all posts post new thread

Barbell 5 x 5 x5 Mind Over Muscle Ideas

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Philippe Geoffrion

Level 7 Valued Member
Hey Y'all

I was hoping to get some input from anyone familiar with the Mind Over Muscle program. I've ran it before with excellent results, but am just interested in what others could suggest as strong assistance moves. when I mean assistance, I mean the 3 of 5 exercises are the powerlifts-Bench press/Deadlift/squat. What high tension moves would be a complementary match in your guys' opinions I was thinking along the lines of a couple of these.

Get Up/Windmills/Hollow Pullups/Renegade Rows

I'd like them to focus on what the main lifts are missing. Chin ups would be great for more back workout and unloading the spine but miss the posture part. Get Up is adding more pressing, but would help with full body tension/transfer and leakage prevention. Remember the basis is high tension exercises, so swings and snatches wouldn't belong. Mostly, more postural/upper back and midsection or grip focus are all that would be needed.

So far it's

Squat
Bench
Deadlift
? (Upper back/Posture assistance)
? (Grip/Core assistance)

Any ideas are appreciated. Remember, the lifts have to fit the 5 x 5 x5 format, so grinds only, no ballistics

Front squat, close-grip bench and deadlift

Tanks for the reply @apa. Perhaps assistance wasn't the right word. The 2 other lifts are supposed to be dissimilar to the main lifts, as they are all practiced nearly daily. These other lifts are meant to cover the remaining bases that the main lifts do not and even offset the heavy loading via spinal decompression, postural reinforcement, or strengthening neglected motor patterns but important. Mostly, they are for health and support.

If you go with the 3 powerlifts, I reckon some heavy barbell curls, an ab exercise and a few sets of dead hangs could work well with that routine.

Curls do fit in nicely. Perhaps kill two birds with one stone by doing slow hanging leg raises? Getting the abs and the spinal decompression at the same time. I am looking to try and incorporate some kettlebell move in here, like a get up or windmill.

I think either the TGU or the HLR is a good idea. I wouldn't worry about the pressing aspect of the TGU.

I think a some kind of row would be helpful as well. Maybe some kind of chest supported row if your lower back doesn't like the typical rows after squats and deadlifts. The pull-up could also work and have the decompression aspect.

Right now, I am thinking the pullup and windmill, but a chest supported row may also be good. Just wondering if 5 reps of a row is worth it, unless it's a renegade row, which is more hollow position based than a "tall chest" posture. However, I think the windmill will be good to address the scapular aspect, as well as the midsection while also evening out the hips/hammies.

I think the five reps of rows is worth it. I think rows are very important and one of the first things I always add to a program.

I don't like the renegade row. I think it's just a plain bad exercise.

When doing such a minimalist program all the exercises are important. One thing to consider is making sure all of the exercises are such that you can easily progress in them through the cycle. The HLR may be hard to make incrementally harder for sets of five; for the bent over barbell row it's dead simple.

Yes Rows are certainly important. I think the renegade row is less a back exercise and more of a stability, anti rotation lift. It has it's uses. For the HLR, progress would be more along the lines of slowing the tempo and adding pauses in disadvantage positions. Load isn't the only means and I am hoping to fill the gaps less with load baring exercises, since the squats/deads/benches are practiced 5 days a week! This is why the pullup makes sense to me. The scapular muscles can always be trained with and movements as well, which may be something I incorporate since they don't interfere with anything. Progress in the Windmill would e more about movement quality/mobility/stability and control, which I think is non aggressive progress that will certainly aid my progress in the Big 3.

Hammer curls or T bar rows could be helpful. I realize that you would need dumbbells and possibly a landmine setup, but both exercises have been great for me in terms of working around a nagging case of golfer's elbow. I'm currently running the Bear with dumbbell bench press and conventional deadlifts. Hammer curls have been a nice filler without the strain I was getting from weighted chin ups and pull ups.

Military Press!!
It works the core, anterior and medial delts, you have to have total body tension to perform it correctly.
And I second the T-bar row, especially because you can hit the rear delt pretty reliably.

Farmer's Carry or some other loaded carry. They will fill in what your other movements are lacking. They can be high tension if you deliberately make them so.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom