all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 5x5 Grinds question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have been doing Faleev/Pavel 5x5. Warm up sets + 5 top sets. Lately, I do the two warm up sets using 50% and 75% of the target top set of the day (I think Marty Gallagher mentioned in his book or an article)

I'd say it depends. I see more value for the Reg Park style if you use a really heavy weight that you cannot use for 5 sety, yet. Like:
-32x5
-36x5
-40x5x3

That way you "save" strength for the top 3 sets and use the first two as confidence builders.

If using KB's I'd either warm up with another lift, warm up with the same weight but less reps than the 5 work sets, or no warm-up at all and just do the work sets. It all depends on the intensity and physical condition. However, I've found when in comes to KB's warm-ups are nice but but not necessary.

I do neither.

I begin the cycle doing five sets of five reps. Whenever I'm able to complete all the sets, leaving a couple reps in the tank, I bump the load a little. And continue to do so until I reach a stalling point.

Then, I just lower the load 10% and drop the fifth set. So, from now on, I'll do four sets of five reps.

When I get stuck again, I will deload and drop the fourth set. Sow now it's just three sets of five reps.

Rinse and repeat the whole process until I get stuck doing just one set of five reps.

Then, I start the whole cycle all over again, exactly at the same weight I originally got stuck doing 5x5.

@Mark Kidd if you are interested in that 5x5 type of training you might want to check out Mike Mahler. If I remembet correctly his routines oftentimes revolve around that.

I don't really understand the reason to do straight sets of five. I always ladder, wave load and volume, or pyramid up and then backoff, or do multiple sets with a buffer like sets of 3 with a heavier weight rather than 5*5. If you can lift for 5*5 then it is a light weight. That strikes me as leaving too much in the tank. It is clear that is works because almost anything done consistently will work I acknowledge. It just does not seem optimal. I would use a lighter bell for fives and a heavier bell for threes and wave the sets. For barbell work, I would pyramid up and then down or do doubles or lots of sets of triples before a light back off set or two.

I do neither.

I begin the cycle doing five sets of five reps. Whenever I'm able to complete all the sets, leaving a couple reps in the tank, I bump the load a little. And continue to do so until I reach a stalling point.

Then, I just lower the load 10% and drop the fifth set. So, from now on, I'll do four sets of five reps.

When I get stuck again, I will deload and drop the fourth set. Sow now it's just three sets of five reps.

Rinse and repeat the whole process until I get stuck doing just one set of five reps.

Then, I start the whole cycle all over again, exactly at the same weight I originally got stuck doing 5x5.
Can’t do that with bells.

I disagree.

I have a complete set of double KBs, ranging from 8 kg. to 48 kg. in two kilo increments, plus a few magnetic Platemates so I can micro-load if necessary. :)

That's quite a setup and sounds really great to me. How much did it set you back?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom