all posts post new thread

Barbell 501 Kg Deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Podcast- Mark Bells Power Project #376, 378, 345

Entertaining as hell. Listen during Deadlift practice.

Thor looked huge. Pushing 500lb in my opinion. Size is always misreported in strongman. I have met Hafthor and Ray Williams in person and the thickness of these athletes is cartoonish.

In the Shaw years Thor was 6’7”. Now he is 6’9. How much stuff do you take to make you taller?

An awesome load hoisted by an awesome human.

During the live stream, they announced that he was 205 kg or 451 lbs. Still huge by any standard.

The lift was judged under Strongman rules allowing for straps, supportive gear and hitching. I thought the hitching was minimal to non-existent.

Some say the lift looked so easy that he was good for quite a bit more. Perhaps...but I think the DL is very deceptive. I did a test a few weeks ago that felt like an absolute max effort. Looking at the vid my wife took of the lift, I was surprised at how fast the bar moved. My son said I could have got two or three reps...I said no way.

Regarding comments on the elephant bar being harder, it might be the case in terms of stabilizing your body relative to the weight that's moving around. Otherwise, it's similar to doing lifts with bands or chains...lighter at the start of the pull and heavier at lock out.

Notwithstanding Eddie's comments on the validity of the record...that was a hell of a feat of strength!

What is it about Biloxi, Mississippi, and incredibly strong, smart people?

... Delta Blues or Delta 20...?

Yes, Richard Hawthorne is local here at a gym called Southern Elite Fitness and I have been to that gym once (for a yoga workshop, haha). I drive close by it every day on my way to work, when I am not working at home! I need to go meet him sometime!!

I love "The Ant", he's more impressive. His deadlifts are Zen.
There are a lot more. Dmitri Nasonov with 400 kg sumo DL at 81 kg BW almost x5 times BW. Yuri Belkin with 440 kg at 100 kg BW. Both no straps. The list is long. And 426 kg beltless by Konstantin Konstantinovs was the most impressive DL I ever saw.

Last edited:
I will come out and say that the 501kg lift by Thor is the most impressive deadlift I've ever seen. Clearly.

Powerlifting deadlifts are another case that play by their own rules.

I get it that relative strength is impressive but I doubt anyone would be impressed by Thor running 100 metres in 25 seconds.

I will come out and say that the 501kg lift by Thor is the most impressive deadlift I've ever seen. Clearly.

I get it that relative strength is impressive but I doubt anyone would be impressed by Thor running 100 metres in 25 seconds.
or by Thor's and Eddie's boxing skills - what a joke

I always find multiples of bodyweight a bit of a smoke screen - it's a strength sport and the aim is to lift the most weight. Wilks, multiples of bodyweight etc are great for getting larger participation numbers for the feds but the strongest person is the person who lifts the most.

I always find multiples of bodyweight a bit of a smoke screen - it's a strength sport and the aim is to lift the most weight. Wilks, multiples of bodyweight etc are great for getting larger participation numbers for the feds but the strongest person is the person who lifts the most.

Right.

This is is why every weightlifter I know tries to be as heavy as possible, but not go over, within his competition weight bracket.

When I'm training, I stay just above >109 kg (at 5'11" / 180 cm), but if I competed there, I'd be competing again against the ultra heavy weights, guys 6'2"+ and 110+ kg bodyweight. They will lift more than me.

So I diet down before competition so I can weigh in at about 107 kg, which makes me a "bigger guy" in the 102-109 bracket and allows me to compete against guys who are technically more skilled than me, but a bit smaller. Their snatch skills are often better than mine, but I can usually jerk more.

In the end, you don't win on style points, and being bigger helps lift more.

Last edited:

Yeah, regardless of strength and bodweight ratio, hand wraps and possible consumption of super supplements, there is something truly fascinating about those who pushes the limits for human performance and capabilities. And there must be something about Icelanders and high levels of strength potential. :)

I'll join the minority who's not completely impressed by this lift. 2.6 BW. 501 kg, ok. A lot of raw power, and a room for improvement.

IHMO, as I said earlier in the thread it's wildly unfair to claim relative BW about super heavyweights. Absolute load is just too much. The world record for the heaviest guys is barely 3x BW (IPF numbers).
Also, a guy who deadlifted 1000lbs has "alot of room for improvement"?

Also, a guy who deadlifted 1000lbs has "alot of room for improvement"?
I have my own reasons to say this, however, I won't explain it publicly, out of respect to this athlete, as he accomplished much more positive things than something I had in mind (and not only me).
I also agree about relative and absolute loads, again I was talking about particular case. Hope it explains the case with my post. I'll give a time to read this answer, then I'll remove my both posts in order to avoid further arguments, which are not fair for Thor, accomplished athlete and the world strongest man. Sorry, if somebody's feeling was hurt.

I'd be more than happy if I could pull 300 kg as fast as Lasha pulls this:

From time to time I will pull up Lasha on Youtube and watch him compete. I have to put vid on slow mo to see what he is doing, too explosive to watch at regular speed. Would be interesting to see how he would do in the NFL.

Thor now says he will never compete in WSM or Giants live after a back and forth with Eddie Hall.

Arnolds and WUS is still an option.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom