all posts post new thread

Barbell 5/3/1 vs PTTP

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

Just wondering what the parties thoughts on 5/3/1 is? Comparable to PTTP? Also, I don't have regular access to a barbell. Usually just on the weekends, but could be every other weekend due to work schedule. Which program would lend itself to such an erratic schedule? I bring my bells on the road with me and do S& S while away from home.

I lost strength using the basic 531 template. There just wasn't enough weekly frequency per lift for me. You hit each major lift only once per week, with fairly low volume. To compensate you have to do a lot of accessory work which starts turning it into a hypertrophy show. Beyond 531 has much better templates.
PTTP is far better, lift every day, same couple of lifts. I personally respond better to this kind of 'frequent but stay fresh' approach.

But for example you can use the BBB template and pair the squat & deadlift and press & bench, that way you hit the big lifts 2x/week. I've read about many people who got great results from it, you just need to find the right accessory work for you goals, but 531 is still a intermediate/advanced program designed for lifters with such high numbers that hitting the lifts only once per week provides enough stimulus without frying your CNS.

For me PTTP has always been a beginner or maintainance routine. If you're a beginner the high frequency will teach you good form (hopefully) and make you strong fast and if you're advanced you can maintain your strenght even if you only have 15min per day.

In your case i'd say just stick with kettlebells. I don't think you will find any strength program that will work on just two days. Don't get me wrong, there are 2x/week programs, but they have you lift e.g. monday & thursday not two days in a row and then rest for 5 days like in your case.
If it's any help, here is a link for a 2days routine by Dan John - https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/2-times-a-week-for-twice-the-gains
Maybe you can make it work, but either 531 or PTTP require frequent access to a barbell.

I just started Wendler's 5/3/1 but I've done PTTP with a 5/3/2 rep scheme instead of 2x5 and I really liked it. I also added in pull-ups. People rave about Wendler's system so I'm excited to try it. Only time will tell.

Just wondering what the parties thoughts on 5/3/1 is? Comparable to PTTP? Also, I don't have regular access to a barbell. Usually just on the weekends, but could be every other weekend due to work schedule. Which program would lend itself to such an erratic schedule? I bring my bells on the road with me and do S& S while away from home.

Dan John's article at http://danjohn.net/2011/01/minimalist-training/ describes his 2 day per week approach.

Thanks guys. Guess I just need to figure out how to make one work. While I like the programming of 5/3/1, Pavels 2 day powerlifting might be easier to implement.

I am leaning towards Pavels two day template. Reason being worst case scenario and i only make it home for a one day weekend i at least get a push and press in. If it's a two day weekend I'll do the squat day too. If it's a one day weekend should i do a bear type volume? I really like the idea of the 5/3/2 rep scheme as there's no calculating.

Just a thought. When i manage to make it home and get two workouts in I am thinking of using linear progression for the squat and deadlift, and step progression for the bench as it is two days in a row. Good idea?

I followed 5/3/1 for 2+ years and found it to be as advertised. Some people DO get carried away with accessory work, just like all the people here who want to add "more blue".

If you follow one of the templates written by Jim Wendler and eat, you will be pleased with the results. I will also add that I have corresponded with Jim from time to time, he's always prompt to respond to questions, and provide encouragement. His taste in music not withstanding, he's a solid human being.

If you expect to have only one day with the barbell per week with than occasional extra day I'd do the same exercises in each training. Otherwise you do the second plan only every other week and what's the point of that? You could go once heavy and once light or whatever works for you.

If you follow one of the templates written by Jim Wendler and eat, you will be pleased with the results.

This has been my experience as well - you have to eat. I got great results when I ate - added a lot of lean weight (noob gains) over the course of a year.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom