all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed 5x5 and hypertrophy

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

alobai

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi,

I just joined the forum and apologize if this isn't the right section in the forum to post my questions!

I came to know the 5x5 method from Pavel’s interview with Tim Ferris and I’ve used the 5x5 method for about 8 months so far. My understanding of strength training is basic and I have some concerns based on the following: My strength slightly increased but my overall physique didn’t change! I used to do 1 set and then rest for 10 min to 30 min or even to a couple hours between sets and I’m not sure if this was correct to do? Also, is increasing weight important in the 5x5?

Regarding hypertrophy should someone avoid it for good? If not and my aim is for strength, is it fine to added few sets with extra reps with my 5x5 training?

Thanks,

I suggest you get a copy of at least one of Pavel's books and read it, cover to cover.

-S-

Let's see what others have to say, but on the subject of strength and hypertrophy, you could start with the free, online article Pavel has on Tim's web site about the Faleev program. Here's a link

Pavel: 80/20 Powerlifting and How to Add 110+ Pounds to Your Lifts

Pavel's earliest book I'm aware of is Power To The People! and it's still a very good read. It discusses getting bigger and stronger via the Bear program included in the book.

Enter The Kettlebell has a good discussion of rest period as they impact hypertrophy.

Pavel's most recent, Kettlebell Simple and Sinister, has cut fat and added muscle for many here.

-S-

5x5 for muscle compress the rest 30sec-2min.

5x5 for strength longer rest 3min-5min+

I had fantastic results using Faleevs original plan of starting with 5x8. This from a lanky 6 foot, 150 pound guy though. That extra volume helped me add some muscle. Deadlift one rep max was 275 weighing 160 last time I trained it. Ten weeks in to Faleev, pulled 285 for 5x5 weighing 165. I rested 5 minutes between sets. First set generally ended when bar slowed down. By the last set, that same number of reps might involve a real grinder by the last rep. I would let myself go to my very last rep on the last set if needed, but just dropped rep number as needed for any of the first 4 sets. Eventually weight got to where I could only do 5x5, but that process took pleasantly longer than expected as strength shot up with beginner hypertrophy gains.

Last edited:
Hi,

I just joined the forum and apologize if this isn't the right section in the forum to post my questions!

I came to know the 5x5 method from Pavel’s interview with Tim Ferris and I’ve used the 5x5 method for about 8 months so far. My understanding of strength training is basic and I have some concerns based on the following: My strength slightly increased but my overall physique didn’t change! I used to do 1 set and then rest for 10 min to 30 min or even to a couple hours between sets and I’m not sure if this was correct to do? Also, is increasing weight important in the 5x5?

Regarding hypertrophy should someone avoid it for good? If not and my aim is for strength, is it fine to added few sets with extra reps with my 5x5 training?

Thanks,
5X5 of what exactly?

For changing body shape to trim and tight as opposed to loose and flabby, S&S is excellent, and this is mostly due to the emphasis on 1 handed swings which engage a huge number of muscles through your midriff. Engaging the twist/anti-twist muscles all through your core is what trims up your midriff so that you're all tightly packed in there instead of all loose and flabby. In my personal experience, 2 handed swings didn't suck in my gut but 1 handed swings did and do. Deadlifts are different - I did notice them pulling in my stomach too, and I expect this is due to the heavy weight I am lifting when I do deadlifts as opposed to the lighter weight used in 2 handed swings. Just my experience though.

If you're more inclined to deadlifts and barbell work, go for "Power to the People" but if you're more inclined to kettlebell swings, which be warned are very dynamic and "sport-like" with lots and lots of sweat, then go for "Simple and Sinister".

5X5 of what exactly?

For changing body shape to trim and tight as opposed to loose and flabby, S&S is excellent, and this is mostly due to the emphasis on 1 handed swings which engage a huge number of muscles through your midriff. Engaging the twist/anti-twist muscles all through your core is what trims up your midriff so that you're all tightly packed in there instead of all loose and flabby. In my personal experience, 2 handed swings didn't suck in my gut but 1 handed swings did and do. Deadlifts are different - I did notice them pulling in my stomach too, and I expect this is due to the heavy weight I am lifting when I do deadlifts as opposed to the lighter weight used in 2 handed swings. Just my experience though.

If you're more inclined to deadlifts and barbell work, go for "Power to the People" but if you're more inclined to kettlebell swings, which be warned are very dynamic and "sport-like" with lots and lots of sweat, then go for "Simple and Sinister".

Thank you very informative and detailed points.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom