all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 300 swings a day challenge

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
As for issues with blisters: This is Pavels recommendation from S+S

Pavel said:
Do not let me catch you wearing those sissy gym gloves! Thin cotton gardening gloves with the fingers cut off are acceptable.

So are “sock sleeves,” as suggested by Tracy “The Swing Queen” Reifkind, SFG. You will need a pair of medium thickness crew socks—new socks, since worn elastic will not hold the sleeves in place. Cut off the tops of the socks, about two inches wide, three if you have big hands. Center the sock sleeve on the callus line and you are ready for swings. You may use sock sleeves all the time or just for an occasional high-volume challenge. Do not wear them for get-ups.

Tsatsouline, Pavel. Kettlebell Simple & Sinister . Unknown. Kindle-Version.

It's all I can do to talk myself in to doing s&s 4 days a week, but I would do bi-pedal travel 14 hour a day ×7 days a week if I could . I find any training done inside mind boringly numbing.
My point being, do the training you will do. Something done consistently is better then anything done never.
You'll loose weight at the table, just move.

I would take 24 kg bell and work from 3 sets of 10/15/25 reps through full 5 sets of 10/15/25/50 reps. Then I would complete 10k with 24 kg bell and hit the program again but slowly switching 24 to 32 kg.

As a longtime fan of the two-handed swing, one of my favorites is 10 sets of 25 swings with a KB heavy enough to make the last few reps challenging, and one minute of jump rope between sets, with only enough rest in between to avoid feeling completely out of breath.

It’s great for dropping weight and for building stamina, and by racing against the clock, it never gets boring!

And the WTH effect makes it even better! ;)

The hard style kettlebell challenge by Dan John is a good book. A similar but different approach to introducing the kettlebell to a novice girevek.

A few colleagues of mine want to do a 100 straight swing challenge similar to this,

for a month during our lunch hour. Have any of you done this before? Just wondering what would be a suggested weight to accomplish this while maintaining good form for all 100 straight reps. The person in the video suggests 15-20lb. but is that too light?

The person in the video suggests 15-20lb. but is that too light?

Too light for 100 swings? No.

Too light to do anything effective as far as developing power and strength? Yes.

A lot of people outside of StrongFirst use the swing for conditioning. Here, we use it MOSTLY for power and strength development, so we use a heavier weight, do swings in sets of 10 or so with recovery between, and focus on technique. Generally speaking, you can't do all that, and go for 100 in a row.

So, it all comes down to your objectives. What she's doing is fine for conditioning, just as jumping rope or doing an elliptical machine. But it's not much of a StrongFirst hardstyle swing.

If you have a lot of weight to lose and are looking to move more adherence will be the key. Things like 300 swings-a-day sound great on Day 1 but after a week or so it can become a grind. Alternatively, get a fitness tracker/ HRM and set a daily goal or just move for an hour or two.

Ultimately it will depend whether you are a focussed type (maybe even slightly OCD), and will keep going with the Swing challenge until its finished, and/ or you see the results you want, or if you prefer lots of variety in your routine. Do you travel at all? If so following a strict challenge like 300 Swings/ day is hard when you have to break the schedule.

Maybe S&S (or 100 swings A+A style), plus walking/ cycling/ general activity for 1+ hours/ day is a better option. And for your gym membership you can probably buy a decent Kb and keep it at home to use throughout the day.

A few colleagues of mine want to do a 100 straight swing challenge similar to this,

for a month during our lunch hour. Have any of you done this before? Just wondering what would be a suggested weight to accomplish this while maintaining good form for all 100 straight reps. The person in the video suggests 15-20lb. but is that too light?

I am not too much of a fan of challenges. Maybe a density protocol would ensure that you work with proper technique: Like: Set a timer for 10 minutes and do as many quality reps as you can with a given weight. Don't go close to failure within a given set. Do only about a third to a half of what you could do in a single set. Over the course of the rounds volume will build up and fatigue will set in anyway. Rest as needed. And remember: You want to do it again the next day, so keep something in the tank.

You could also do this with 2 exercises, switching back and forth between them, like swings and marching. Or swings and jumping rope. Or crawling and marching. Or pushups and squats. But NEVER compromise form. Might be good to have two workouts to choose from everyday to keep spirits high.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom