/bench press/deadlift ?

I have seen that some people in this thread is concerned about looks. My experience can shed some light.

Before I knew SF, I was thinking about muscles, and the “looks”. My left chest was smaller in size according to my right chest. I did not ask any expert advice, in the gym I was a member there was a pec machine, at the end of my “workouts” I sit on the machine, and did left arm only chest flys, no need for a program, no need for anything, I have exhausted my chest at least 2-3 times a week with a few sets. As I am an easy gainer, I “fixed” the muscle issue… In my not humble opinion if your goal is to work your “chest” a machine is second to none. You don’t need a program. Do a few sets of machine pecs flys to failure at the end of your work outs your chest will be better than any bench press or OAPU person.

Well, when it comes to getting stronger, things have changed. My left chest looks exactly the same with my right chest. (Funny enough I have received even a compliment on how symmetrical I am) but it does mean nothing. Somehow it is tighter, in a way that it limits my left scapular movement. Hence I can do push ups and or dips, but not overhead press or even a proper TGU not because overhead mobility but because I can’t effectively push the ground with my left arm in sitting position where my right arm is carrying the KB and my left shoulder collapses. It also make me to sit or walk tilted towards left and hunched.

And I have recognized this only after I received feedback on my TGU form from this forum which I am thankful.

Well I will fix those issues, but what I am trying to say, when you are focused on looks and muscles you loose the real picture. When you are focused on getting strong, you find those gaps and improvement areas.

Be strong. That is what it matters, at the end if you are not satisfied with the genetics and hence looks you have as a result of strength work, you can do hypertrophy. Not a very big deal or mystery. (I am not strong so this is not bragging :) just saying)

Last edited:
Still you can get quite strong without loading those patterns

If I understand you correctly, this is a point I agree with and have made in the past: one should move in a variety of ways but one needn't load all movement patterns.

squat is a pattern for me but the others are “lifts”

Again, if I understand you correctly, I also agree with you here. Most of off-competition training cycles find me doing some bodyweight squatting but not squatting with weight. One of the good things about effective minimalist training is that, while you won't become a great barbell back squatter without training it, you'll have a good foundation onto which to build that loaded back squat training should you choose to pursue it.

it is quite rare to find someone just doing rotational work and pulls

Yes, and in my experience, doing anti-rotational training - the one-arm kettlebell swing is a good example - has a great carryover to many things for most people, and the need to actually train rotationally is more going to depend on one's specific training goals.

-S-

If I understand you correctly, this is a point I agree with and have made in the past: one should move in a variety of ways but one needn't load all movement patterns.

Again, if I understand you correctly, I also agree with you here. Most of off-competition training cycles find me doing some bodyweight squatting but not squatting with weight. One of the good things about effective minimalist training is that, while you won't become a great barbell back squatter without training it, you'll have a good foundation onto which to build that loaded back squat training should you choose to pursue it.

Yes, and in my experience, doing anti-rotational training - the one-arm kettlebell swing is a good example - has a great carryover to many things for most people, and the need to actually train rotationally is more going to depend on one's specific training goals.

-S-
Things that you agree with me, are the things that I learned from you :)))) so this means that I am not a bad student…

Ps: To be fair to myself, not just repeating what I have heard. I am implementing and experiencing if it works or not or if it makes sense or not. Although with very limited experience, still I have practical evidence of my learnings.

Back
Top Bottom