all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed 4 Weeks to Flexible Steel Challenge

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pavel Macek

Level 9 Valued Member
Master Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
Jon Engum, StrongFirst Master SFG, Flexible Steel International founder & chief instructor, last week wrote:

“Flexible Steel Challenge. This week I challenge KB5 one of the best gyms in the world to be Flexible Steel.”

Thank you for your kind words, Jon - challenge of course accepted!

FlexibleSteel drills is our basic “untie the chair” program, mandatory for all beginners, and a homework for all lifters, beginning, intermediate, and advanced. Do it.

Info about the Flexible Steel Challenge here

@Pavel Macek Thank you for the link. I have been looking for some loaded mobility. I will do this before my workouts for the next four weeks.

What size bell would you recommend?

Since Mr Engum has the goblet squat as part of the program, should you still do goblet squats as part of the S&S warmup?

Since Mr Engum has the goblet squat as part of the program, should you still do goblet squats as part of the S&S warmup?
The very same question crossed my mind yesterday. I would do this this way: do S&S squat with my swing bell (32kg) as usually and do FS squat after training with lighter bell and emphasize on prying. I don't know is this a valid way. Squats are one of my favorites so for me more squats = more fun!

Hello,

Squats are part of S&S warm up. They will serve you well for hip opening and also to reinforce quads and upper body balance (ab work). They prepare very well your legs for the GUs.

I do not know if there is a "rule". After all, a warm up can be "self-designed". The only expectation is that it prepares you well.

However, it terms of weight, I would use a 20 / 24 kg because it is a weight with the one I can do both proper squats (withouth any fatigue because it is a warm up) and proper halos. I want my warm up to be a good ratio between preparing me for an effort and making me work just the minimum dose to avoid fatigue.

If you are comfortable with heavier squats as a warm up without fatigue for the proper training, then do them heavy. It would be even better as long as you recover well.

Related to FS, as@damogari said, I would go for a slightly lighter bell, to focus on technique. Plus it can be a good post training cool down.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I already lug two bells around with me so I really don't want to bring a third one with me to do light flexible steel in the morning. I will be doing flexible steel in the morning post wake up at five am and S&S post work at five thirty pm.

Thanks for sharing the link Pavel, I've just started the 4 week challenge and am on day two.

For any of you who've been doing this a few weeks now, how are you finding it?

Today was my first day of arm bars, they felt a bit awkward, I'll have to dig up some more instructional videos on Youtube later and check my form.

Joe

@Joe L : yes, arm bars can feel a bit awkward in the beginning.
I find the program is a good warming up prior to my KB work. I am midway week 4, and found the greatest flexibility gains in the lunge stretch, where I am slowly moving into a split position (not there yet though :) ).
Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

When you refer to "untie the chair" are you referring to Mr. Engum's Escape your fighting stance program, or just his methods in general? I do escape your fighting stance 2-3 times a week and the only thing holding my back from hitting it everyday is precious time... It's a great program and very restorative in nature.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom