all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 41 yrs old, need life change

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Spencer907

Level 1 Valued Member
I'll try to make this brief. Im 41, 6'1" and 260 lbs. Been doing powerlifting/Strongman/weights for 20+ years now. Im fairly strong, Ive won a local strongman comp in my division for 2 years in a row now, Im ALL natural as in I dont even use supplements, my "Supplements" is basically a tall glass of milk, some chicken, or a fat Ribeye right after a hard gym session. Heres the deal, being "big" and "bulky" is cool and all but Im honestly over it because Im chronically stiff, chronically sore, I can jog about a mile and Im breathing like a water buffalo, Im just overall feeling uncomfortable in my own body. I need to get off the weights because when I go to the gym I cannot help but to lift heavy and when I lift heavy I always eat to recover. I DID do calisthenics only for about 2 months once and I noticed a dramatic change in how I felt, I got down to 240 lbs and felt so much better, my appetite was way less. I need to get back to calisthenics, I need to do more cardio, I need to eat less, I need to be more flexible, I need to get rid of this chronic soreness in my back. I have no idea what sorta program to do, Im just basically going to be walking everyday coupled with push ups, dips, HSPU's, pull ups, bodyweight squats/lunges/hiking, Australian pullups every chance I get and start eating less. Id like to be 225 lbs eventually. So......wish me luck, Ill turn to this forum for constant encouragement and motivation to stay on track. It seems I always resort back to lifting big and eating big because honestly im good at it and I suck at bodyweight movements because of my size. its hard doing things you suck at but im all done feeling like this. Thank you for listening to me bit*ch.

@Spencer907 Welcome! Bodyweight programming is a tricky one but a lot of folks who want to get/stay strong and keep their weight in check the Fighter Pull-up Program seems to get a lot of love.
https://www.strongfirst.com/the-fighter-pullup-program-revisited/
The Fighter Pull-up Program Revisited | StrongFirst

It's not a complete program in itself but will work wonders as part of a bodyweight oriented strength program (Pavel's 'The Naked Warrior', for example). Pull-ups are nice and easy on the back as well, and I'm a big fan of spending time hanging on a bar to loosen my shoulders and let my spine decompress.

Original Strength/'OS' (Original Strength | ORIGINAL STRENGTH IS A HUMAN MOVEMENT EDUCATION COMPANY. OUR MISSION IS TO CHANGE THE WORLD THROUGH MOVEMENT.) is also a popular choice for people looking to improve their movement quality and heal their body. Could be well worth checking out if you can resist the 'call to iron'.

Best of luck to you!

@Spencer907 , welcome!

Try Simple and Sinister. And keep walking. You do that 4-6 days/week for 3 months, and I think you'll be surprised with your weight, level of conditioning, strength, shoulder resilience, and how your back feels.

Comment on this post if you give it a try and have some results!

I'll try to make this brief. Im 41, 6'1" and 260 lbs. Been doing powerlifting/Strongman/weights for 20+ years now. Im fairly strong, Ive won a local strongman comp in my division for 2 years in a row now, Im ALL natural as in I dont even use supplements, my "Supplements" is basically a tall glass of milk, some chicken, or a fat Ribeye right after a hard gym session. Heres the deal, being "big" and "bulky" is cool and all but Im honestly over it because Im chronically stiff, chronically sore, I can jog about a mile and Im breathing like a water buffalo, Im just overall feeling uncomfortable in my own body. I need to get off the weights because when I go to the gym I cannot help but to lift heavy and when I lift heavy I always eat to recover. I DID do calisthenics only for about 2 months once and I noticed a dramatic change in how I felt, I got down to 240 lbs and felt so much better, my appetite was way less. I need to get back to calisthenics, I need to do more cardio, I need to eat less, I need to be more flexible, I need to get rid of this chronic soreness in my back. I have no idea what sorta program to do, Im just basically going to be walking everyday coupled with push ups, dips, HSPU's, pull ups, bodyweight squats/lunges/hiking, Australian pullups every chance I get and start eating less. Id like to be 225 lbs eventually. So......wish me luck, Ill turn to this forum for constant encouragement and motivation to stay on track. It seems I always resort back to lifting big and eating big because honestly im good at it and I suck at bodyweight movements because of my size. its hard doing things you suck at but im all done feeling like this. Thank you for listening to me bit*ch.

@Spencer907, I would also recommend Original Strength. Through using their “resets” I was able to move much better and by dialing in my eating (food log) and a lot of activity, I have lost 45 pounds.

Now I am able to do my Atrong First activities again without the burden of the extra weight.

Thank you everyone, I will research everyone's suggestions and implement the movements as I start to structure what works best for me. I appreciate the responses and will keep posted my results

Hey Spencer, you sound just like me in that I was stuck with dumbbells at home and trudging through the workouts all the while asking myself 'is this as good as it gets?' all the while having sore and stiff joints and lower back...

You'll find your groove here as there are truckloads of choices for you. I think you'll find KB training (if you decide to do some) is completely different. It's like martial arts with weights, i know because I practice both, Tai Chi might be a body and mind awakener for you as well. You don't have to give up on'strong', in fact I would just re-direct strength to something else. As you know this is StrongFirst, it's not just a clever name, it's the first ingredient needed to improve in many areas and you've obviously gained tremendous strength. I would recommend starting small and simple as you reboot your training life. Things will become much more clear to you as you walk your new path. My money says if you approach it right a team of Morgan horses couldn't drag you back.

@Spencer907
Welcome... and everyone has given you good stuff to look at:
  • Walking
  • S&S
  • FPP
  • Naked Warrior
  • OS
  • Super Joints
  • Walking
If you are an 'event-based' person, you might want to explore OCR.
It will give you a great reason to train endurance, strength, and mobility all at the same time.

Again welcome...

DMPM

It's a KB/BW program designed and implemented by and for a person much like yourself. It's a low intensity, high frequency program meant to be done every day. It combines well with many other activities but by itself is pretty complete. There is some discussion of it over in the KB forum, and if you go over to Dan John's forum, where the DM himself hangs out, there is a sticky devoted to it.

There are a few variations, but they revolve around this:

KB swings 10-15
Push up
Goblet Squat
Row (either row the KB or TRX)
Descend the reps of the strength moves 5-4-3-2-1
Finish with a suitcase carry

Also known as the Human Burpee, it has got a lot going for it. If you don't know what to do, do the DMPM until a better idea comes along. It be all you need.

A lot of people rave about OS, but I couldn't get anything out of it. But I find yoga to be brilliant.

Consider going to the training log section and starting a log. Will help with motivation and encouragement. There is a good sense of community here

...Been doing powerlifting/Strongman/weights for 20+ years now...

You may want to check out a book called Tactical Barbell...DESPITE the name, it actually has instructions on how to program for bodyweight work. It might appeal to you because it follows similar reps/sets/loading schemes as traditional barbell strength work.

Of course, you can't go wrong with any of the above advice given so far. Good luck!

Welcome @Spencer907!

@Spencer907 , welcome!

Try Simple and Sinister. And keep walking. You do that 4-6 days/week for 3 months, and I think you'll be surprised with your weight, level of conditioning, strength, shoulder resilience, and how your back feels.

Comment on this post if you give it a try and have some results!
+1. As is often said around here, an inch wide and mile deep. Keep your entry point basic and sustainable.

I need to get back to calisthenics, I need to do more cardio, I need to eat less, I need to be more flexible, I need to get rid of this chronic soreness in my back. I have no idea what sorta program to do
Lots of "I need to..." here. Be patient with yourself, relearn your body and be present in the process of rebuilding your body. One of the greatest lessons I am learning through training with kettlebells is awareness. DMPM is a solid choice as well, but certainly do an honest self assessment and know what you are capable of doing consistently right now.

Start a training log and keep us updated. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

I'd take a look at some of Steve Maxwell's stuff when you get a chance, his mobility work is very solid and he uses a lot of exercise movements that use resistance in ways that enhance mobility (he introduced the TGU to Pavel) instead of reduce it.

More downtime or some light jogging, reduce the working loads and increase the reps, go to bed a little hungry. Just taking the weight off is going to make you feel a lot better. Calisthenics and odd object lifting - the stuff you pick up and put down should be fairly low %RM. Circuit training. Personally since you already have a solid background in moving iron, you could still use barbell and dumbbell after a few, but change your goals and priorities and stick to the program - limit your loads. Don't forget, you can make yourself sore and stiff using all sorts of modes, including KBs and bodyweight.

A log is a great idea - you can get a lot of very good feedback from folks around here. And is also very helpful to check out what other people are doing.

Last edited:
I'd take a look at some of Steve Maxwell's stuff when you get a chance, his mobility work is very solid and he uses a lot of exercise movements that use resistance in ways that enhance mobility (he introduced the TGU to Pavel) instead of reduce it.

More downtime or some light jogging, reduce the working loads and increase the reps, go to bed a little hungry. Just taking the weight off is going to make you feel a lot better. Calisthenics and odd object lifting - the stuff you pick up and put down should be fairly low %RM. Circuit training. Personally since you already have a solid background in moving iron, you could still use barbell and dumbbell after a few, but change your goals and priorities and stick to the program - limit your loads. Don't forget, you can make yourself sore and stiff using all sorts of modes, including KBs and bodyweight.

A log is a great idea - you can get a lot of very good feedback from folks around here. And is also very helpful to check out what other people are doing.

The The Official Steve Maxwell Website ( click the link for the particular video) is particularly good

Heres the deal, being "big" and "bulky" is cool and all but Im honestly over it because Im chronically stiff, chronically sore, I can jog about a mile and Im breathing like a water buffalo, Im just overall feeling uncomfortable in my own body.
I was in the same spot as you at the end of 2015. Recovering powerlifter (national and world bench only) here. Had the problems with flexbility, chronic sorness, etc you mention.

Long story short, I agree with Ryan here. It's what I did from 2015 thru most of 2017, and I'm in a much better spot now than I was in 2015. S&S + walking = awesome.

@Jak Nieuwenhuis mentioned in another thread the Royal Court which includes the Hindu Squat and Hindu push up and got me thinking. You could learn a couple of the variations of the sun salutations from yoga and do a few rounds before and after workouts. I try to do this in addition to my regular yoga practice, and it's a nice way to loosen up and begin training, as well as way to keep things flowing when you're done.

Similar boat for me a couple years ago. I'll just also throw out the standard advice that weight loss happens at the table, not at the gym. Calisthenics & LSD will make you feel good, and I believe they make you better at everything - but you can't out-work the calorie count.

I lost a good chunk of weight just by logging what I ate every day, actually paying attention to it. Then I stopped logging what I ate, and guess what? I stopped losing weight. :rolleyes:

well just since the start of this thread im down 5 lbs. I basically just started doing push ups, dips, chin ups, pike push ups, and I get out from my desk every hour or two and go walk up this giant hill outside my office area. Im also getting back into Intermittent fasting. I did go to the gym last friday and did a bunch of 1 arm kettle bell clean n presses with the 97lb bell and it felt great and was pretty sore the next day, but not in a bad way. I can still bottoms up 1 arm press the 97lb bell also to my surprise so that was cool, Id thought id lost it lol. Hunting season is approaching and I do lots of walking through the mountains so im sure that will speed up weight loss as long as I keep my calories in check.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom