all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 32 Stone

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Leighton

First Post
Hi guys, forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask - but I’m after some initial guidance.
As the title says, I’m 32 stone in weight and I stand 5ft 11” tall.
I’m interested in beginning strength training, I find myself incredibly inspired and motivated by WSM Eddie Hall.
My issue is, how to start? Should I cut my weight? Is my weight an advantage since “weight moves weight” as they say?
Should I do cardio or focus primarily on weights? Which weights should I use?
As you can tell I’m a complete beginner.

I would ask your doctor before starting any exercise programs. Even daily walking. Not just saying this. Really, ask your doctor.

Your doctor will know which questions to ask and be able to answer your questions about exercise, because they know your medical history.

Great to hear that you're that inspired and motivated!

If Eddie Hall is your inspiration, I would steer you towards basic barbell training. If possible, get some in-person coaching from someone who knows what he's doing. Maybe join a local lifting club or such. The internet is full of great programs, but nothing beats getting real advice in person.

Am I correct that 32 stone is 200kg? That's a lot of weight. If so, you're definitely better off losing some weight. But I'm sure just getting more physically active, like with the training you're interested in, will be a great step in the right direction.

Welcome Leighton :)
Setting goals helps, and allows you to begin training towards them (as opposed to 'working out').
Strength goals are recommended because strength will have benefits you will feel before cardio related improvements. Strength will allow you to feel prouder of gains/improvements much sooner.
Which weights? Ones that make your body respond. Ones you automatically brace/tense to control (but remain within your control.
Initially aim to simply hold the weight, ie sets of holding a 16kg bell by the horns, for a length of time which is repeatable for you. Ie requires attention but without becoming a struggle.
By following S1 protocols (ie resting between reps until you can perform the next rep in a controlled manner, using good form, applying whole body connection/tension). You will get strong - you will like being stronger. Enjoy your journey.

Leighton

In lieu of other responses let me fill out a bit on what I said...

The bitter truth of training is doing something once won't have much effect.
The flip side of training is also true: Doing plentiful WILL have an effect.

PS Don't worry about having to train frequently - because the other advantage is - that each time doesn't have to last very long :)

I still think free-weight training might be a good beginning.
(Safely) hold a 12kg or 16kg kettlebell (Or BB plate) close to your chest. How does it feel?
Well that's fine, but that is not enough information yet! Find out if it feels the same the next day. And the next.
Are you stronger at certain times of the day/week, or under certain circumstances (better sleep)? Does it begin feel harder or easier to hold the weight? Are you going faster than your system is comfortable with? Can you do it and smile at the same time? How are you breathing?

Take your time to introduce weight bearing over a period of time. Play with duration (sets/reps/tut).

No harm in incorporating recovery breath practice before after or between reps (always be breathing slower)

After a month adaptions WILL have taken place in your body. & the start of your journey is one month behind.

Over time, you will progress. Consider a time ahead of you and you're comfortable holding a 20kg or 24kg bell or plate.
You will be a much stronger person, and it should feel nice.

After a month it might cross your mind to begin incorporating variation days. Consider barbell work or other KB isometric work; which would be rack holds; suitcase holds; or cook carry sequence. All of these can help make you stronger, if you use good programming and good form.

Misc. considerations.
I've just received Original Strength (OS) restoration because of the way a lot of inspirational folk here have spoken about it. Search the forum for more info.

MAF walking can be a tool used to accomplish many goals, and many would agree its a good suppliment to a beginners plan. Walk tall.

Log what you feel because a training log can develop into a good place to ask questions.

Consult a professional if walking or any of it causes pain or lengthy discomfort.

A SF instructor will be a good resource at any stage.

Programing any of the above will be personal to you, your ability, and your goals.

And now for something completely different.
That E Hall half-ton deadlift was inhuman!!!

Great you have some inspiration and motivation! At that bodyweight, get to a doctor and get a good physical exam before doing anything- make sure there are no heart or circulatory issues that could be exacerbated by lifting weights! Get on a healthy eating/nutrition plan- that's always a good idea for all of us, no matter what weight we are. Take it one step at a time, and gradually you'll become more like Eddie Hall!!!!

Your strength journey should start at the beginning. Start with push ups and air squats. Learn proper form and get stronger. Cardio is the second pillar. Walking is your mode of choice. Alternatively use an airdyne or similar machines. Use a heart rate monitor to check the intensity.
Diet is the third pillar. Start with basics. Do you cook? Do you eat colorful vegetables? Do you eat breakfast?

And please, if you haven't already, consult your doctor in your journey. Given your weight and height you are morbidly obese. Weight loss is crucial for your well being. Luckily, strength training will be very helpful. You can get stronger and lose weight simultaneously.
In addition to your doctor I suggest the book "Strong Medicine" written by a medical doctor and a legend in the strength field. It explains all things strength, cardio, stress, nutrition etc and will help your journey immensely.

I wish you truly all the best and keep us updated in your process. This forum is full of very knowledgeable people.

And remember, Eddie Hall retired as soon as he reached his goal and reduced his body weight drastically as this weight was not sustainable and put him at a huge health risk.

I think everyone in this thread has the best intentions,

but it's worth mentioning that exercise of any kind can be very dangerous to some individuals

I don't know @Leighton 's age, or whether he has a history of respiratory or cardiac issues.

This happens more than you might think - people eager to get in shape will start an exercise program and work their heart to a point where it tires of malfunctions.

I am guessing that with your reference weight in stones that you in the UK. If so, you might seek out information from the Public Health Collaboration. There are multiple doctors from the NHS that are members. I have benefitted from their lectures, on YouTube, since I am in the US.

Here is a link: https://phcuk.org/

They seem to have plenty of free resources to further your goal to improve your strength to weight ratio.

Consider the Pareto Distribution as you move forward. You may know it as the 80/20 rule. In many cases much of an individuals increase in performance happens outside the gym. Sleep and when/what you eat translates incredibly to watching numbers going down on the scale and up on the bar.

Set your bar low, aka goals, and look for wins every day. This may be one extra minute of walking; learning about a technique online; reading a nutrition article, etc.

It is a journey. Take it one day at a time. You prevail by what you do consistently.

All the best as you press forward to realize your goals!

Hi guys, forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask - but I’m after some initial guidance.
As the title says, I’m 32 stone in weight and I stand 5ft 11” tall.
I’m interested in beginning strength training, I find myself incredibly inspired and motivated by WSM Eddie Hall.
My issue is, how to start? Should I cut my weight? Is my weight an advantage since “weight moves weight” as they say?
Should I do cardio or focus primarily on weights? Which weights should I use?
As you can tell I’m a complete beginner.

Per the other solid advice, get cleared by your Dr if possible first.
You will want to cut weight while doing cardio and resistance training.

A general recommendation would be walking/fast walking 4xweek and resistance training 3x. Start out slow and easy and work up to 45 minutes to an hour for you cardio/aerobic.

General resistance training would be a hinge or deadlift movement pattern, a squat pattern, and some form of push or press and pull or row. Weights would have to be determined by you, how much you can lift safely and with good form.

A range of load and rep/set schemes are a good idea, you want some heavier weight/low rep work to help with strength and some higher rep/low weight done in circuits primarily to give the best blend of weight loss to strength gains.

More advice would require more info about what you can currently do and what gear you have available.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom