all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 500 Bodyweight Squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think it is a legit goal and will probably benefit nearly all things fitness related while having minimal hinderance.

I’ve done it multiple times it’s not as hard as you think. If you can do 100 without any trouble then you should get 500. As @Sergej mentioned it becomes more meditative after a certain number. As being a goal worth shooting for, from experience I’d say no. There is no great benefit from being able to achieve 500. I got just as much from my daily 100 than my occasional 500. Much less wear & tear too.

Hello,

I think it can be fun and challenging for a while. However, the body adapts pretty fast. Then, to maintain the challenge, one has to either add reps (or reduce the time) or switch to an harder version.

For instance, this is a drawback of Furey's Royal Court.

When it clearly becomes [too] easy, it can be the signal to make things harder. Nonetheless, as always, it is a matter of goal: endurance / strength-endurance, meditation, strength...

Kind regards,

Pet'

this guy is a real ex-con, who has a few interesting videos. seems that REAL prison training is really more about high rep stuff done repeatedley than progressions.

nevertheless, he looks strong and capable.

Reading the alphabet 500 times is very tiring and a struggle to do

Is is tiring or a struggle? Surely it is just boring? You won't get any better at the alphabet, or anything else for that matter, by repeating it 500 times. If you can do the alphabet once, you can do it again.

But if you can only do, say, 100 squats in a row, training to do 500 squats means you have got better at squats. And it may mean you get bettter at other things.

I just don't think squats and the alphabet are at all comparable...

Not for me. More of something easy is just more of something easy.

It's like deciding to read the alphabet 500 times instead of a 500 page novel.

Reading the alphabet 500 times is very tiring and a struggle to do, but does this make it a valuable exercise? I think not.

Is is tiring or a struggle? Surely it is just boring? You won't get any better at the alphabet, or anything else for that matter, by repeating it 500 times. If you can do the alphabet once, you can do it again.

But if you can only do, say, 100 squats in a row, training to do 500 squats means you have got better at squats. And it may mean you get bettter at other things.

I actually like the way Kozushi worded his comparison better the first time. It seems to imply that doing a variety of squat based movements for those repetitions is more valuable than repeatedly performing the same movement. That is more in keeping, for example, with what Herschel Walker did for his massive push-up repetitions.

Last edited:
Hello,

Steve Maxwell also claims for a lot of variation from day to day, to secure gains, health and longevity. To a certain extent, the more variation we add, the more "well-rounded" we can expect to be. However, Nothing beats specificity but it is a narrower approach.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Leaving aside concerns about building strength - Are there health benefits to high rep work? I've read about people dropping fat on such a program. How does it affect the heart, insulin sensitivity, immune function, etc?

It's just that there are other things I could be doing with my time giving me more gains than 500 squats. Anything repeated a lot is annoying, but I don't equate annoying with "good" or "progress". I could stand at attention for 10 minutes, or 10 hours, and I wouldn't be getting "better" at standing attention doing it longer - it isn't something you need to be able to do for 10 hours.

Same with squats - if you can do something like 50 in a row then you're already an expert. It's time to start putting weight on your back.

Who is stronger, the guy who can do 500 squats in a row, or the guy who can do a squat with a few hundred pounds of weight added on his back?

I guess my postulate is that heavy or light, high reps is hard simply because it's high reps. More can be gotten out of low reps high weight.

However, if we're talking about cardio training, then yes, the 500 squats is a good idea! But, how about going for an hour long walk instead? Or a jog? These are more practical exercises I'd think.

When I think of endurance challenges, I think "if you could do X, then imagine how easy 1/2 X would be."

So, considering 500 squats, what would that make easy? I could see maybe mountain climbing - a man who could do 500 squats could probably walk up and down a mountain with relative ease. As I write this out, it occurs to me that it might be a reasonable way of building some hill climbing endurance for OCR.

So I'd ask, what else do you think it would enable you to do?

I believe if you challenge yourself with things like that from time to time you will be gratefull at the end! A few months ago, I woke up and told myself I wanted to try to do 1000 push ups, didn't matter if it was with minimum time possible or just throughout the day, I just wanted to do it! And it felt really awesome those last reps!!

Is it a goal worth shooting for?

Well, it' s mostly cardio / endurance at that rep count.

What's the opportunity cost?

Is it better for conditioning than rucking for the same amount of time?

I'd probably rather ruck, as it's a more variable stimulus if one is walking on variable terrain and will hit the legs from multiple angles as one walks up and down hills.

Okay, so if you can't ruck...

Is it a better conditioning approach than burpees, in half the time?

Probably not.

I think it is a legit goal and will probably benefit nearly all things fitness related while having minimal hinderance.

But is it a good use of time compared to something that hits the body from more angles?

Sure, it's better than being sedentary...

It seems inefficient. I would go for a mix of regular, one leg, hindu, and skater/shrimp squats, and pistols or progressions to pistols.

Yeah, it doesn't seem efficient.

Rather than 500 bi lateral air squats, I'd rather do:

100 bulgarian split squats
100 cossack squats
100 hindu squats

That's going to hit the body from more angles, and has more single leg work.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom