all posts post new thread

Old Forum 32 kg get ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Looking for some guidance and advice if I may, please:

Early in my transition to the 32 from the 24 I built up to 10 get ups with the 32 as I hadn't got the swing numbers up with the 32. Figured all was well but once I got the swing numbers to 100 and started to regularly swing with those numbers, the get ups plunged. I regressed to doing singles, up to 3 and back to 1 again, the 24 at other times. Anyway have now got to 10 get ups yesterday with walking around rest breaks. Really needed a day off today. Not sore, hurt, just fatigued. Looking at ways to proceed as the 32 is a different kind of monster, to me anyway - with lighter bells I got to 10 and just motored along. So I'm thinking of a light, medium, heavy approach, say respectively 3,4,5 sets with the 32, with others at 24 OR just hanging in there with the full house with rest as needed and to gradually smooth it all out? I did that with previous bells but, as I say, that 32 may call for a different approach. Any views, opinions, experiences on either approach? Thank you all again in appreciation of words of wisdom.....

I'd say just hang in there. Take your time It will Smooth out eventually. As the weight gets heavier you need to take your rest as needed. Always train safe!

Congratulations on getting the swing numbers up there with the 32. That can really take a toll on the core. No wonder the getups are harder.

I've been there with my TGUs, only with a 40 kg kb. One thing that I know now is that the combination of one-hand swings and TGUs, with a challenging weight, is much tougher than it seems. It is a bit like combining, in one training session, heavy deadlifts, weighted pull ups, and heavy bench press. Really tough on the shoulders. What I personally find the best to do, when your shoulders say "no", is to apply the pendulum principle, as stated by Louie Simmons: "if you can't go forward, go back". Scale back in weight (in your case it would be 24 kg), focus on patterning movements like farmer's walks, two-hand swing, ab roll, goblet squat, light overhead press etc. Maybe the GTG protocol would be a good idea. Give yourself a few weeks of solid, consistent construction (reconstruction?) of conjunctive tissues in your shoulders.

to clarify,

you are doing S and S, struggling to get all 10 getups with the 32, am I correct?

why not start off by doing just 1 getup per side with the 32, stay with it till you feel strong then eventually add another rep per side?

After a recovery day yesterday which was largely spent eating, eating and eating a bit more, followed up by a very good sleep. Up and at it today, feeling ok and figured I'll just stick in there and take on the 32 the 10 times. Think it may have been psychological - a plateau buster or something - because it all went ok. 15 minutes for the get ups, didn't feel the need for long, long rests, all fine and as Travis said there, I'll just smooth it out and steadily shave off the time. See how it goes. Thank you all for the suggestions. I do and will continue doing light days but they are light mobility days with a light weight. And going to eat more! A lot more, apologies for anyone on a weight loss/fat loss thing as perhaps that is why I feel wiped sometimes after heavy get ups. So we'll see.....thanks again

I currently am working with the 40kg and there are days when I can do the getups after the swings in around 12 min and there are days when I take 15-20 min. I just go with how my body feels that day.

I find heavier get-ups quite mentally fatiguing - I have even caught myself yawning between reps before.

I've never been afraid to drop to a lighter bell to finish a session if I have been struggling. It is definitely a movement I apply 'better safe than sorry' to.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom