all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 30-Day Pushup Challenge + Simple & Sinister?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Dayz. It was an email. I don't know how to share it but the crux of it is listed below.

Don't be deceived by the simplicity, some days when I rolled a five/six, I groaned. Admittedly I completed all my reps and sets in full arborist PPE and some days that included full climbing gear and helmet. For the final test some lads done it in their underwear to save a few lbs and crank out another few reps, but that's another story. Oh to be young again and have that youthful exuberance.

Test your max reps (RM) on day one.

Take day two off and start the pushup program on day three. Do no other pushing exercises for the next month.

Train 5-6 days a week. If you are sore, skip a day.

Do a warm-up of choice before the first set of the day.

Every training day do 9 sets spread throughout the day. Rest for a minimum of 15min between sets; there is no upper limit on rest.

Each training day roll a die to determine the percentage of your max reps:

Roll a 1= one third RM.
Roll a 2-4= half RM.
Roll a 5-6= two thirds of RM.

E.g., an athlete has maxed out on the test with 40 perfect reps. 40:3=13.33. Thus, 1/3 RM is 13 reps. 20 reps are 1/2 RM, and 26 reps are 2/3 RM.

Another athlete has maxed out at 10. His or her 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3 are, respectively, 3, 5, and 7 reps.
Two weeks into the program retest your max reps after a day off. Rest the next day.

Recalibrate the 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3 of your max reps and carry on for two more weeks. Then retest in the same manner and post your results on our forum.

Power to your pushups!

Last edited:
@Dayz. It was an email. I don't know how to share it but the crux of it is listed below.

Don't be deceived by the simplicity, some days when I rolled a five/six, I groaned. Admittedly I completed all my reps and sets in full arborist PPE and some days that included full climbing gear and helmet. For the final test some lads done it in their underwear to save a few lbs and crank out another few reps, but that's another story. Oh to be young again and have that youthful exuberance.

Test your max reps (RM) on day one.

Take day two off and start the pushup program on day three. Do no other pushing exercises for the next month.

Train 5-6 days a week. If you are sore, skip a day.

Do a warm-up of choice before the first set of the day.

Every training day do 9 sets spread throughout the day. Rest for a minimum of 15min between sets; there is no upper limit on rest.

Each training day roll a die to determine the percentage of your max reps:

Roll a 1= one third RM.
Roll a 2-4= half RM.
Roll a 5-6= two thirds of RM.

E.g., an athlete has maxed out on the test with 40 perfect reps. 40:3=13.33. Thus, 1/3 RM is 13 reps. 20 reps are 1/2 RM, and 26 reps are 2/3 RM.

Another athlete has maxed out at 10. His or her 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3 are, respectively, 3, 5, and 7 reps.
Two weeks into the program retest your max reps after a day off. Rest the next day.

Recalibrate the 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3 of your max reps and carry on for two more weeks. Then retest in the same manner and post your results on our forum.

Power to your pushups!
Thank you so much for sharing! I'll definitely try this at some point. Thank you

Hello to everyone, i decided to try this program about one month ago and i finished it just right 2 days ago , these are my results:
First text = 30
Middle test = 45
Final test = 51
What do you think about it?
In conclusion, just out of curiosity, i wanted to make you some questions about parameters.
Why program with a dice? instead of using linear programs such as 33% - 50% - 66% or 66% - 50% - 33%.
Why just 9 as volume of the entire program?
I have to say that i really enjoyed to challenge me , hope to try something else and see you next time.
That's my first post, i'm from italy, hope my english was good, if not, feel free to correct me.

Hello to everyone, i decided to try this program about one month ago and i finished it just right 2 days ago , these are my results:
First text = 30
Middle test = 45
Final test = 51
What do you think about it?
In conclusion, just out of curiosity, i wanted to make you some questions about parameters.
Why program with a dice? instead of using linear programs such as 33% - 50% - 66% or 66% - 50% - 33%.
Why just 9 as volume of the entire program?
I have to say that i really enjoyed to challenge me , hope to try something else and see you next time.
That's my first post, i'm from italy, hope my english was good, if not, feel free to correct me.
Welcome! Don't worry about your English (it is fine) and congratulations on 70% increase!

Well, for now let's just accept that the program works.

I haven't attended PlanStrong or StrongEndurance, but here are some thoughts anyway:
  • The programming is based on variability and contrasting stimuli. Adaptations are apparently stronger when your body cannot predict the program. ("Waving the load" is another key term). Therefore the die rolling. And a focus on medium volume days is based on Russian research, too.
  • 9 sets: Maybe based on Russian research on slow twitch endurance. However, all programs have fixed and variable parts (sets, reps, loads, rest periods, exercise selection, etc.). This allows you a certain amount of average volume for the challenge. Classic Grease the Groove training will allow you to do more or less sets, so there is nothing wrong with that.
  • And the long rests allow your energy systems to recover relatively completely and improve quality reps while minimizing fatigue.

Welcome! Don't worry about your English (it is fine) and congratulations on 70% increase!

Well, for now let's just accept that the program works.

I haven't attended PlanStrong or StrongEndurance, but here are some thoughts anyway:
  • The programming is based on variability and contrasting stimuli. Adaptations are apparently stronger when your body cannot predict the program. ("Waving the load" is another key term). Therefore the die rolling. And a focus on medium volume days is based on Russian research, too.
  • 9 sets: Maybe based on Russian research on slow twitch endurance. However, all programs have fixed and variable parts (sets, reps, loads, rest periods, exercise selection, etc.). This allows you a certain amount of average volume for the challenge. Classic Grease the Groove training will allow you to do more or less sets, so there is nothing wrong with that.
  • And the long rests allow your energy systems to recover relatively completely and improve quality reps while minimizing fatigue.
Thank you so much for the answer, really interesting!!!

Hey all

Apart from some stellar work and results in terms of increased pushup numbers - what other results did anyone else report eg improvements in other pressing movements, hypertrophy etc?

As far as the test goes....I got 40 reps but....30 were in one go and for the last 10 - 4 were done 2 at a time with a brief pause at the top of the pushup .... and the last 6 were singles with a brief pause at the top of the pushup.

Is my max 40 (knowing the last 10 had mino pauses in a straight arm plank position), or 30 because it was one set unbroken?

Richard

Last edited:
Hey all

Apart from some seller work and results in terms of increased pushup numbers - what other results did anyone else report eg improvements in other pressing movements, hypertrophy etc?

As far as the test goes....I got 40 reps but....30 were in one go and for the last 10 - 4 were done 2 at a time with a brief pause at the top of the pushup .... and the last 6 were singles with a brief pause at the top of the pushup.

Is my max 40 (knowing the last 10 had mino pauses in a straight arm plank position), or 30 because it was one set unbroken?

Richard
My vote is 40.

Yes it is. I hope to increase my Push-up RM, and I'm very interested in Strong Endurance as well as in Plan Strong principles. The plan looks easy and should not interfere with my other activities. One thing I'm wondering is should I continue do Burpees 3 times a week? Maybe reduce it to 2 session, or ditch totally for a month?
I’d probably drop the burpee’s for the 30 days, or just on session a week so you don’t back slide and just maintain.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom