all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 44kg - am I an idiot?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Skip

Level 2 Valued Member
So, having had a whole session of selling and trading in kettlebells I'm now the proud owner of a very simple 20kg, 24kg and 32kg set of Wolverson Black Series kettlebells. I like the simplicity and the lack of options. I'm approaching simple, 32kg on the swings and working the 32kg in to my get-ups.
I've also started doing quite a few carries which I absolutely love, and I also love heavy two-handed swings.

Next year I'll be 44... and my selling session left me with an entirely coincidental 44kg Wolverson Black Series amount of money left over. So I bought one (for context the heavy Wolversons go out of stock quite quickly and take ages to restock - I've eyed them longingly before, but the stars aligned this time).

Am an I idiot for even contemplating ever using this weight? My wife has an 8kg, pair of 10kgs and we have a little diddy 4kg too, so I know I can add weight to the 32kg to transition some movements, but... am I an idiot?

I'm thinking carries, heavy two-handed swings, deadlifts, and to have it there to goad me to do more. But I'm still feeling like I might be making some huge error.

Hit me with your opinions - I need support (or a dressing down)

This - making a big jump - was stopping me, until I thought that there's a whole world of basic carrying and lifting I could do with it, and it gives me solid reason to have to buy a 40kg in the future.
I just told my wife I asked this question and she said "what's the point of asking them? Of course they're going to say yes, they're like crack-addicts for iron"!

So, having had a whole session of selling and trading in kettlebells I'm now the proud owner of a very simple 20kg, 24kg and 32kg set of Wolverson Black Series kettlebells. I like the simplicity and the lack of options. I'm approaching simple, 32kg on the swings and working the 32kg in to my get-ups.
I've also started doing quite a few carries which I absolutely love, and I also love heavy two-handed swings.

Next year I'll be 44... and my selling session left me with an entirely coincidental 44kg Wolverson Black Series amount of money left over. So I bought one (for context the heavy Wolversons go out of stock quite quickly and take ages to restock - I've eyed them longingly before, but the stars aligned this time).

Am an I idiot for even contemplating ever using this weight? My wife has an 8kg, pair of 10kgs and we have a little diddy 4kg too, so I know I can add weight to the 32kg to transition some movements, but... am I an idiot?

I'm thinking carries, heavy two-handed swings, deadlifts, and to have it there to goad me to do more. But I'm still feeling like I might be making some huge error.

No. You aren’t an idiot.

No you not! If you thinking about using the 44, which demands a lot of strength, you should follow the strength path.

It's strange. When I started this and first picked up a 16kg kettlebell I thought, "yep, that's heavy, that's all I need. I could use this for the rest of my life." Then after a while it felt too light, and I picked up a 24kg and thought, "yep, that's heavy, that's all I need. I could use this for the rest of my life." Then after a while...
Point is I never thought of myself being like this... I thought if I did get into fitness it'd all be flows and ferns and flexibility. Instead I'm starting to look at everything and wonder if I could lift it, I've just bought a 44kg kettlebell, and I'm trying to find a local gym for some dabbling in barbell. And flexibility.
You've ruined my ideas of myself, SF, ruined them.

I've done a lot of 1HDLs with my 40kg and 48kg. When you have a couple of big bells they combine well to do suitcase deadlifts too. And you'd be surprised how fast one can start to do 2HS with a 44kg bell. You'd probably be able to do them right away since you're nearing simple. Deadstop swings or sets of 1-5.

Don't know you well enough (or at all) to give an opinion on whether you're an idiot or not :). Personally, in your situation I'd probably go for the 40kg and start saving up for the 48kg. Smaller jumps and a lot to look forward to. Wish you well and much wisdom.

Long before I was ready for the 32kg, one of my favourite things was to lie on the floor and try to floor press it. It never moved an inch, but it felt like it helped, somehow, somewhere!

No, you are not Sir!
“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a man in possession of a few kettlebells, must be in want of another one”
Now in all seriousness after the classic three bells a heavier bell is very useful, 2HSW come to mind if you are getting to simple, but also “floor holds” lie down as if you were going to do a TGU and just hold the heavier bell there, straight arm, working on arm position, lat activation….

I use my 44kg all the time (getups, 1-arm swings, 2-arm swings, carries) - I’m pretty light (175lb), 45 years old, and not “naturally” strong — and it’s just not that heavy after over a decade of hardstyle training. I also own 48kg and 56kg, which I use a lot less (but still use every so often).

In my view, having heavier kettlebells in sight inspires you to get stronger!

Yeah, it's a big jump.

I'm glad I have 36 kg and 40 kg bells.

But to be honest, when it's KB season, I use 2 x 32 kg a lot more often than I use a single heavy bell.

When comparing comparable weights, if you forced me to pick (for men), I'd pick 2 x 24 kg over a single 44 kg bell.

That was the direction I was heading in, it's just... I love single bell work, I love the simplicity and the carry-over to everyday stuff. I never thought I'd want to have a single heavy bell at all, but most days I try something with my 32 and think, "I wish you were heavier". I figured if I did want to double I could just use offset weights with the set I have.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom