all posts post new thread

Barbell 5 Big Movements Heavy Daily x 5 Days Week

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pullupfighter

Level 2 Valued Member
I'm curious if any of you have pulled the same big 5 compounds daily for a limited time or strength phase to increase your lifts? If so, how long did you do it for and how much did you add to your lifts? Were you able to recover with the weekends off x lifting 5 days a week? Also, we're you able to gain any hypertrophy by forcing your muscles to adapt to the increase in weight or was it all strength gains??

I'm thinking about Squatting, Deadlifting, Benching, Weighted Dipping, and Weighted Pull Up's 5 days a week, 5 Sets x 1 or 2 Reps.

I'm pretty happy with my Squats, Deadlifts, and Bench. However, I'm stuck at (3) 45 lb plates on the dips and (2) 45 lb plates on the pull ups. My goal within the 6-12 months is to be at (4) plates on dips and (3) plates on pull ups x 3 Reps. I've never tried a 5 day a week routine of only these 5 lifts. I have did a every other day of upper body and lower body rotation and it seemed I gained strength very quickly by doing them more often. Any input?

Yes. The 5x5x5 mind over muscle program by Pavel is the program for this. It is posted everywhere. My gains were more strength than muscle but I altered my diet for this.

In the MOM program, load variance is key, however. Doing all lifts heavy (here I qualify heavy as RPE 9 and above)everyday, however, would be too much. You let the heavy weights come to you. And if you’re focus is on dips, I’d probably drop the bench for this cycle and add a heavy exercise for your midsection or another less affected area.

Using MOM, I increased my floor press from 200 x 5 reps to 225 x 5 and my zercher squat from 245 x 5 to 275. My issue with dead’s was doing them too heavy, too often. In fact, I’d think the dead would value the most from lighter loads, especially if you’re squatting heavily often. With pullups, light days could also register as change in grip days, I.e using the same weight you did on pull-ups but using a neutral grip, which is more often stronger. For the dips, as long as they give you no shoulder issues, load variation would probably be enough. Some good stretches and mobility sprinkled in with common sense in regards to loss choice and you’re good to go!

Phillippe, great response and help. You also gave me some great ideas on programming it. The question is, how long did you program this way to increase your floor press from 200 to 225? The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if I'd get more benefit (mass and strength) wise if I kept training the way I've been training.

I started at 137 lbs, I'm 187 lbs right now. I think I have some freaky recovery genetics, but the way I've been training for the last 18 months is I stick to mostly compound movements (ie. Weighted Pull Ups, Dips, Deads, Squats.) I started with a rep scheme like 1, 1, 3, 3, 5, 5. I focus on progressive overload, raising the weight 5 lbs each week is my goal. Some weeks I can only go up 2.5 lbs. When I noticed my beginner gains slowing down, I switched over to a 1, 1, 3, 3, 8, 8, 20, 20. This seems to have spurted a new round of growth for me.

My body is SORE ALL WEEK, but I still train every muscle 3x a week and still seem to be gaining a .5 to 1 lb per week. Being that I already program so many 1rm's in I wonder if I'd see as much benefit as you did from this programming, and less mass?

I've done three lifts heavy five days per week and two lifts heavy seven days per week but never five lifts heavy five days per week. From my experience it will be doable but you need to watch what "heavy" means and be guided, almost every workout, by the need to be able to do it all again tomorrow. In other words you will only have one workout per week (at best) where recovery will not be your number one priority. I think you will find that you will sacrifice programming for recovery on many days, so don't get hung up on planning progression. Listen to your body! This keeps you humble. Good luck and please report back on how you go

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom