all posts post new thread

Barbell 5/3/2 question

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I am wondering what the logic and science is behind 5/3/2 vs PTTP? There has to be something behind it if it has made it into the Russian version. I am not discrediting it, just curious. I know there is more weight volume lifted during the 5/3/2 version.

IMO, and as I recall from Pavel's comments, it's just a matter of less plate changing and calculation. Not much (or any) difference in training effect.

I've always done the 2x5 100%/90% version, and I've always felt that hitting a weight for a back off set that was a top set earlier in a cycle gave me a psychological boost (using 4 steps forward, 3 steps back structured wave cycles, although I suppose it applies to any cycle type).

Do you still just add 5lbs or is it 10lbs each workout?

Do you still just add 5lbs or is it 10lbs each workout?

It depends on the type of cycle and how high your max is. For a less experienced lifter with a lower max, a linear cycle with 5lb jumps might be appropriate. For the same lifter doing a step cycle (several sessions at the same weight before adding more), 10lb jumps might be better.

For the 4 steps forward/3 steps back wave cycle, I like larger jumps between sessions in each wave, but a smaller jump from the start of one wave to the start of the next. For example, one wave might be 315/330/345/360, but the next wave might be 320/335/350/365.

The book has an extensive discussion of different ways of structuring your cycles.

I've been reading about a few that are using the reverse pyramid method which is quite similar except when you take 10% off you add a couple reps to the set. Ie 100% 5 reps, 90% 6-7 reps, 80% 7-8 reps. Would this be to just to get a little more volume in as opposed to Pavels just do 5 reps?

@Steve W. brought up a link to this thread.

More volume is more volume - see the Bear routine in PTTP with multiple back-off sets of 5, up to 20 sets.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom