all posts post new thread

Barbell 5/3/1 Conditioning Options

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've set up a tire drag- I load it up with 5kg paving stones and drag it up and down our 60 m driveway. Even tougher on grass. I either drag by attaching the rope to an old weight belt or use two straps for an arm blaster. Doesn't damage the drive and it is relatively quiet.

+1 in the TB Apex Hill..brutal conditioning. In fact that book is full of similar workouts that can be upscaled to barbaric levels. The prowler is the most challenging, I hate it. Starting Strength have an article on how to program it and every option is very tough. You just can't bluff with the prowler..

Can you link to that article?

I have been using Base +1 as part of a Tactical Barbell cluster. It's brutal. There's a lifetime of options in that PDF.
Enjoy

My family and I are vacationing to Iceland in September. I've been reading about and have been inspired by some of the stone lifting culture of that region.

I have a sandbag that weighs about 130 lbs or so. I just switched things up and started a new routine. Right now I use it once per week. I like to do different complexes with it. Nothing planned, I just wing it. Sometimes I'll carry it around the yard (over the shoulder, bear hug, or zercher). Sometimes I just do a lot of cleans, from the ground up. Or sometimes I even press it.

It really works great for conditioning. And I am definitely adapting. It is starting to feel like a toy. I'm going to make a heavier bag, soon.

From the last page of the PDF:

We don’t do kipping pull-ups, kettlebell swings, burpees, thrusters, softball throws, or anything of that nature for anaerobic conditioning, because it’s gay.

I had a hearty chuckle.

I never thought I'd learn something like that about myself reading an article by Rip. I'm gonna have to tell my parents.

Rip didn't write that article, BTW. The authors are listed at the top.

Kettlebelelephant,

Thanks! The djupalonssandur stones look to be within my capability (I would still need to really train for it).

The husafell, 400+ lbs, and having to carry it for distance, looks like it is beyond my capability right now. But I will try!!!

To me the husafell looks like a zercher squat and walk. That would probably be a good way to train for it?

Although my 130 lbs sandbag isn't that heavy, it does feel a lot heavier than a 135 lb barbell.

All front carries suck, in a good way. Moderately loaded it is good conditioning because you have a weight crushing in on your chest while you are trying to get more air. Doing them heavy is a test of strength and fortitude. It hurts. Kettlebell Feont Rack Carries are a suitable option, but not the same as a stone or Sandbag.

@william bad butt Nick Best, one of the best at the Shelid Carry( they don’t call it a Hussafell Stone unless it is the Hussafell Stone), does a lot of heavy Zercher a Squats.
Nick Best on Instagram: “440lb Elephant Shield Carry! Won the event, won the heat, and set the record for distance with this impliment at WSM 2017! A little…”

https://youtu.be/zM9ysZBDl5

Fitting final event in Iceland.

Here are some plans for a cement Hussafell
FFCEF9BB-5985-4141-AF1A-BB76FAAA50CC.jpeg

I think any kind of double KB complexes, even with a fairly light weight would do a good job of conditioning, they can be done in the basement and you already have the gear.

How about loaded carries climbing up stairs? It doesnt have an eccentric phase, so in that sense its similar to the prowler. I used to do this when I practiced rugby. The good thing when I did it was that the load was a human being, so he carried himself downwards after reaching the top.

Thanks, Geoff. Husafell looks beyond my capability right now. Maybe it is something to train and mix up with the sandbag lifting. I was going to make a 200 lb sand bag next, to see how easy/difficult it is to lift.

I also found this loadable Husafell stone. What do you think? You are giving me ideas.

Titan Fitness Husafell Stone

I really like that loadable Husafell stone. That's a reasonable price, too. Most "specialty equipment" items carry a premium, probably because the manufacturers know that they won't sell as many loadable Husafell stones as they would an "ab mat," and the people who want a loadable Husafell will pay the extra because a loadable Husafell is just cool. I was expecting it to cost upwards of $300. Elite FTS sells a loadable Husafell stone for $500.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom