all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed 3 weeks on 2 weeks off scheduling advice

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve89

First Post
Hey all,

I am hoping to get some programming advice with a unique schedule! For the last 6 months, I have been spending roughly 3 weeks in a row following pttp (love it), followed by 2 weeks travelling all over the world for work (mostly EU <-> Asia). I am really struggling with the two weeks travelling (and associated time zone changes/diet/lifestyle) affecting my ability to progress in my lifts. No possibilities to work out while on the road. I feel like I am completing a 3 week sprint, and then loosing a lot (but not all) of the built up strength during travels.

Background:
-29M, 85kg, 189cm tall, no injuries/mobility issues

Goal: strength, no weight class worries so doesn't matter either way.

Lifts: (x5 working weights)
Dead: 130kg
Bench: 87.5kg
Squat: 117.5kg

Does anyone have advice/experience on how to program training around a similar schedule?

No possibilities to work out while on the road.

I don't know your individual circumstances nor, do I mean any disrespect.... but I don't buy this.

I have traveled for work extensively for decades. Including multi-continental travel. I have never been able not to train whilst traveling.

This includes training for a fairly diverse and sometimes difficult set of events and activities.

It might not be our using our preferred tools and methods but there is always something one can do....

+1 to @offwidth. If you dont train at all during 2 weeks out of 5, I´d say its unlikely you´ll see good progress.

Maybe an alternative is to drop PTTP and to focus on Naked Warrior. That way you can train either when you are at home and when you are abroad.

By the way, if I recall correctly, Naked Warrior suggests to supplement with a big pull. So you could do naked warrior all the time and add deadlifts when at home.

I just got back from a few days with no gear, and was able to play around with some bodyweight A+A. Basically an upper body movement for a set of 1-5 (50% rep max or less for that movement), followed by 8-12 seconds of an explosive lower body movement. I did 5 pushups or 5 chair dips combined with 5-7 squat jumps. I think any upper body push or pull would work (OAPUs and pull ups are on my list to experiment with next time), and you could sub broad jumps, bounds, or very short hill/stair sprints for the squat jumps. The explosive lower body stuff is where most of the benefit comes from, but by pairing it with an upper body movement you end up with a pretty respectable volume for that movement. Figure 15-30 repeats for most sessions, which could take 20-50 minutes.

Edit: I just realized that I meant to post this in another thread but I guess it's still somewhat relevant :confused:. I'm just going to slowly back away...

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom