all posts post new thread

Barbell 54321 Progress

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Why did you quit Grayskull LP?

I didn't feel like there was enough specificity. The movements were performed too infrequently to get in a groove.

I also was tired of resetting and deloading with no improvement on my AMRAP sets. This past fall I used 2.5 lb increases for pressing movement all the way through, even if I hit more than 10 reps on the AMRAP (my first AMRAP bench press set was 18 reps @ 135 using my narrow grip). It's discouraging to spend almost three months building up and stalling at a previous 5RM, deloading 10% and hitting the same AMRAP numbers five weeks later.

Squats went OK and deadlifts started out fine but eventually my reps started rapidly decreasing. Again, one max set/week did not feel like enough.

I'm interested in PTTP ideas for a 3x week setup.

Is it your understanding of that program that the appropriate measure of progress is the AMRAP sets?

(I’m asking- I honestly don’t know if that’s the designer’s intent ir not)

I also was tired of resetting and deloading with no improvement on my AMRAP sets. This past fall I used 2.5 lb increases for pressing movement all the way through, even if I hit more than 10 reps on the AMRAP (my first AMRAP bench press set was 18 reps @ 135 using my narrow grip). It's discouraging to spend almost three months building up and stalling at a previous 5RM, deloading 10% and hitting the same AMRAP numbers five weeks later.
Did you try to lose weight or something like that?
You shouldn't stall 3x at the same (or around the same weight) unless you really hit your body's natural limit for a linear progression.
Given your age, weight etc. I don't think that you reached that point already.
If you decide to give it another shot, whenever you get 10+ reps on the AMRAP set double the added pounds -> 5lbs instead of 2.5 on presses and 10lbs instead of 5 for DL/squat.
A weight that you can press for 5,5,18 reps isn't going to do anything for your max strength, so be more aggressive with adding weight.

I'm interested in PTTP ideas for a 3x week setup.
PTTP is a 5 day per week program.
If you can only lift 3x look for a fitting routine and don't try to alter and bastardize a certain routine just because you like it.
Do you like PTTP for the high frequency of the lifts? Have a look at Tactical Barbell then. The Operator template is 3x per week and doing every lift on every of those 3 days.

Do you like PTTP for the high frequency of the lifts? Have a look at Tactical Barbell then. The Operator template is 3x per week and doing every lift on every of those 3 days.

I enjoy the higher frequency. Pavel Tsatsouline wrote that PTTP could be done 3-5 times per week. My intent wasn't to "bastdardize" the routine, but only to see how others may have implemented it 3x week.

I read TB 3rd edition and planned on beginning a block about a year ago before a military obligation came up. I started a new Operator template Monday night.

I've completed 70% week today. Starting weights were 140lbs on the bench press, 160 on the squat and bodyweight for pull ups. 1st workout, 3x5 @ 70% was very easy. So Wednesday and today were an easy 4x5 an 5x5, respectively, on all 3 exercises. I've kept the rest periods at 2 minutes to start. I'll continue to adjust volume as the block goes on.

Deadlifts are 3x week, one set before pull ups.

My bench press grip is about 3 inches wider, now at 22 inches instead of 19. It allows my touch point to be in the same place as my narrower grip, while keeping my wrists vertical. In addition, my reps are briefly paused on the chest.

Thank you for the input Kettlebelephant.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom