all posts post new thread

Barbell 5/3/1 programming

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I almost had a lapse of judgment last night. I was about to get my bench out of storage and set up for the full 5/3/1 program. I looked around, let my head clear and said to myself that my bells, deadlifts, and a sledgehammer is all I need. Seriously, when will I need to push a static heavy weight off my chest while lying down? And like the good chief Pavel said "everyone needs to squat, not everyone needs to squat heavy." When will I ever be in such a position that I'd have a huge weight across my shoulders? Except maybe dragging a dead deer out of the bush.

I dunno about setting up for the full program, but if you are not in the middle of an actual program now and have the space I'd drag it out anyway.

The body adapts to the demands of any program, the boost from doing a handful of unlike sessions mixed in with your usual can really make it worth your while.

I have done Thigpen's Cube Method and liked it a lot.

Whenever I talk to someone about training they seem to bring up Kingsbury and Hugh Jackman in Wolverine. I can tell you how Hugh Jackman for Wolverine, and Bradly Cooper for American Sniper got ready for their roles.

Massive amounts of money and "supplements".

This is a good thread. I've been planning on using the 5/3/1 for powerlifting template for my deadlift practice when prepping for the next tsc.

I've been a big fan of 5/3/1 for several years and one of the best templates that gets overlooked by everyone it seems is the Advanced 5/3/1 Template from Wendler's book Beyond 5/3/1. There are no PR sets but you have a week of 5x5, 5x3, then 5x1. He even mentions if you are feeling really good on the 5x1 week attempt a new max. The Advanced Template has been my "Go-To" when I'm setting up a strength block in my own training and has been where I've set all my PRs when it comes to a new 1 rep max. It takes some auto-regulation but I have even taken my 5th set regardless of the week for a PR set if I'm feeling decent that day. This is where it sort became a mash up of The Juggernaut Method 2.0 and 5/3/1. Currently running a 2 day a week version of Juggernaut Method while focusing on S&S.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom