all posts post new thread

Barbell 501 Kg Deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
At a bodyweight of 193kg "The Mountain" is still not in the same league as "The Ant" - Richard Hawthorne

Over 4x bw x 4 reps here - no straps:

Very impressive! However if one were to compare Wilks scores, a common method in power lifting to compare competitors of different weight classes, I believe Thor's Wilks number would be higher (ignoring the straps and gear).

Very impressive! However if one were to compare Wilks scores, a common method in power lifting to compare competitors of different weight classes, I believe Thor's Wilks number would be higher (ignoring the straps and gear).

Really? ?I don’t know much about Hawthorne aside from this video by I’d believe his Wilkes would be much higher since Wilkes is determined by bodyweight to weight lifted ratio as in relative strength whereas Thor would be stronger in terms of absolute strength, no? Thor’s deadlift, impressive as it is, is under 3x bodyweight if he is the weight that someone earlier stated, (400 + pounds?) whereas Hawthorne is pulling 4x BW for reps.

Of course, I haven’t looked into the other two power lifts of each athlete so I can’t determine for certainty but judging from these deadlift comparisons, I’d say The AntsWilkes would be higher.

Had this conversation with a friend, and one of the really interesting aspects of physiology and lifting I find is how total absolute load takes a much higher toll once it gets to a certain threshold. I am too lazy right now to look up oly/powerlift records to find the crossover point where relative strength goes down, but at a certain load the sheer amount just becomes too demanding.

The lift was great! The one issue I sort of have is that Eddie Hall did his lift during a strongman tour and had competed in a few events before the 500kg deadlift. The Mountain did this lift relatively fresh as he just had warm ups and his record breaking lift. Hall and Shaw have both had issues with this being held as an individual strongman lift for this reason leading up to today. Great lift, however, at the Arnold and Worlds they have already competed in events running up to the deadlift.

This is another big point of consternation, and I'd also like to see Thor pull 500+ kgs under the same conditions Eddie and Shaw used to attempt. But I also think that he would have pulled 501 kgs irrespective of whether or not there were prior events, barring some kind of hamstring injury such as the one he picked up at the Arnolds.

Really? ?I don’t know much about Hawthorne aside from this video by I’d believe his Wilkes would be much higher since Wilkes is determined by bodyweight to weight lifted ratio as in relative strength whereas Thor would be stronger in terms of absolute strength, no? Thor’s deadlift, impressive as it is, is under 3x bodyweight if he is the weight that someone earlier stated, (400 + pounds?) whereas Hawthorne is pulling 4x BW for reps.

Of course, I haven’t looked into the other two power lifts of each athlete so I can’t determine for certainty but judging from these deadlift comparisons, I’d say The Ants Wilkes would be higher.

I don't think accurate maximal strength projections can be made from touch-and-go lifts. Obviously, Richard Hawthorne can out-deadlift me by hundreds of pounds and there's no denying this. But, that doesn't make a set of 4 touch-and-go repetitions accurate at predicting his maximum pull. I've learned this lesson the hard way in my own training, and I figured out that my own ability to pull something for 5 touch and go repetitions (straining, super hard reps) means I could probably hit a double with it, dead-stop, on a good day. Of course, a 610 x 2 deadlift is no laughing matter, but I think the style of repetitions should be taken into consideration when comparing two very different athletes with different goals. Thor also had straps on and he hitched the 1104 pounds he lifted. Yesterday's attempt was not powerlifting legal even if he could lift it without straps. But who cares? It's 1104 pounds.

Of course, I haven’t looked into the other two power lifts of each athlete so I can’t determine for certainty but judging from these deadlift comparisons, I’d say The AntsWilkes would be higher.

Ant: So at 610 lb lift at 132 lb bodyweight, a Wilks calculator gives 236.4.

Mountain: At a 501kg lift at 193 kg bodyweight, a Wilks calculator gives 267.0.

So all things being equal, and assuming the same rules, federation, straps/no straps, etc, the Ant would need to increase his 610lb deadlift to 689 lb to get a 267 Wilks.

Regards,

Eric

This is another big point of consternation, and I'd also like to see Thor pull 500+ kgs under the same conditions Eddie and Shaw used to attempt. But I also think that he would have pulled 501 kgs irrespective of whether or not there were prior events, barring some kind of hamstring injury such as the one he picked up at the Arnolds.
Shawn has a good interview that he did on his youtube channel about how there has been a lack of consistency regarding the different types of bars and actually weighted plates. It's a good watch.

Thor looked huge. Pushing 500lb in my opinion. Size is always misreported in strongman. I have met Hafthor and Ray Williams in person and the thickness of these athletes is cartoonish.

In the Shaw years Thor was 6’7”. Now he is 6’9. How much stuff do you take to make you taller?

An awesome load hoisted by an awesome human.

Last edited:
Ant: So at 610 lb lift at 132 lb bodyweight, a Wilks calculator gives 236.4.

Mountain: At a 501kg lift at 193 kg bodyweight, a Wilks calculator gives 267.0.

So all things being equal, and assuming the same rules, federation, straps/no straps, etc, the Ant would need to increase his 610lb deadlift to 689 lb to get a 267 Wilks.

Regards,

Eric

Man my idea of Wilkes calculations were all wrong ???

Shawn has a good interview that he did on his youtube channel about how there has been a lack of consistency regarding the different types of bars and actually weighted plates. It's a good watch.

Yeah, I'd think trying to pull 500+ kgs on an elephant bar like the one at the Arnolds would be impossible just because the bar whip and deep-dish plates would pull you back to the floor. Pulling with calibrated plates and a standard deadlift bar is a more stable method of measuring strength.

The lift was great! The one issue I sort of have is that Eddie Hall did his lift during a strongman tour and had competed in a few events before the 500kg deadlift. The Mountain did this lift relatively fresh as he just had warm ups and his record breaking lift. Hall and Shaw have both had issues with this being held as an individual strongman lift for this reason leading up to today. Great lift, however, at the Arnold and Worlds they have already competed in events running up to the deadlift.
I believe you are wrong on this account. The Deadlift and log lift events alternate each year and are the first event of a strongman comp. Many competitors come and do the first event and the rest continue afterwards for the rest of the comp.

Prior to his 500kg pull Eddie hadn't done anything else

I believe you are wrong on this account. The Deadlift and log lift events alternate each year and are the first event of a strongman comp. Many competitors come and do the first event and the rest continue afterwards for the rest of the comp.

... and if they didn’t make Jerry and Benni wait 45-60min to make their attempts, they may have made it also.

Funny to see Eddie talk down Thor’s 501kg because his conditions were tailored for Eddies attempt just as much.

Last edited:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

I am a "not very strong" ant but MUCH rather be an ant than a mountain for all sorts of reason. Probably top of the list is that little dogs live several times longer on average than big dogs!

That video above of Ant going through his entire dl protocol is brilliant. Best deadlift tutorial I've ever seen by a long way. I learned a lot from just the first watching. @DuncanGB, thank you for posting it!

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom