all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 50 Push-ups and 20 Pull-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikhael

Level 9 Valued Member
Hello, StrongFirst community!
I have a question to you regarding those two programs linked below.

I really like Daniel's approach to bodyweight training, and his advices are pretty solid. What do you think about those plans?

I don't think I've ever seen Daniel give bad advice. If endurance is your goal then those programs will be perfect.

He did state in the pushup vid that it's an endurance based approach. I don't train that way myself, I'd prefer to focus on either power or all out strength. When you are training for power you reach a point of diminishing gains when the rep count starts getting up over 20 (for pushups). So I'd rather do sets of 20 or less and speed them up to the point where my hands are leaving the floor at the top of the pushup and maintain the explosiveness for the full duration of the set. About 16-18 reps seems to be a sweet spot for me as far as power pushups go depending on how I feel on the day.

I can't fault his work though, that guy knows his stuff.

Hello,

Daniel often gives excellent advice and programs. In this case, you can not go wrong with these 2 videos.

If endurance is your goal, then it can be the way to go. Slow eccentric and "fast" concentric may be interesting to get some additional strength in addition to the natural endurance these programs will provide.

Still, I would just add some kind of leg practice to this program to get something more "well rounded".

Kind regards,

Pet'

@mikhael, there are other ways. Fewer reps with added weight twice a week, and a single near-max set once a week.

I have detailed the above approach in other posts on this forum, and I managed 19 reps while holding a 20 lb. hex dumbbell between my feet. Most of my training on the other two days was with a 12, 16, or 20 kg bell on a belt, and once per week, I did a warmup set, a near max set, and a backoff set, and I cycled the near-max numbers so, e.g., 12, 13, 14, 9, 13, 14, 15, 10, and so on. When the near-max set reached 17 reps, I went for max reps the following week and got 19.

-S-

Daniel Vadnal's content is beyond awsome. Decide for yourself if you'd like to follow a rather endurance based approach ir rather lower reps. Both are legit.

I have detailed the above approach in other posts on this forum, and I managed 19 reps while holding a 20 lb. hex dumbbell between my feet. Most of my training on the other two days was with a 12, 16, or 20 kg bell on a belt, and once per week, I did a warmup set, a near max set, and a backoff set, and I cycled the near-max numbers so, e.g., 12, 13, 14, 9, 13, 14, 15, 10, and so on. When the near-max set reached 17 reps, I went for max reps the following week and got 19.
How would it (or would not) cooperate with daily S&S practice? Is it advisable to incorporate up to 3 Pullup session per week with S&S, or maybe 2 would be better approach?

@mikhael, one would need to know a lot more before answering that question.

In principle, if one is doing S&S daily, no other training, getting enough to eat, getting enough sleep, happy with their job, has 1.4 children, 2 dogs, is in a stable long-term relationship, and has a nice home in the suburbs, then adding one more exercise should not be a problem.

:)

Many people here do S&S + something else. The person who masters the idea of not pushing their daily S&S practice too hard will have room for other things.

I've have found that training as often as possible while remaining as fresh as possible works best - it is a way to train for strength for a lifetime, and allows plenty of time for strength to increase. I wouldn't make as much progress doing only 2 pullup sessions per week, but there are people who train only once a week and make progress. It's best to try it both ways and see how you do. One could cycle this approach, e.g., build up some weekly volume of pullups by training 3 times a week, then aim to peak by continuing to make the sessions harder but reducing to 2 times per week for a few weeks before testing your max. See Reloaded and other similar programs.

-S-

Hello,

How would it (or would not) cooperate with daily S&S practice? Is it advisable to incorporate up to 3 Pullup session per week with S&S, or maybe 2 would be better approach?
As always, I guess...it depends :)

Is the goal achieving Simple (for example) or achieving the pull up goal ? If you want as a primary goal to get to Simple, IMHO, the best option is to focus on this. If you do not especially chase it, but if you are happy and comfortable when you currently are, then adding a pull up routine 3x a week can not be detrimental at all.

I agree with @Steve Freides . For instance, FPP 3x a week seems to work well with a daily S&S practice. Most of the time, we can consider than S&S can be done daily until Simple. Beyond Simple require more rest, so sessions are not done daily.

I do pull ups on a daily basis as a part of my routine. However, in this case, the goal is not to get better (pull heavier or more rep). I just do a maintenance by doing X amount of repetitions.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

As always, I guess...it depends :)

Is the goal achieving Simple (for example) or achieving the pull up goal ? If you want as a primary goal to get to Simple, IMHO, the best option is to focus on this. If you do not especially chase it, but if you are happy and comfortable when you currently are, then adding a pull up routine 3x a week can not be detrimental at all.

I agree with @Steve Freides . For instance, FPP 3x a week seems to work well with a daily S&S practice. Most of the time, we can consider than S&S can be done daily until Simple. Beyond Simple require more rest, so sessions are not done daily.

I do pull ups on a daily basis as a part of my routine. However, in this case, the goal is not to get better (pull heavier or more rep). I just do a maintenance by doing X amount of repetitions.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I have an incoming test and in order to complete one of its requirements a decent number of reps need to be performed. S&S is a GPP for me, and I aim in Simple as well.

50 seems ok, but never believed people who claimed to do 100 a night. Feels like a great way to smash all your joints.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom