all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 44kg - am I an idiot?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That was the direction I was heading in, it's just... I love single bell work, I love the simplicity and the carry-over to everyday stuff. I never thought I'd want to have a single heavy bell at all, but most days I try something with my 32 and think, "I wish you were heavier". I figured if I did want to double I could just use offset weights with the set I have.

It all depends on your goals.

I use double KB work as a substitute for barbell work in the winter off season.

And barbells are loaded symmetrically.

When I want to focus on unilateral training, I'll use a single bell.

But I also don't do swings anymore except as a warm up, as they don't really drive any adaptations I need.

I love single bell work
i have a similar proclivity

most of the reasons i like single bell work is to do with simplicity.

setup time is approximately zero seconds.

and the basics cover so much ground i'm happy with doing an all snatch routine, or an all Long Cycle Routine, swings and press, etc. takes very little to cover most of the body. although admittedly - double kb / or barbell / - would shrink the amount of time i need to spend becuase i can up the loading overall. there's definitely trade offs. but since i'm spending my time, mostly on pressing. single bell is perect for now.

The basic power lifts aren't very technical, but a lot of people do them with poor technique and start going heavy too soon, before they actually have full ROM and control.

I see a lot of guys who squat 6 plates in a demi squat, who can't squat 4 plates ATG.

Most sedentary people also don't actually enough mobility, at first, to have good technique even with an empty bar.

That's one of the reasons I like doubles.

And I just don't get as much systemic impact from a single bell.
my first 4kg bell increment purchase - if i ever get around to it - will probably have to do with progressing the snatch.

and trying out that increment in a double bell clean will probably tell me if i want doubles or intermediate sizes for my purposes.

but right now the most i do with 2 bells is cleaning 24+32 for front squats. and the asymmetry is sometimes mildly displeasing. I just alternate the handedness by approaching them from the opposite side.

So, having had a whole session of selling and trading in kettlebells I'm now the proud owner of a very simple 20kg, 24kg and 32kg set of Wolverson Black Series kettlebells. I like the simplicity and the lack of options. I'm approaching simple, 32kg on the swings and working the 32kg in to my get-ups.
I've also started doing quite a few carries which I absolutely love, and I also love heavy two-handed swings.

Next year I'll be 44... and my selling session left me with an entirely coincidental 44kg Wolverson Black Series amount of money left over. So I bought one (for context the heavy Wolversons go out of stock quite quickly and take ages to restock - I've eyed them longingly before, but the stars aligned this time).

Am an I idiot for even contemplating ever using this weight? My wife has an 8kg, pair of 10kgs and we have a little diddy 4kg too, so I know I can add weight to the 32kg to transition some movements, but... am I an idiot?

I'm thinking carries, heavy two-handed swings, deadlifts, and to have it there to goad me to do more. But I'm still feeling like I might be making some huge error.

Hit me with your opinions - I need support (or a dressing down)
Your mind is playing tricks on you brother. You're the King of you, stand by the decision. 44kg is great for suitcase carries, deadlift, swings, goblet squats etc...before you can press the bell. . Even if you never press the man made iron implement suitcase carries will definitely be an eye opener. Plus the thing must be beautiful to look at...like a poster of a beautiful ( insert your preference) person.
P.S I'm envious.

Yeah, it's a big jump.

I'm glad I have 36 kg and 40 kg bells.

But to be honest, when it's KB season, I use 2 x 32 kg a lot more often than I use a single heavy bell.

When comparing comparable weights, if you forced me to pick (for men), I'd pick 2 x 24 kg over a single 44-48 kg bell.
Smaller doubles definitely better for hypertrophy. For reference: i can press 32kg 5 times with my weaker arm but sometimes for double 20kg.

Quick update, thanks everyone for the advice - I got the 44kg and it arrived today. We have a low bridge as the only access to our road, and they sent a tall truck... so, with no car, I had to go and get it from the truck myself.

Today I found out I can do a 500m walk with a 44kg kettlebell (swapping sides every 44 steps). I think I might feel that tomorrow!

Anyway, I'm very pleased with it, and can handle it better than I thought I would. Even managed a few rack carries on the way back. But yes, everyone was right I will need a 36kg or 40kg to assist the jump.

Excellent, @Skip !! Isn't it good to know that you can pick that thing up and figuratively thumb your nose at gravity ? ? ? ? Plus, now you can do just that whenever the heck you please!! Every rack carry, every swing, every suitcase carry adds up to eventually getting that big ol' boy over your head!!

It was hard (mainly because I was worried about tripping), but it's definitely something I will be doing more of
When I first read that, I thought it was impossible. Did it yesterday as part of my warm-up and it was very hard, but not impossible. Went about 80m or so and had to put it down and switch sides twice. That and a few single-bell KB Front-Squats (perhaps with less weight; I'm not sure how many at 44kg I can pull-off and call a "warm-up"..... somewhere between 0 and 1, I suspect) will be my warm-up routine for a while.

When I first read that, I thought it was impossible. Did it yesterday as part of my warm-up and it was very hard, but not impossible. Went about 80m or so and had to put it down and switch sides twice. That and a few single-bell KB Front-Squats (perhaps with less weight; I'm not sure how many at 44kg I can pull-off and call a "warm-up"..... somewhere between 0 and 1, I suspect) will be my warm-up routine for a while.

I only tried it as I felt my grip failing from the suitcase carry and *had* to get it back home - but it was surprising to me how good it felt (in a really hard, is-this-a-good-idea way).
Today I ache, especially around my hips, traps and obliques. Racked carries are staying as part of my routine now, but possibly not always with a 44kg. I think I'd hate to even try a 44kg front squat, but I might have to now!
I've noticed carries in general have risen in my routine. Hated them at first now I look forward to them

The weather is the only thing that stops me from programming a month of Carries as a main movement. I think summer i could get away with it though. I can carry my 36 and 32, but 44 on one side I think I’d struggle, and ain’t no way I could do 44kg rack, thats strong!

Carries are awesome, probably the only reason I’d re join a gym would be sled drags/pushing and trap bar carries. No rain to worry about

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom