all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 40kg 2H swing form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chrisdavisjr

Level 7 Valued Member
I've recently acquired a 40kg kettlebell and have, so far, been primarily using it for two-handed swings while I pursue the continually elusive goal of a solid one-handed 32kg swing. I've uploaded a video of my two-handed swing for critique purposes as I feel that my form is pretty solid by now but would love to know if there's anyting I can improve upon, especially if it will help carry over to my one-handed swings.

Thanks for reading and/or watching and I look forward to your comments. FYI, those are not the clothes I normally train in, just in case anyone was wondering; they're what I happened to be wearing when my new kettlebell was delivered.

Nice swings! Definitely solid. You might be able to sit back a little deeper in the hinge. It will feel a bit like going towards a squatty swing, but it will get you more power and "pop." See this thread for more on that... The swing

The one thing I see that you could improve, and need to in order to be solid with the 1H 32kg swings, is the shoulder packing. Anti-shrug the shoulders harder at the top of the swing. They're not shrugged up, but they're not super-solidly anti-shrugged down, either.

Thanks for the advice! I could definitely use a little more 'snap' to my swings.

@Anna C Good call on the anti-shrug; I'm hoping that could be the missing ingredient to solidifying my swing form. I've seen you swing a 32kg one-handed on your YouTube channel and I must say that your form is exemplary, so I definitely value your input.

@Kettlebelephant It's good to have both you and Anna confirm my suspicions that I could be sitting back further at the bottom: Sometimes my swings feel a little 'lazy', if that makes any sense, and I could definitely stand to make them a little more crisp and snappy.

I'm with @Anna C and @Kettlebelephant...

I think at least some of your missing packing is due to your setup, probably you hinge backness/depth as well. On the setup you seem to hinge with your hips down to the bell - good textbook back/deep hinge, but than you round your shoulders to the bell. This maybe a cause for tension leak in the shoulder girdle even before the hike. It is hard to correct on the fly (although you do correct some of it). As you hike you probably seek the missing tension and move you hips forward from their "textbook" back start position. This new position is where you finish your back swing throughout the set (you hinge back all the way when you set the bell down).

The bell does not seem to be to forward so maybe you should not loo at the bell when you hinge for it and find it blindly with our hands to keep you shoulders in place, maybe some extra rooting and pushing your heels down and be patient on the back swing. I had a rooting/patience problem when I first started swinging the 40kg.

I'm pretty sure when I do it my head dips down lower towards the ground making it overall a bigger, more "violent" motion. This may not be ideal - not sure.

The 1h swings are almost a different exercise altogether, like the difference between jumping with two feet and running.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom