all posts post new thread

Barbell 501 Kg Deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
Anybody else watching the livestream of Hafthor Bjornsson's attempt at the strongman DL world record?

It's not done yet, he's still working the warmup sets, but it's amazing the speed with which he's pulling the 424+ kg lifts.

His first warmup at 424 or whatever looked like the first part of a clean. Ridiculous bar speed.
501 was incredible

Wow. I wonder who or what is next. This seemed so smooth compared to Eddie’s 500kg. Still, Eddie is still the Beast for lifting that half tone first.

Wow. I wonder who or what is next. This seemed so smooth compared to Eddie’s 500kg. Still, Eddie is still the Beast for lifting that half tone first.

I'll get a lot of crap for saying this, but Thor didn't pass out after his attempt. At those weights, he probably could have gone for 10-15 pounds more and still have gotten it. Eddie had a busted face and had to be monitored by 5 people until he got back to his feet. Of course, Eddie Hall is still among the 2 guys who have pulled 500+ kgs, and I only bring up his physical issues occurring after the attempt to showcase how ridiculously heavy 1100 pounds is. But, Thor did not seem fazed when he put the bar down - he walked up to his crew, they removed his equipment, and he remained standing, which would lead me to believe that he is a little stronger now than Eddie was in his prime.

I'll get a lot of crap for saying this, but Thor didn't pass out after his attempt. At those weights, he probably could have gone for 10-15 pounds more and still have gotten it. Eddie had a busted face and had to be monitored by 5 people until he got back to his feet. Of course, Eddie Hall is still among the 2 guys who have pulled 500+ kgs, and I only bring up his physical issues occurring after the attempt to showcase how ridiculously heavy 1100 pounds is. But, Thor did not seem fazed when he put the bar down - he walked up to his crew, they removed his equipment, and he remained standing, which would lead me to believe that he is a little stronger now than Eddie was in his prime.

I'll agree, Eddie was pushing the edge of his body more than Haffthor was.

But the size difference between them is immense.

Hafthor is 6'9" and 425 lbs, a real genetic mutant.

Eddie is a more mainstream large human at 6'3" and 362.

Just watched the lift. It's almost hard to believe that really is 501kg from watching the lift but I don't doubt it. Pretty incredible.

I wonder how he'll feel tomorrow...

It is interesting to watch - I've never seen straps over the wrist twice like that, and I've also never seen the thumb and fingers over the bar like that.

That's a lot of weight, for sure, and he's incredibly strong.

-S-

It is interesting to watch - I've never seen straps over the wrist twice like that

Rogue Heavy Duty Figure 8 Lifting Straps

There are other versions available from different manufacturers but they're basically the same thing. They seem to limited to use for heavy deadlifts, farmers carries or anything where a quick 'bail out' isn't required. I'd be tempted to give them a try but I don't deadlift very often or particularly heavy these days.

Rogue Heavy Duty Figure 8 Lifting Straps

I have some old school leather ones, which I find less abrasive than the nylon ones.

That being said, once I earned my hookgrip calluses and killed the pain sensors in my thumbs, I stopped using them.

Clean pull. He claimed 520kg a few days ago. He only needed 501kg to get the money. 465kg was fast.

It’s great for the sport and hype for their fight. Eddie and Thor with settle it in the boxing ring.

Current record holder attempting to crush his own record.

Last edited:
The lift was great! The one issue I sort of have is that Eddie Hall did his lift during a strongman tour and had competed in a few events before the 500kg deadlift. The Mountain did this lift relatively fresh as he just had warm ups and his record breaking lift. Hall and Shaw have both had issues with this being held as an individual strongman lift for this reason leading up to today. Great lift, however, at the Arnold and Worlds they have already competed in events running up to the deadlift.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom