all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 32 Kg snatch check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

King Cobra Fit

Matt - CSEP-CPT, SFG I, FMS I&II
Hey Everyone,
I’ve been really working on getting my comfort with heavier snatches up in an effort to make 5 mins with the 24 “easy”.

The 32 is feeling good but as always it good to have a seconds (or dozens of) sets of eyes check it out.

Any feedback is welcome.

Please let me know if there are any issues with the vids.

As always, much respect and many thanks everyone.

My critiquing neurons might not be firing yet, but I really can't see anything at all to critique on these. Quite excellent snatches with the 32!

Maybe someone else will catch something...

The lockout looks solid and you look plenty strong enough to do these. My one suggestion would be to try to load up your hips more on your backswing. There is a bit of catch, slow down, and re-accelerate going on. Best if you can, as with a swing, minimize the time at the back/bottom by loading it and then explosively releasing that load.

-S-

@King Cobra Fit, do you find your arm swing helps with power production? I've seen and tried many different styles, but I find when I use more of an arm swing I don't control my swings nearly as well.

Hitting 100 snatches @24 in 5mins should not be too hard for somebody snatching the 32 with such ease ;)

@wespom9 I'm sure it helps a little for power production but I'm not sure how much, I think it's just a habit carry over from my 1h swing. Mind you my free arm swing in the 1H swing is much "tighter", it gets a little looser with heavy snatches.

Thanks @Marc thats the idea haha my best has been 103 in 5 mins last TSC, I'd love to get into the 110's+

I'm snatching again today so I'll give your suggestions a try @Steve Freides . So what you're saying is to start my drive a split second sooner?

Thanks very much everyone, I'm actually looking forward to (as much as you can look forward to;) my snatch test

ok just as a quick update,
@Steve Freides I sped up the turn around in the bottom and It did feel like I had a little more power but it also got my HR up a little quicker. I've been snatching with my HR monitor the last couple of months and have been good at keeping my HR below my MAF level. I still didn't pass my MAF number but I did brush up against it a few times haha. All in all, they felt really good. I will keep practicing this for the next few sessions.

(full disclosure, I'm only on sets of 4 OTM for 10/14/20 mins and slowly adding in the 32 to my 28 Kg snatches, I'll be snatching the 32 exclusively the week after next, then the reps start to increase slightly. that is where the truth will come out haha)

Thanks again.

@King Cobra Fit, if you need your HR lower, use a lighter weight or do fewer reps. Unless you're specifically targeting some kind of strength-endurance protocol we no longer use much of at StrongFirst, you want to be maximally explosive and everything follows from that. I think you know all this, so forgive me preaching to the proverbial choir.

-S-

Thanks @Steve Freides I'm following a version of a Strong Endurance protocol and have been using my HR monitor to watch mostly my recovery between bouts while keeping the reps explosive. I'm very excited to see how it affects my next snatch test with the 24.

@King Cobra Fit
Looks good overall, but I have a few observations/suggestions for fine tuning.

On the upswing:
It looks like the bell is swinging a little far out in front out of the hole, more like the path of a swing. This pulls your arm away from your torso a little early, which I think costs you some power, and then you have to reel the bell back in as it comes up.

Try focusing on keep you upper arm pinned down as long as possible as you extend your hips and knees. Let the momentum of the bell bend your arm at the elbow, and then carry the upper arm away from the body as it rises. I use the cue "Arm down!" as I am driving with my hips to remind me to keep my upper arm connected as long as possible. I also think of it as snatching "through the rack," as if the bell is ballistically flying through the rack position on its way overhead (it's not exactly the same path, just a cue to find the right groove for the snatch). Just like you can clean a bell keeping a magazine pinned in your armpit, I try to keep my upper arm pinned down as long as possible through upswing of the snatch. Then you just have to get a feel for the timing of relaxing so that the bell can fly up unrestricted.

Not only do I think keeping the arm down gives better power transfer, but it also keeps the bell path in close to the body so you don't have to pull it in or lean forward to meet it, and it isn't swinging backward and cranking on your shoulder at the top. This last is not a problem for you, but is for a lot of folks. However, I do notice that you are snatching to point a little out in front and then leaning forward a little into the catch. I try to think of my desired lockout position as a target and then imagine a straight vertical line down from that spot. Then I imagine snatching "on the line" to hit that target position. This way, I am snatching straight TO the lockout instead of the bell swinging back into the lockout or having to lean forward into the lockout. Again, this is a cue and not necessarily a literal description of the actual bell path.

On the drop:
It looks like you are letting the bell fall and then absorbing the brunt of the drop at the bottom. No problem with a lighter bell, but it requires an adjustment with a more challenging weight. The trick is to start absorbing some of that force on the way down and smoothly transfer it to your hips so you are in good position to drive the bell up again, and don't get such an abrupt yank on your grip (and possibly shoulder and back). This overlaps with @Steve Freides's comment above (quoted below):

My one suggestion would be to try to load up your hips more on your backswing. There is a bit of catch, slow down, and re-accelerate going on. Best if you can, as with a swing, minimize the time at the back/bottom by loading it and then explosively releasing that load.

It looks like you are absorbing all the force of the drop at the bottom, which pulls the bell down too low vertically between your knees (especially on your left side). Then, after absorbing the downward force of the drop, you try to sweep the bell back into the backswing to set up for the next rep.

So what you're saying is to start my drive a split second sooner?

I can't speak for Steve, but I DON'T think this is the solution. IMO, the key is to better set up the backswing on the drop so as to absorb the force of the bell with your hips. In fact, especially with a challenging bell, it's generally better to be more patient in letting the backswing complete before initiating the hip drive, and more patient in ramping up the force of the hip drive itself. If you start the forward hip drive too soon, some of your power gets wasted braking and reversing the backward momentum of the bell. It also puts a lot more strain on your grip. If you wait until the bell is just about to pendulum forward passively on its own, then all of your hip drive goes toward propelling the bell forward. With a heavy bell, I also find it is a lot more powerful to think about FINISHING the hip drive strongly, ramping up the power out of the hole, rather than starting the hip drive explosively. I've found that being more patient is actually objectively faster. When I get the timing right, it feels subjectively slower, but the bell just flies up relatively effortlessly, and if I'm using a clock the time for each set is actually shorter.

So here are some suggestions for the drop:
Counterbalance/"make space for the bell"/"play tug o'war with the bell." These are all ways of saying the same thing. If you stand up vertically straight and drop the bell in front of the plane of your body, then it's going to be out in front when it reaches the bottom. This makes it harder to absorb the force of the drop and harder to sweep the bell back into the backswing. Instead, lean back away from the bell and make some space for the bell to drop straight down from the lockout, rather than dropping out in front. As the bell starts to drop, you can start to absorb some of the force of the drop by leaning back against it as if you are playing tug o'war.

Shorten the lever arm. Just like I try to keep my upper arm down and connected to my body as long as possible on the upswing, I want to get my elbow in get my upper arm locked into my torso as early as possible on the drop, snatching "through the rack" on the way down. Getting my arm locked down helps me to better absorb the force of the drop, so the bottom part of the drop is more like dropping a clean from the rack and I don't have the whole force of a drop from overhead hitting all at once at the bottom.

Hope this helps. These are suggestions based on my experience and practice, and not meant to necessarily prescribe one best way to snatch. Experiment and find what works for you.

BTW, I've found that working with heavier bells has a lot of carryover to the 24kg and the snatch test. However, for the tests, there's no substitute for practice with longer continuous sets and practice tests to get a feel for pacing and learning to stay relaxed through fatigue, etc. For me, 32kg was my short set power training bell, 28kg was the sweet spot for my longer set overload bell, and of course 24kg was my long set/practice test/testing bell.

Last edited:
@SteveW., another great analysis of the many subtle changes to improve the snatch. I'm into 2 weeks of snatching and your cues on the drop are going into my next practice, thank you and thanks @King Cobra Fit for allowing that to happen!
Something I've noticed, and I've recalled some pointers about absorption on the downswing, and have tried to in the nanosecond that it occurs experiment a little with grip/timing but not quite hit the spot. That lean back thing is a great tip and can immediately see the potential for a valuable little tweak. Superb.

Thanks @Steve Freides I'm following a version of a Strong Endurance protocol and have been using my HR monitor to watch mostly my recovery between bouts while keeping the reps explosive. I'm very excited to see how it affects my next snatch test with the 24.
Again, not meaning to preach to the choir, but I don't think - perhaps I'm wrong - the program wants you to sacrifice explosive power for a lower heart rate. From what I see in your video, I believe you can be more explosive and that, in turn, should help you reap even more benefit from the program.

-S-

Unless you're specifically targeting some kind of strength-endurance protocol we no longer use much of at StrongFirst,

Steve, could you expand on this a bit? Do you mean that things like the 10-minute, 200 rep snatch test from ROP , and the 10,000 swing challenge are de-emphasized? If so, why is that?

Thanks @Steve W Those are some great tips. I will work those suggestions into my practice tomorrow and see what we see. The lean back on the drop used to be more prominent in my technique and has creped out of it. perhaps I was able to get away with it more easily with a "lighter" bell. It's funny because all of your tips are the same ones that I give to my students haha. "The difference between the elite and rest is that the elite are better at the basics". Just have to keep practicing.

My plan is to stick with the anti-glycolytic training with the 32 until 4 weeks out of the TSC, then switch back to the 24-28 for 3 weeks of more glycolytic/longer sets, with a 1 week deload before the event. This should give me enough time to find my "new" pace and get used to embracing the suck a bit more.

Perhaps making these slight modifications will assist me in keeping my power output up. My HR still gets into the high 140's and low 150's at the end of each set, and I feel like they are pretty close to "max" power, but I will have a little gut check at my next session to make sure that I'm not tapping the breaks sub-conscientiously.

Thank you very much all!

It's funny because all of your tips are the same ones that I give to my students haha.

It's often a lot easier to give good advice others. You know the old line about how a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client ;-).

This was actually a big thing that certification did for me. It reminded me of all the things I already knew I was supposed to be doing, but didn't always actually do.

Steve, could you expand on this a bit? Do you mean that things like the 10-minute, 200 rep snatch test from ROP , and the 10,000 swing challenge are de-emphasized? If so, why is that?
The A + A protocols are much discussed here, @MarkSch. I don't think any particular goal has been de-emphasized but rather our focus has been on the methods, which can be applied to the goals you mention and others as well.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom