all posts post new thread

Barbell 3 barbell lifts only

It’s not that any of these are anti-BB, but most of them have weight classes so if you add mass you can’t be as competitive as you’ll move up weight classes.

There’s a saying that Caio Terra says, “technique conquers all.” Basically, spending time to get bigger is not time better spent than working on your skills for your sport. As many have noted, as you age you will lose speed and power, and if your game relies on that over technique you’ll be screwed.

Pavel has noted this dozens of times. It’s not that he’s anti-bb, it’s just not advantageous for a lot of the people his programs are designed for.
I disagree, how many Bodybuilder vs Black Belt videos has BJJ generated going back to the old Gracie Challenge days? Watching a little guy take out a bodybuilder is one of the founding cornerstones of BJJ marketing in the US. It predates competition BJJ in the states, and therefore weight classes.

Just go in YouTube and search, it still is a major marketing tool.

I mean...3 sets of 12 of face-pull can do wonder for many people's shoulder. Lats, hamstring, glutes,...the muscles in the back side of the body. We can add a bit of volume here and there. It doesn't take much time, maybe 10 minutes at the end of your training session. It pump blood to your choosen muscles, get hypetrophy in the weak areas that usually not get hit by your big lifts (or at least, get a better mind muscle connection so you can fire that muscles better and generate more force in you big lifts)...All the great thing, with minimal effort. And without anabolic steroids I don't think a few sets of face-pull, triceps push down or hamstring curl and make your weight jump that much!

There are two ways of thinking that I saw multi times on our forums, which are:
- if someone does bodybuilding, they must do only small isolated pump kind of exercise and be an entirely useless piece of s*** (okay the word is maybe not exactly like that)
- If you want to gain muscle you must do a ton of big lift 3/clean and press with sets of 5 else you be a weak useless piece of s*** bodybuilder with bubble muscles.
That way of thinking is super strange to me. Bodybuilding and other sport/activities has different level of practice, just like not every organize use kettbells have the same level of knowledge and skin in the game like SF. But now someone from outside of the bodybuilding world, without studies their practice carefully judging about their practice...
This is very different from the mindset "I’m not saying you are wrong. I just know I’m right".

Genetically, I'm better at adding mass than I am at having optimal levers for the various sports I do.

For weightlifting, I'd like to be 1-2" shorter at the same weight.

For rowing, I'd like to be 2-3" taller at the same weight.

Since I can't change my bones, I can add muscle, and seemingly a little more easily than others.

Then I just have to practice and train correctly to turn that muscle into strength and power.

I disagree, how many Bodybuilder vs Black Belt videos has BJJ generated going back to the old Gracie Challenge days? Watching a little guy take out a bodybuilder is one of the founding cornerstones of BJJ marketing in the US. It predates competition BJJ in the states, and therefore weight classes.

Just go in YouTube and search, it still is a major marketing tool.
That’s not anti BB, that’s showing that skill is more important than being big. If you’re around BJJ you’ll know that it isn’t an “or” situation and most people strive for being strong “and” skillful, but there’s not an anti-bb mentality among real Jiu Jitsu athletes.

That’s not anti BB, that’s showing that skill is more important than being big. If you’re around BJJ you’ll know that it isn’t an “or” situation and most people strive for being strong “and” skillful, but there’s not an anti-bb mentality among real Jiu Jitsu athletes.
The whole point of the marketing is to disparage bodybuilders for being big and losing to a smaller opponent. They aren’t marketed as skilled vs unskilled, it’s useless muscles vs BJJ.

As for real Jiujitsu athletes, I’ll leave that to true Scotsman.

One point that I think is often missed is that the bodybuilding/hypertrophy capacity of natural lifters. Yet, the perception of unwanted muscle mass typically comes from bodybuilders juiced to the gills. Have a look at natural physique competition participants instead.

The whole point of the marketing is to disparage bodybuilders for being big and losing to a smaller opponent. They aren’t marketed as skilled vs unskilled, it’s useless muscles vs BJJ.

As for real Jiujitsu athletes, I’ll leave that to true Scotsman.

It is not useless muscles vs BJJ, it is a strong big person without fighting skills vs fighting skills person.

Right, so it's anti-hypertrophy which is where the conversation has turned (and Hung's point).

No, it's not an 'either... or' but you inadvertently did so when you said technique over size/strength. Our problem (and when I say 'our', I mean everyone) is that we set up these false dichotomies that are just silly. I said earlier I don't know anyone who lifts purely for hypertrophy-sake and it's true - I don't know anyone who just wants to be just big, they all want to big AND strong. Likewise, I don't know anyone who wants to be big and unskilled.

Right, so it's anti-hypertrophy which is where the conversation has turned (and Hung's point).

No, it's not an 'either... or' but you inadvertently did so when you said technique over size/strength. Our problem (and when I say 'our', I mean everyone) is that we set up these false dichotomies that are just silly. I said earlier I don't know anyone who lifts purely for hypertrophy-sake and it's true - I don't know anyone who just wants to be just big, they all want to big AND strong. Likewise, I don't know anyone who wants to be big and unskilled.
Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless,
and add what is specifically your own.

----- Bruce Lee

Back
Top Bottom