all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 500 Bodyweight Squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Leaving aside concerns about building strength - Are there health benefits to high rep work? I've read about people dropping fat on such a program. How does it affect the heart, insulin sensitivity, immune function, etc?

It's cardio.

Depending on the tempo and intensity, it's probably similar to walking up flights of stairs.

I would expect the usual impact on heart, insulin, etc, as moderately vigorous cardio.

I would expect it to be not as good as rowing or cross-country skiing, as air squats aren't using both the upper and lower body as those exercises do.

It reminds me of Viking warrior conditioning. Doing around 8-10 reps in 15 seconds, rest 15 seconds for up to 80 sets.

Surely it has the same value as VWC if an air squat it’s just as difficult as a 16kg snatch? Perhaps you could do a make shift goblet squat by filling a small suitcase with sand or books?

Edit: or just do VWC with jump squats?

Surely it has the same value as VWC if an air squat it’s just as difficult as a 16kg snatch?

I don't know many who would say 1 air squat = 1 rep of 16 kg snatch.

They certainly don't feel subjectively close to me.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding...

But is it a good use of time compared to something that hits the body from more angles?

Sure, it's better than being sedentary...

Here is my updated, recent opinion on that:
It won't do much in terms of strength/hypertrophy. If you are able to do 500 squats it is not intensive enough. You can build muscle by high reps but 500 is too much. Better look out for exercises that limit your reps to 50 at max. Better yet ~ 20 to 30. Research in the last years has shown that even high rep, low intensity yields similar results in terms of hypertrophy as compared to lower reps with high intensity. Those high rep sets have to be taken close to or to failure (unfortunately I don't remember the specific numbers anymore. @kennycro@@aol.com is usually a reliable source of information. More specific insights would be highly appreciated if he knows more about it) However, high reps won't do much in terms max strength.

Here is my updated, recent opinion on that:
It won't do much in terms of strength/hypertrophy. If you are able to do 500 squats it is not intensive enough. You can build muscle by high reps but 500 is too much. Better look out for exercises that limit your reps to 50 at max. Better yet ~ 20 to 30. Research in the last years has shown that even high rep, low intensity yields similar results in terms of hypertrophy as compared to lower reps with high intensity. Those high rep sets have to be taken close to or to failure (unfortunately I don't remember the specific numbers anymore. @kennycro@@aol.com is usually a reliable source of information. More specific insights would be highly appreciated if he knows more about it) However, high reps won't do much in terms max strength.

Right.

So if it's not doing much in terms of strength/hypertrophy, it's basically an endurance / cardio exercise.

Maybe a good alternative to jumping rope if jumping rope is too high impact and/or there is a skilling issue...

I don't know many who would say 1 air squat = 1 rep of 16 kg snatch.

They certainly don't feel subjectively close to me.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding...

Sort off... I just noticed that that program has similar volume. So perhaps simply running that program but with air squats or jump squats might be a good option over just aiming for 500 squats? But if squats are too easy it probably wouldn’t work so you’d need it to be a similar intensity to a snatch.

Sort off... I just noticed that that program has similar volume. So perhaps simply running that program but with air squats or jump squats might be a good option over just aiming for 500 squats? But if squats are too easy it probably wouldn’t work so you’d need it to be a similar intensity to a snatch.

Bodyweight squats are way too easy compared to a snatch to make them substitutable goods.

Last edited:
Hello,

As always I think poison is in the dose.

I would stick to some kind of daily dose, as Pavel mentions.

Otherwise, maybe a regression from the pistol to calf raises can be interesting (pistol, Cossack, Hindu, Sissy, regular, jump, calf raises) with very low rest between each exercise.

It will work stength at the beginning, the cardio / conditioning as volume builds up.

There are also intensification protocols:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Ross Enamait seems to think it is a totally worthwhile goal, and he trains world champions!
@Frank Matthews, so has Pavel Maçek. Not everyone who is a successful trainer, even at the highest levels, will share the same opinion on a given topic, and the question that originated this thread in 2018 is so vague as to have received answers that reflect a broad spectrum of goals.

It's best to pick a specific goal, not to ask "500 Bodyweight Squats - is it a goal worth shooting for?" because, as other have already observed, it may be a worthy goal for some people and some purposes solely because it's so difficult, if overcoming a difficult thing is the goal. But on our strength and conditioning forum, it's like asking, "Is it good to drive to Toledo, Ohio?"

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom