all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed 50+ age and S&S training....

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I do not allow or use my age as a barrier to my training- I have realized, however, that many of my peers and myself, no longer recover from training as we used to. My research has revealed that recovery becomes even more important as we age. More so for some than others! My original query has been answered- some can enjoy S&S every day as they grow longer in the tooth...others should- and must be more tactical on their training and especially..the most important phase- recovery.

Question to those who know: can an 'older' person still train S&S on a daily basis? The importance of recovery as we age is why I ask...I haven't properly trained S&S yet, but I wonder about the volume and the potential for overtraining. (note: I am 51 or 52- either number is close enough)
I’m sixty and train S&S five days a week. I feel great!

I've just started reading Tim Anderson and Geoff Neuperts' book 'Pressing Reset- Original Strength'. I've already been incorporating resets into my daily routine since my right intercostal muscle strain is preventing me from my S&S training (and weight training)- one thing is for sure, doing Resets everyday is fun! I know that when I can roll around without pain I'll be ready to grab my much loved KB's again...

I'm 51 and What I would say to anyone starting S&S, is slow(increasing weight or sets) and consistent ( 3 to 7 days a week)
and also add striving every practice to perform each rep with perfect form, Are the three golden rules of S&S, or any type of physical training.

I do S&S 5-6 days a week at 56 years old. I was a couch potato up to only about 3 years ago and im only lifting weights about 1.5 years and kettlebells about 2 months. So im rather new to the game.

Not alone that, Ive had issues to contend with like a triple heart bypass, and an injured knee and wrist from a motorcycle crash. But I chipped away slowly and cautiously and worked my way up to training most days like the book recommends.

At the start, it was painful to do just a bodyweight get up with my wrist, but I plugged away slowly and can now complete 5 get ups each side with 20kg. That might not sound a lot, but it is miraculous from were my wrist is coming from and I seriously thought id have to skip this exercise completly. I do get ups now nearly everyday with swings.

Only advice is to be prudent and proceed slowly. I got a nice reminder of that only this week. Im doing 24kg 2 arm swings no problem, but one arm are coming slower to me. I just completed 16kg one arm swings and instead of introducing the 20kg slowly at two reps at a time per set along with the 16kg,......I went straight into 10x10 one arm with the 20kg. Result? My wrist wasn't ready for that load and I ended up having to take a few days off to recover. Lesson learned. Some great advice on this thread about the subject too.

Sixty-one and alternating five-day and six-day weeks. It's been a study in patience, but one that has confirmed the "enjoy the process" mantra. As a fairly large guy (6'6" 240 lbs) I've found that swings have progressed very nicely and have purchased a 32kg bell since I feel strongly that I own both the 24 and 28. The rub has been a hernia repair and compromised thoracic mobility (at least in my right shoulder) stemming from 30 years of throwing footballs as a defensive backfield coach. Being wary of rushing my get-ups my decision was to proceed with caution. I do an abundance of naked get-ups although not at first, I was so enamored with my results that I went great guns; lots of swings and lots of get-ups. The 24kg get-ups convinced me of my folly. While I still do loaded get-ups I have derived the most benefit from grooving the movement with the naked get-ups followed by loaded ones. On off days there is a good amount of time spent performing arm bars and segmental get-ups, especially the roll-to-elbow and tall sit. While my right shoulder is not totally skippy I am getting close to again having complete ROM and function and that's good enough for me. I look forward to each session and finish feeling better than when I started.

Love this thread! It makes me feel better knowing I have brothers out there still doin it. Just turned 59 and feel most days like 39.

My first year of S&S I stuck to the time standard literally every day training 4 to 5 times per week. In that year I went from 16k getups to 40k at the heaviest. Swings started with 24k to 40k tops. I only went up to 36k for everyday timed sessions and never had to worry about testing or squeezing down time frames.

I felt pretty stupid when I discovered the timed sessions were for periodic testing. The only negative effect I felt was some glute and hip flexor fatigue and soreness in the morning. On the positive side my resting heart rate was high 50's and blood pressure 60-80 over 100-120. My abs, shoulders and posterior chain felt bulletproof and nothing tired me out. I was also doing ROP at the time for shoulder rehab.

Now using 40k to 48k for A+A swings for reps of 7 for as many repeats as I feel good and powerful. I'm also doing A+A snatches. This I do 2-3 times per week and have been working on doubles pressing and squats using a modified Total Tension Complex 3 days per week.

Honestly I really miss the feeling I had with timed S&S. It seems to have really kicked my body into high gear. I feel good now but not the same. I get little tweaks here and there that I didn't have to deal with before. Perhaps I'm overtraining a bit although I do take days off if my body insists.

There's a fine line between too much and just right
and stopping the fun (training) is hard for me. You would think at 59 I'd be better at it but sadly that's not the case..

There's a fine line between too much and just right
and stopping the fun (training) is hard for me. You would think at 59 I'd be better at it but sadly that's not the case..

Excellent!! I am 54 and feel the exact same way and have learned over the years that if it's in your blood it is definitely tough to stop a session. I usually train with @Anna C who has a much more analytical and intelligent approach than I. Today I trained with USAF Combat Control Instructors. They, along with Pararescue, are USAF Special Operations Airmen who form teams with Seals, Green Berets, and others. Super guys who obviously cannot spell "quit!" It is rewarding to train with them on occasion to realize that one can push himself a little farther than he first thought.

Excellent!! I am 54 and feel the exact same way and have learned over the years that if it's in your blood it is definitely tough to stop a session. I usually train with @Anna C who has a much more analytical and intelligent approach than I. Today I trained with USAF Combat Control Instructors. They, along with Pararescue, are USAF Special Operations Airmen who form teams with Seals, Green Berets, and others. Super guys who obviously cannot spell "quit!" It is rewarding to train with them on occasion to realize that one can push himself a little farther than he first thought.

Ha, yes that's awesome. When I was in AF basic training in San Antonio 100 yrs ago the Pararescue guys tried to recruit me. I was too focused on getting YUGE and was looking forward to 2 things, the base gym and my meal card, at the time they were also doing midnight chow. I was literally in hog heaven and didn't stop until I hit 250 lbs at about 8% BF. If I had a redo on it I would have gone for Pararescue as I found I wasn't really happy with getting big after all. The chemical enhancements required to hit the next level were not for me.

Anna C. seems to be an awesome lady..

Thank you, @Bret S. . I was in AF basic training in San Antonio myself, 30 years ago this June. PM me and we'll see if we every crossed paths. It's a small world!

Wow- great inspiration for me! I'm 51 and I am still swinging the 'children's' bell (24kg)- but the crazy thing is that the majority (95-98%) of the people I know could not keep up with me when I go 'hardstyle' with my 'monster 24 kg KB'. That's probably due, in part, to the fact that no one I know has ever trained with one!

San Antonio? Fort Sam Houston...Texas, now that brings back some memories. I did my medic training there. Late '80's.

I see S&S as something to fit around my other stuff rather than the focus. I do it about three days a week but skip the swings too often. I goes between/before Muai Thai (for fitness 2-3 times a week) and I just started a PlanStrong Press program at three days a week.

I think there is something psychologically beneficial about having the weekend off. Kind of like a cheat day in dieting. I would do it five days a week and have a day of doing something different and one of rest. I take a long walk on Sundays. It is restorative and oils the joints. I am 49. Yes Original Strength is worth it. Definately do it. It is part of my warmup before muai thai class. I roll on the mat between getup reps! I do head nods throughout the day at work. So good for thoracic mobility!

There is no reason S&S can't be done past age 50. At 58 I choose not to do S&S due to a life changing injury. I can do S&S but it's more of why when for me there are better ways to train for myself.

I can do swings but after shattering my left heel into a million pieces get-ups only aggravate my left foot and ankle. As long as I keep them light with even less volume than S&S I'm o.k. So I use them for a warm up move. One or two each side.

Rather than do only swings I choose to do snatches. Even with this I must temper the urge to go heavy and listen to my body and concentrate more on volume rather than intensity.

It's been a tough row to hoe to step away from my pride and looking forward to adding more weight. Now I just enjoy the process.

Wow- great inspiration for me! I'm 51 and I am still swinging the 'children's' bell (24kg)- but the crazy thing is that the majority (95-98%) of the people I know could not keep up with me when I go 'hardstyle' with my 'monster 24 kg KB'. That's probably due, in part, to the fact that no one I know has ever trained with one!

I think that it is important for us not in the fitness industry to train with all ages and "meet" others like us with similar interests through forums like this one. Otherwise, we can get overconfident as the general health of our peers is well, generally a disaster. My peer group is university professors, not a group you want to benchmark your health against! I don't feel old in my Muay Thai class regularly working with kids 25 years younger. I can keep up so they don't really end up treating me differently. I like that. My instructor lets me complete the bodyweight exercises more slowly (partially because my form is so much better), but he doesn't lower the bar for me. Fortunately(?), kids are in such bad shape these days that it is not even an issue.

I just finished a 7 week cycle of doing S&S exclusively, so here is my takeaway.
56 yr old, male, decently fit (6'1" 205, 14%bf) with a pretty extensive background with KB's since 1995. I hadn't done much with swings nor TGU's for over 9 months as I was focusing on a new sandbag I'd received and the good old sledge/tire combo.
So, I started with a 24kg KB and set a timer at 1:00 per set (10 sets) with the swings and the same for TGUs.
It was hard, but not impossible. I didn't experience any stresses, pains, pulls, tweaks or otherwise. I just forgot to care for my hands. Big mistake. Live and remember.
I moved up to a 32kg KB on the third week and followed the same protocol.
It was hard...very hard.
I started deducting a second or two from each set on the timer, sometime more.
By week 5 I could do all swings in 5 mins and 10 TGUs in 10 mins.
I then just set the timer for 5 minutes on the swings and went when I felt ready. The final week+ I consistently finished the 100 reps in slightly under 4 minutes.

Results- I definitely got better at swings. Prior to embarking on the journey, 50 reps with a 24kg KB was max before form went to pieces. At the end of the 7 weeks I took a recoup day and then went for max reps with a 24kg. I managed 210 1-arm swings without setting it down before my form went south. Regarding TGU's- really can't tell, but 5 reps per side in 10 mins got pretty darn easy with a 32kg KB.

No mass gains that I could see or measure, no reduction in bf on the Accumeasure calipers.
But...I think my Traps grew, maybe the shoulders as well.

Definitely a go for something different.

I can do swings but after shattering my left heel into a million pieces get-ups only aggravate my left foot and ankle. As long as I keep them light with even less volume than S&S I'm o.k. So I use them for a warm up move. One or two each side.

Rather than do only swings I choose to do snatches. Even with this I must temper the urge to go heavy and listen to my body and concentrate more on volume rather than intensity

I haven't checked this thread for awhile (obviously) but I think I have the perfect solution for you. If you don't know about it yet check out Viking Warrior Conditioning. I've been doing it and from what you describe as limits on swings and heavy weight this may be what you need to fill the gap.
In the program you snatch with lighter weight for reps (100's) and it's timed precisely. The program is no joke and takes alot of commitment, but if you want awesome cardio and strength endurance check it out. I started a thread called 'VWC questions' in the kb section of the forum. I'll be happy to help you if you want it

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom