all posts post new thread

44kg MP White Whale (Mass Made Simple)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

James Sullivan

Level 6 Valued Member
Updated 5/5/2022

Objective of this public log:

• Accountability. Create a better record of my training sessions.
  • Document progress using SF programming to serve as a reference for others who may be considering one of these plans.

Basic Personal Information:
  • 44 year old husband and father of 2.
  • 5'-10" 180 lbs
  • Day job at a desk
  • Started training with kettlebells in April of 2016 (38 yo)
  • SFGI in 2017. SFL 2018. SFB and SFGII (Elite) 2019.
Recent Training Schedules / Programming:

1651754744776.png
1651755073606.png

Last edited:
Monday 8/23/2021

Raining so conditioning option = strong endurance template #4. 8 seconds of snatches at about a "9" on the intensity scale (4 reps) then rest until the top of the next minute. Total 30 minutes. Felt energized. Plenty left in the tank.

Tuesday 8/24/2021

Moved down one notch on the rack for the barbell OAOLPU's as planned. Feeling very strong session to session. Really enjoying the feeling of balance that the inverted barbell rack rows provide when done as a circuit with the OAOLPU's.

Slowly working up to a "Reload" campaign with Barbell Deadlifts. Worked my way up to 340 lb (2xBW=SFL Standard). Wasn't super hard, but did have to use a mixed grip. Will give this a few more weeks before I start the "reload" testing protocols. Have to check back but I'm pretty sure my PR from 2018 was 405. I think I'm at about 370/380 to start this run.

Last edited:
Wednesday 8/25/21

Key Run#2 = 3.75 miles on the bike path. 100% nasal breathing (keeps HR in target zone). Very hot and humid. AVE HR 155.

Thursday 8/26/21

Fatigued today prior to training,. Heavier physical demands at work and 90F in the courage corner (garage) at training time. Limited myself to 3 rounds which was perfect for the conditions. I'm using this twice a week circuit to stay active with the my favorite movements while I spend some time focusing on cleaning up my OAOLPU's and DL's.
  • Double KB MP x5... Stayed with the 24's today. Used the opportunity to produce reps with ideal form. Particular focus on slowing things way down, staying connected through core and ensuring a symmetrical pressing path between left and right sides.
  • BW Pistols x3@... Eccentric portion of the pistols was the most challenging movement of the circuit today due to fatigue mentioned above. Focused on maintaining control of the descent on the non-dominant side. Limited myself to 3 reps@.
  • Hanging for time x50 seconds... Moved to hollow position for the last 10 seconds or so. Shifted b/w tactical and standard pull-up grips. More than enough hang time to roast my grip and forearms. Mixed in a few scapular pull-ups.

Friday 8/27/21
Rest day. No need for optional practice this week.

Saturday 8/28/21
Morning walk ~ 40 Minutes
Circuit. 5 Rounds:
  • OAOLPU from 3rd position on rack: x5@ - Definitely ready to move down one notch on Tuesday. Progressing nicely.
  • Inverted rack rows: x8 - Getting explosive with these. Looking forward to potential carry-over to lockout on pull-ups.
Barbell Deadlifts "lighter day". Seems like the schedule may be drifting towards two days of barbell DL per week and away from one SLDL day.
  • Light day. 3 work sets of 5x225. Extra attention given to wedge and keeping chest up and out.
Sunday 8/29/21
Morning Walk ~ 35 Minutes
Circuit. Three rounds. Not the best training session, but completed.
  • Double KB MP 24kg : x5
  • Double KB FS 24kg: x5
  • Hang for Time: 50 seconds

Monday 8/30/21
Rest day. Migraine had me home from work. Slept most of the day. No conditioning but managed a walk toward the harbor ~ 25 minutes.

Tuesday 8/31/21
Another great OAPU session despite feeling 'not my best'. Moved down another notch for this week's training sessions. First reps on non-dominant side felt super confident so went for a 'from-the-floor' assessment. Solid rep on the right side. Didn't try to grind past the sticking point on the left. Could have made the rep with all-out effort, but it would have affected the remainder of the session.

Circuit. 5 rounds:
  • OAOLPU's from the rack x5@
  • Inverted barbell rows from the rack x8-10 (stopped sets immediately when explosiveness started to fade)
Barbell Deadlifts. "Heavy Day". Rather than run Reload I've decided to run a once a week DL program that I had great success with in the fall/ winter 2018. This time around I'll be adding a 'light day' on Saturdays working 3 sets of 60-65% 5RM.
1630495744732.png
Ended up starting with 3 sets of 250 for plate sharing reasons. Very confident with the 250, so took the opportunity to focus on repeatable set-ups and perfect wedging for each rep. All double overhand.

Wednesday 9/1/21
Terrible day personally, but managed to complete 30 rounds of SE template #4 with my son. Snatches with the 28 kg, 8-10 seconds of work was 3-4 reps. Unfortunately, I consumed only about 500 calories today.

Thursday 9/2/21
Circuit. 30 Minutes, made 5 rounds. Felt fantastic. Probably will move to 28's this week. Need to adjust the dead hangs back to the original program's organization. Been playing with these doing more than the program required to get a feel for this type of training. Ready to back-off and follow the documented progression. Typically would have been a single-leg squat variation today, but camping this weekend so shifting pistols to Sunday will save me from having to bring more than 1 KB with me for the trip. BW was down to 165lbs this morning. Still a ways off, body composition wise, from starting the next bulk phase. Need to check back on my notes to review target BF/BW goal to initiate next building phase.
  • Double KB FS 24kg: x5
  • Hang for Time ( Rounds 1,2,3): 50 seconds
  • Tactical pull-ups (Rounds 4,5): Feeling things out with pull-ups for the last two rounds. No pain. Looking good to start training these again in the next programming block.

Friday 9/3/21
Rest day. Did not need to train optional day today. Plenty of carrying and loading gear for the camping trip.

Saturday 9/4/21
Brought the 28kg on the trip, but didn't need it. Just over 12 miles of hiking today through the dunes in the Truro highlands. We were well prepared. Strength's higher purpose was showing today.
Race Point Overlook 9-4.jpgChelsie dunes 9-4.jpg
Sunday 9/5/21
More trekking through beach forest and highland, dune zones. kettlebells used to keep the cooler top secure.

Monday 9/6/21
Back in town. Mild soreness in right calf.
2 mile hike in the morning.
3 mile run late in the day. HR higher than typical. Spent some time in the peak HR zone. Accumulated fatigue from the last few days?
9-6 Run.jpg

Tuesday 9/7/21
BW: 167 RHR: 47
OAOLPU Moved down another notch for the week. Another dialed in STRONG session. Playing around with a more narrow stance. Rows felt effortless and explosive through 8-10 reps.
Circuit. 5 Rounds:
  • OAOLPU's from the rack x5@
  • Inverted barbell rows from the rack x8-10
Barbell Deadlifts. 3 sets of 5 at 260 lbs. Had to fight to keep my wedge mechanics on track for the last 2 or three reps of that 3rd set. Overall felt fantastic after these.

Last edited:
Wednesday 9/8/21
BW:166 RHR:47
Intervals at the park as my conditioning option today. Around 2.3 miles and 30 minutes total. Controlled pace and HR with nasal only breathing. RHR is still higher than typical. Feeling very hungry today...

9-8 intervals.jpg

Thursday 9/9/2021
BW:165 RHR:47 HRV:- BR:- SpO2:-

Today was a great training day.

Press test / gut check: Wanted to set a current base-line for my press after having cut 25 pounds of BW since my last test. Got solid reps on both sides with the 36kg which is my SFGII 1/2BW press for current weight. 40kg didn't go up today, but I'm satisfied with the 36kg 1@ based on current training and being on a significant weight cut over the last 24 weeks.

Circuit, 30 Minute AMRAP, Ladders of 2,3,5, completed 2 ladders = 20 reps
  • KB MP 26 kg
  • BW Pistols
  • BW Tactical pull-ups
Press and pull-ups were fantastic. I have not trained single KB MP in about 16 months. Selected 26kg as roughly 70% 1RM (and my Perform better 26 has an impressively thick handle). All of the overuse injuries (elbow tendons from pull-ups + hand/wrist issues from C&P) appear to be completely cleared up after changing programming in May. Cleans were sharp and crisp. Really feeling the cross-over from the inverted barbell rows at the top / lock off on the pull-ups.

Pistols having intermittent issues with stability on non-dominant side in last 4-6 inches on the eccentric. Maybe will revisit some "bottom position single-leg isometrics" on Sunday. Focused on; 1) loading the foot in a balanced way - shifting more weight to the balls of my feet on the eccentric; and 2) actively breathing rather than just getting tight and holding my breath on the eccentric.

Friday 9/10/2021
BW:164.4 RHR:48 HRV:- BR:- SpO2:-

Lot of residual fatigue today. No need for optional crawl and cary day. Need to adjust up calorie intake. Been more active at work over the last few weeks and the weight cut is moving a little too fast. Plan will be to bump up total calories and shift some fraction from fat back to carbs. Been having a hard time hitting the fat intake targets. Planning to put together an entry on my bulk and cut I've been working though since July, 2020.

Saturday 9/11/2021
BW:164.7 RHR:48 HRV:- BR:- SpO2:-

Morning hike at Goddard Park ~45 minutes. Need to push today's practice into tomorrow's time slot. Not sure yet if I'm going to completely de-prioritize the Sunday movements of work through a hybrid day.

Sunday 9/12/2021
BW:165 RHR:49 HRV:- BR:- SpO2:-

Spaced out and Moved down another notch on the rack within the same week for OAOLPU :rolleyes:. About 28-3/4 from the deck. Overall felt good through all 5 sets. Nothing special to report about easy day deadlifts, just punching the clock and checking the boxes. Not super excited about having to get myself shifted back one day on the schedule. Maybe I'll just keep things in the shifted configuration.

Circuit x5 Rounds:
  • OAOLPU's from the rack (~28.75") x5@
  • Inverted barbell rows from the rack x10
Barbell Deadlifts:
  • Light day (60% 5RM) 3 sets of 5 at 205 lbs.
  • Wedge, wedge, wedge.
  • Wedge, wedge.

Last edited:
Monday 9/13/2021
BW:164.1lbs RHR:48bpm HRV:96mS BR:16bpm SpO2:97%

Walk at lunch ~15 minutes

Circuit x5 Rounds:
  • Goblet Squat 48kg: x5
  • Tactical Pull-up BW: x5
Maybe I'm sandbagging a bit with the loads here, but all the biometrics are pointing to an accumulation of systemic stress so playing it safe. The priority is OAOLPU and I need to be in the best condition possible for Wednesday's session.

Walk before dinner ~25 minutes

Tuesday 9/14/2021
BW:164.5lbs RHR:49bpm HRV:86mS BR:16bpm SpO2:96%
Schedule is effectively shifted forward one day this week so that means today is an aerobic base building day. Intervals at park as my conditioning option today. Around 25 minutes total. A little shorter than I would like, but biometrics are awful this week. Something is off. Unrestricted calorie intake after lunch today.
D0F19678-90C5-4AF5-AE8B-14052517316B.jpeg

Last edited:
Wednesday 9/15/2021
BW:165.5lbs RHR:49bpm HRV:86mS BR:17bpm SpO2:95%

Stayed at 28.75" from the deck because I accidentally moved ahead last session. Maybe slightly less zip than in previous sessions, but all good through 5 sets.

Deadlifts were fantastic today. Was anticipating fatigue, but full power and no issues. Felt great after too.

Circuit x5 Rounds:
  • OAOLPU's from the rack (~28.75") x5@
  • Inverted barbell rows from the rack x5-10
Barbell Deadlifts:
  • Typical warm-up sequence: 5x 135, 5x 225
  • 3 sets of 5 at 280 lbs.
  • Easy work

Thursday 9/16/2021
BW:165.4lbs RHR:50bpm HRV:81mS BR:16bpm SpO2:95%

Replaced a rest day with a modest training day to get back on schedule.

Neck was feeling a little pinched so I started with some of Geoff Neupert's P3 - Supine abdominal breathing in the lock squat, neck nods, head rotation, Deadbugs (man these are effortless after the weight cut).

Soft tissue work with "the stick" and a foam roller on hamstrings and calves. Calves were very sensitive.

Unstructured Circuit:
  • 1KB MP: BU 20kg, 2 sets of 2 x 32kg, 3 sets of 5 with 26kg
  • Pistols: Bottom holds / isometrics, BW pistols, deck pistols
    • Worked on balance in the bottom position via diaphragmatic breathing, neck nods and head rotations during isometric holds.
  • Vertical Pull: Alternated deadhangs hangs, scapular pull-ups, chin-ups, tactical pull-ups and hollow holds
    • Trying to mitigate neck pinch with neck nods and head rotations during dead hangs.

Last edited:
Friday 9/17/2021
BW:165.6lbs RHR:50bpm HRV:85mS BR:15bpm SpO2:94%

Rest day today. Focused on eating and staying relaxed during the various poop-storms that constitute my day. Managed to make some positive, but difficult personal choices today.

Last edited:
Saturday 9/18/2021
BW:165lbs RHR:50bpm HRV:--mS BR:--bpm SpO2:--%

Still not feeling 100% like myself. Took the morning to spend some time outside. ~6 mile hike through the Big River Management Area around Carr Pond. Just what I needed then straight to teaching a very productive training session at the park. Weather was beautiful. A lot of cleans and snatching. Maybe getting sick. Swollen glands and headache. Will save my strength for recovery.

9-18 Hike.jpg

Sunday 9/19/2021
BW:164.4lbs RHR:50bpm HRV:--mS BR:--bpm SpO2:--%

Sickness continues. Focused on maintenance and preparing for the week ahead. Will resume training on Tuesday. I'm going to take another look at my training schedule and maybe see what I can remove. My feeling is that this sickness is the result of just not being able to recover completely over the last two weeks...

Monday 9/20/2021
BW:164.3lbs RHR:50bpm HRV:91mS BR:15bpm SpO2:95%

Better than yesterday, but still feeling lousy at work today. Will be laying low today in preparation for resumption of training tomorrow.

10/17/2021 - Friday 4/22/2022
  • BW increase from 161 to ~ 180lbs
  • Been working the timeless snatch protocol for 28 weeks to date. Today will be my 81st session. Aside from a planned rest week (week 25) I missed 3 snatching sessions (Sick twice and skipped Xmas day). Currently working with sets of 9 snatches with 26 kg. Times have leveled off in the 10 minute range. 12 weeks on sets of 5, 6 weeks on sets of 6, 4 weeks on sets of 7, 4 weeks with sets of 8.
  • I ran RoP-J twice. Slow and steady starting with 26kg then 28kg.
  • I started RoP-H where my 'heavy bell' was slightly too heavy. In the 5th week I converted to followed RoP 1.0 with the 32kg.
  • In week 25 I had a work-related interruption in training for a few days and converted that to a slightly premature test confirming 40kg 1RM on both sides (rather than a PR type 100% effort). Pull-up slightly set back to a current 1RM at +32 kg. Had a decent attempt at the 44kg on my dominant side.
  • All RoP variations accompanied by weighted pull-ups to match pressing ladders. I did sets of 5 DFSQ after each completed press/pull ladder. Early in the programs I did PTP type deadlifts and easy OAPU practice on variety days. When pressing volume started to climb variety days were scaled back.
  • Currently running Plan Strong 501G along with PS custom Pull-up Program. With the goal of a 44kg press PR and a clean +36 kg pull-up. Today is week 3 session #3.
1650650512421.png

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom