all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 35 pullups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That is just sick.

@Kyle Kowalczuk , a few questions out of awe-inspired curiosity:
  1. Was that all done continuously? Or do you take a few "rests" hanging from the bar?
  2. How long do you figure it took (i.e. how long were you hanging on the bar)?
  3. What's your max weighted pullup?
  4. Can you do a one-arm pullup?
Impressive stuff.

That is just sick.

@Kyle Kowalczuk , a few questions out of awe-inspired curiosity:
  1. Was that all done continuously? Or do you take a few "rests" hanging from the bar?
  2. How long do you figure it took (i.e. how long were you hanging on the bar)?
  3. What's your max weighted pullup?
  4. Can you do a one-arm pullup?
Impressive stuff.
1. It was done with taking rests while hanging. I did 19 I think without stopping.
2. It took about 3min 19sec
3. My personal best is 160# added weight. I weigh 170#
4. Yes, 3-8 on each arm depending on whether or not my elbow tendonitis is acting up.

Great questions and thank you

@Kyle Kowalczuk

Kia ora mate :)

What was your training like for the TSC?!
I'm actually writing a blog about it that Ill share with you when I'm finished. It was minimalist approach using the kb swing, barbell deadlifts, hanging variations, gtg pull ups, and A+A snatches.

I did do clean and press/jerks with barbells and kbs along with weighted carries sprinkled in.

Hello,

@Kyle Kowalczuk
This is impressive ! Congrats !

How did you train the one arm pull up ? Doing so, do you pay close attention to your bodyweight (basically, trying to stay as light as possible, while being as strong as possible) ?

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kyle Kowalczuk
This is impressive ! Congrats !

How did you train the one arm pull up ? Doing so, do you pay close attention to your bodyweight (basically, trying to stay as light as possible, while being as strong as possible) ?

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I spent a few years rock climbing. Primarily bouldering which emphasizes strength and power over endurance. I pretty much worked on lock offs at different angles and eventually tried a one arm pull up I could just do it. Then through practice I just nudged the number up. I credit hanging a lot for pull ups. And because of climbing I can hang on one arm for a while.

I’m one of those that can eat whatever he wants and not gain a pound. I come from a long line of ectomorphs. Lol. I’m the heaviest of my life now after finding the barbell/kettlebell a few years ago. I’m not too concerned with my weight. If anything I want to gain lol

I pretty much worked on lock offs at different angles and eventually tried a one arm pull up I could just do it.
For those who aren't climbers, can you explain what you mean by "worked on lock offs at different angles?"

I credit hanging a lot for pull ups.
+1 - I've seen this happen. I probably mentioned it somewhere on the forum before, but one of my sons, in his 20's and was still living with us at the time, was/is about 200 lbs, and had never really worked on pullups. At my suggestion, he added hangs to his training, basically GTG with 30-second bar hangs for a couple of months, no pullup training at all during this time, and his pullup numbers went up dramatically the next time he tried them.

-S-

For those who aren't climbers, can you explain what you mean by "worked on lock offs at different angles?"

+1 - I've seen this happen. I probably mentioned it somewhere on the forum before, but one of my sons, in his 20's and was still living with us at the time, was/is about 200 lbs, and had never really worked on pullups. At my suggestion, he added hangs to his training, basically GTG with 30-second bar hangs for a couple of months, no pullup training at all during this time, and his pullup numbers went up dramatically the next time he tried them.

-S-
Not answering for Kyle, but we we do ‘Frenchies’... Pull-up to top position and lock off for a count, lower, pull-up to top and lower until upper arms are parallel to floor and lock off for a count, lower, then pull-up to top position and lower until upper arms are at about 45deg and lock off for a count, lower. That is one ’rep’. (But one can pick any angles they want, as well as anything to hang from whilst doing them: pull-up bar, rings, hang board, campus board, system boards, etc.)
Repeat until maximum fun has been achieved....

Sounds in the past... why did you stop? (if you don’t mind my asking...)
Honestly I had kids lol. The day trips got harder and harder to plan. I was traveling a few times a year to hotspots in the northeast USA. I had a goal for a while to boulder a V10 and succeeded shortly before my first son was born. It was kinda a climax for me. I have still gone to climbing gyms and stuff along the way. Just few and far between.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom