all posts post new thread

Old Forum 40kg push me back

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

matteo

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,
I am in S&S routine from Jenuary 2014. I followed the program step by step with greath faith in his author. And I'm happy about my shape and I think that is a very good routine. But...
I reached the simple goal at the beginning of 2015 and every time i tried to introduce 40kg I need to come back to 16/24kg due to elbow pain.
The elbow is my weak point (golfer's elbow) and the tgu is the exercise that cause the pain.

I know that with some patience and the necessary dose of discipline and perseverance i will control also the 40 kg but now I'm little frustrated and i'm in search of some inspiration from this forum.
Do you suggest a period of new routine (I'm thinking about "Naked Warrior")? Or somebody else?

Thank you and sorry for my terrible English!

Matteo

Matteo, what does your doc say? Please post an exact list of recommendations and restrictions.

I've been seeing a lot of threads with TGU and elbow pain lately. I got the same thing in my right elbow when I progressed to the 40kg also. I've gone back down to the 24kg and have decided to work my way back up very carefully. It feels like my elbow is improving.

Could some of these be referred pain from overworked triceps? You can easily see how tender your triceps is feeling down by the elbow with your thumb. If it is very sensitive, you might be able to work it out with some uncomfortable massage. You'd still want to get it checked out though if you have the means. But if the pain completely goes away and there are no other symptoms, it may be all.

Thanks Pavel,
I didn't see a doctor yet.
I managed this kind of injury myself with success in the past with rest, eccentric exercise, myofascial release end isometric work.
If the pain persist i'll go to the doctor.

So while you say that golfer's elbow is the issue, that is a very specific diagnosis tied to a problem with the flexor bundle. If you have not seen a doctor or are not a medical professional yourself with diagnostic ability, then please be careful with getting sucked into what Dr. Google tells you. Chances are that you are doing something different to try and support the additional weight or the center of mass of the larger bell is different than the smaller ones. A small change in the location of the bell on your forearm can have a huge effect on how you have to support it at your shoulder, which in turn can cause any number of things which would give you elbow pain on the medial side (not necessarily golfer's elbow). See the doc, decrease the weight, add speed bumps to the TGU first with the 16, then 24, and then the 32. Stay away from pain in all situations. Even if myofascial release works, you have to ask why you need it in the first place.
Good luck!

Ok,
I'm only a bit allergic to hospitals, doctors and clinics.
I think that an injury could become an opportunity for a better consciousness of my body and for corretting the principles of my training.

But these are only my thoughts and you are right. I should before see a doctor.
Thank you all.

ive noticed that folks who complain of elbow issues due to TGUs often have their working wrist in an extended position back as opposed to straight with no break. this places undue stress on the tendons of the elbow which could lead to a painful condition. have your technique checked by an SFG or a knowledgeable PT/Doc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom