all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 32 Kg snatch check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ok here’s a clip of my practice from today
Today’s session - 20 mins OTM (Strong Endurance protocol from @Pavel Macek )
4x1 @28 / 4x6 @32 /4x3 @28 (alternating left and right)
The last portion of the vid is a set from Wednesday with a set from today for a slight contrast.

@Steve W. i found leaning back on the drop and taming the arc a little more on the drive a bit easier with the 28 vs the 32 but it felt alright. I will keep working to Find that sweet spot. My grip was giving me issues at the start due to the nature of the polished handle of the sport bell (32 Kg) But drying my hands off between sets helped (I ran out of chalk).

I feel like I was putting max power into each rep but my HR remained in check and my breathing was talk test levels as well. Over all I found this very encouraging!

Here’s my HR data from today as well.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone and if you see anything else please let me know.

Attachments

• BB59ECF9-4486-4253-A8E2-BFB5C29B5A8B.jpeg
    BB59ECF9-4486-4253-A8E2-BFB5C29B5A8B.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 9
@King Cobra Fit I'm at the same stage of snatching as yourself. I think you could get more of a hinge in the back swing, this would allow you develop more power in the snatch. I do this by waiting for my forearm to hit my groin before hinging, then hinging the hips as far back as possible before exploding the upswing from the glutes. This is easier with the 28 than the 32 at the moment for me, but I'm practising .

in the new video, the bell path definitely looks better. You're keeping the elbow in on the way up and getting it in faster on the way down. I think you could still counterbalance more and make a little more space for the bell, which would set you up for a better back swing and deeper hinge. But if you felt insecure in your grip without chalk that's going to mess up your catch and backswing at the bottom, as described below.

i found leaning back on the drop and taming the arc a little more on the drive a bit easier with the 28 vs the 32 but it felt alright.

One thing I've found is that with a challenging bell, some of the things your body instinctively does to try to reduce the stress on the grip are actually counterproductive. When I find myself trying to "feather" the drop, it messes up my timing, the bell drops too low and too straight down at the bottom, I don't get a good backswing or deep enough hinge, have less power and more abrupt stress on my grip. So any technique adjustment is harder to implement with a heavier bell, not just because the weight is heavier, but because I have to overcome the subconscious tendency to compensate for the heavier weight, instead of just executing the technique as intended.

I will keep working to Find that sweet spot.

Yep, that's the process. Try stuff until you stumble into an especially good rep. Then try to replicate it. Then try to replicate it consistently. Rinse and repeat forever.

My grip was giving me issues at the start due to the nature of the polished handle of the sport bell (32 Kg) But drying my hands off between sets helped (I ran out of chalk).

I'd expect chalk to make a big difference (it does for me). When you aren't fully secure and confident in your grip, it causes you to subconsciously distort your technique as described above.

I just wanted to drop this here (some pun intended).

Been focusing on the drop as well as the drive and keeping the bell a little closer. Leaning away to make space for the bell (@Steve W. )
It’s feeling pretty good. Def finding more “ah that’s it” reps as I practice.

Also Been focusing on the keeping my power up on each rep (@Steve Freides ) and while my goal isn’t to keep my heart rate low, I’ve been tracking it to track changes in conditioning and even while maintaining my power out put my HR doesn’t exceed 143. We’ll see what happens as I start to slowly move from sets of 4 OTM to sets of 6.

I have to say as I dive deeper and deeper into the minutia of the snatch and tease out the finer points, I’m falling deeper and deeper in love with it. Bring on the TSC!

Thanks again for all of the feedback everyone. “Steel sharpens Steel” as they say

Slowed this vid down.

@King Cobra Fit
Looks good.

It’s feeling pretty good. Def finding more “ah that’s it” reps as I practice.
Excellent. At this point, a lot of those "happy accident" reps will be very subtle. You feel the difference, but someone watching might not notice anything different.

Slowed this vid down.
YouTube lets you watch videos down to quarter speed. It's nice to be able to analyze in slow motion, but also see it at regular speed.

BTW, I really liked your AGT article. The money analogy works really well.

32kg AGT should be a great base for the TSC, but make sure you have a plan for event specific training (I'm guessing you already do). You can't AG your way through a five minute competition. Even with a much lighter weight there's a big difference between a 4 or 6 rpm and 25+. You also want to stretch out the number of consecutive reps you can do without switching hands, and generally get comfortable with the suck.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom