all posts post new thread

Barbell 6 Straight Months of PTTP. What Next?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

freeflowme

Level 4 Valued Member
Hey all,

I've been PTTP-ing conventional deadlifts and overhead presses since February of this year, with what I'd call good results. My first cycle of DLs back in February ended with a heavyish 185x5. My last cycle of July culminated in a really strong 290x5. My first cycle of OHPs stopped at 95x5. My last of July reached 130x5.

However, for the first time since I started PTTP I find myself really unmotivated. I think there's several factors:

1) I was away for 10 days at the end of July - beginning of August, and coming back and starting a DL cycle again feeling significantly weaker was a slam to my psyche. I suppose there's nothing to do about that but get back into the routine and work through it.

2) I've seen little to no physical changes in training this way for 6 months (I've been taking pictures every couple of months). I'd like to at least look athletic / in shape. Perhaps that's more a factor of diet than programming, though?

3) I'd kind of like to practice other movements (squat, bench press), but I don't want to lose what I've gained by practicing deadlifts and OHPs 5 days/week.

I've been contemplating doing Starting Strength as it allows for hitting all the major compound movements. I don't love the idea of only doing 1x5 deadlifts 3x a week though, and that only for the very first part of the novice program, after which you alternate deadlifts and power cleans (I have little to no interest in practicing cleans). In general, I don't love how little pulling there is in SS compared to pushing. Given my history of imbalances and injuries, I'd like to try to do as much pulling as I do pushing (both upper and lower body). I've also really grown to like high frequency training - I like to touch the weights almost daily. That familiarity with the movement feels really good.

I've also thought about Even Easier Strength, but it doesn't seem like best for someone who's still untrained in several of the movements they'd be choosing (squat, bench in my case). I think I'd get a lot more out of a program that's designed around linear progression or periodization, at least for a few months.

Maybe it just comes down to "you can't have it all?" I.e. you can't squat every day, deadlift every day, bench every day, overhead press every day, AND do something like a pullup every day. Or maybe you can in some type of Justa Singles-type programming?

TL;DL - I've enjoyed PTTP-ing deadlift and press for the past 6 months, but feel I need something fresh. I'd like to practice squats and bench, but don't want to lose what I've gained on deadlift and press, and don't want to lose some kind of frequent upper-body pull. Please advise!

The low-bar squat like SS teaches is hinge-y, and still drives up DL with less DL frequency.

IIRC you lift in your living room? That probably won’t work for SS. Sessions also take more time and don’t leave you feeling rather fresh like PTTP is designed to. Two very different approaches.

The low-bar squat like SS teaches is hinge-y, and still drives up DL with less DL frequency.

IIRC you lift in your living room? That probably won’t work for SS. Sessions also take more time and don’t leave you feeling rather fresh like PTTP is designed to. Two very different approaches.

Indeed I do. I do have a flat bench and squat stands, though, and a ceiling mount pull-up bar which I use for FPP now, and could use when chins come into the novice program (stage C, I think). Fully dropping the bar on power cleans might be the only thing that's out, although I am using bumpers. Am I missing anything for SS? I think it'd doable.

The "fresh" aspect is probably a big deal. Life is super stressful these days, and I get probably only 6-7 hours sleep, often interrupted with the kids. I'm wondering if it's the 2x5 approach of PTTP, though, that's leading to me gaining strength via skill without really seeing any physical developments, though? Perhaps training has to be higher volume in a single session to see any muscular development? I don't want much, just something.

I think I recall an old DD post in which Pavel said you could alternate Squat/Bench and Deadlift/Press days PTTP-style, if you really want to be training the 3 powerlifting movements. Maybe that's the best option?

I asked about a DL plan for the TSC, and got a good response with “PTTP 2.0” template that is two days a week:
Need a DL plan

I guess it could be called “The Bear Cub” because it has the Bear back-off sets @ 80% of work weight, but only 2-3 (not up to 10).

Something like that might be a good minimum effective dose change. Maybe one day of the week do squat and bench PTP style to groove it, and maybe swap the order every main lift cycle (DL or squat)?

If you have bumpers and your floor is solid (eg not on top of a basement), cleans should be ok.

1) I was away for 10 days at the end of July - beginning of August, and coming back and starting a DL cycle again feeling significantly weaker was a slam to my psyche. I suppose there's nothing to do about that but get back into the routine and work through it.
It could be some other variables that contributed to this weakness? May be you did not sleep well the night before? 10 days is too short a period to lose your gains IMO. How did you feel subsequent days?

2) I've seen little to no physical changes in training this way for 6 months (I've been taking pictures every couple of months). I'd like to at least look athletic / in shape. Perhaps that's more a factor of diet than programming, though?
Easy Strength PTTP is not a program designed for such physical changes. It works on your pure strength. As for physical changes diet is key. And you would need more volume and intensity

I am in similar position as you. I have been doing a lot of PTTP. As for your next moves there are many options I am better folks here would help you. Along with your ideas you already have you want to consider StrongFirst and the 5x5 Method | StrongFirst and Faleev 80/20 Program. There is also the option of Reloaded ($6 on kindle), then as Steve Freides quoted elsewhere on the forum "lift. eat. sleep".

Last edited:
It could be some other variables contributed to this weakness? May be you did not sleep well the night before? 10 days is too short a period to lose your gains IMO. How did you feel subsequent days?

Easy Strength PTTP is not a program designed for such physical changes. It works on your pure strength. As for physical changes diet is key. And you would need more volume and intensity

I am in similar position as you. I have been doing a lot of PTTP. As for your next moves there are many options I am better folks here would help you. Along with your ideas you already have you want to consider StrongFirst and the 5x5 Method | StrongFirst and Faleev 80/20 Program. There is also the option of Reloaded ($6 on kindle), then as Steve Freides quoted elsewhere on the forum "lift. eat. sleep".

I was teaching all day and staying in a super uncomfortable dorm whilst away, so my stress was super high, my eating was very infrequent and rather poor nutritionally when I did eat, and my sleep was awful

I’ve definitely been thinking about the Faleev 80/20. Unlike SS or Stronglifts, it has the Pavel seal of approval . It’d be interesting to see how my body responds to what’s essentially the opposite of PTTP in terms of frequency.

Last edited:
Easy Strength FTW. But as mentioned, it’s not for hypertrophy, just strength.

Tactical Barbell offers a different approach with a range of options.

Easy Strength FTW. But as mentioned, it’s not for hypertrophy, just strength.

Tactical Barbell offers a different approach with a range of options.

I'm very intrigued by EES, and have been for several months. I'm leery about having time to do 10 reps of 5 different exercises in various rep schemes, but if the weights are more ~60% 5RM than PTTP being ~70-100% 5RM then I suppose I won't be needing to rest as long between sets.

I return to the question, though, of whether EES is the best option for someone who would be novice at 3 of the 5 lifts they choose (given that I've only done PTTP practicing deadlifts and presses... and FPP pullups). I reckon I'd make a lot faster progress on squats and bench moving up linearly workout to workout. The "add more when it feels easy" part of EES honestly throws me off... I feel like I need a linear or periodized template.

@freeflowme Check out Tactical Barbell. It’s in-line with SF philosophy, and with regards to programming is between SS and EES. Three templates based on time (few, longer sessions with few exercises, up to more frequent, shorter sessions with lots of exercises), and different ways to incorporate deadlifts.

@freeflowme Check out Tactical Barbell. It’s in-line with SF philosophy, and with regards to programming is between SS and EES. Three templates based on time (few, longer sessions with few exercises, up to more frequent, shorter sessions with lots of exercises), and different ways to incorporate deadlifts.

I think I'm going to invest in both Beyond Bodybuilding and Tactical Barbell e-books, as I've seen both Pavel's 3x5 tactical program and the TB Operator template tossed around in a lot of threads regarding minimalist-ish strength in the compound barbell movements with a touch of hypertrophy.

Honestly, I wonder if I'm overthinking it. I think it'd be possible to use the PTTP template and do alternating Squat + BP and DL + press days and get results. That'd be mostly focusing on strength as skill with like 15% (totally made up number) added hypertrophy. If I want more hypertrophy, add a set and go 3x5 but probably then need to add a day of rest in between training sessions. Then we end up at something like the SSNP Phase 1, where you do 3x5 squat, 3x5 BP / press, and 1x5 DL 3 days/week.

I think the main thing that's difficult for me to wrap my head around is that PTTP is the ONLY program I've come across that has you deadlift so frequently. I've come to enjoy the benefits of deadlifting daily, but I suppose you just can't deadlift that frequently AND bring up your squat. I have this fear that if I stop practicing the DL 5x/week I'm going to lose strength in that movement, along with whatever development I've gotten in my glutes, spinal erectors, and upper back. However, since pretty much every program built around all 3-4 of the compound barbell movements programs the DL with lower frequency / volume, I suppose I should trust it.

. I have this fear that if I stop practicing the DL 5x/week I'm going to lose strength in that movement

Don't worry about this. I might even wager that if you stop deadlifting so often, your deadlift might go up.

It's quite common, after a layoff, to feel worse/weaker for a little while but to eventually surpass your old bests. I recommend patience - resume PTTP and continue until it no longer yields progress for you.

They say 90% of changing body composition is diet. I agree. Eat better, eat less often, eat less. Even two out of those three will make a difference for most people.

3) I'd kind of like to practice other movements (squat, bench press), but I don't want to lose what I've gained by practicing deadlifts and OHPs 5 days/week.
You have a number of resources at your disposal. First, get back to PTTP and use it for all it's got. Second, if you search here, several people have found a PTTP variation of keeping the weekly volume about the same but changing to 3 days per week is a nice change of pace. Third, you have "Reload" available to you for $6 - you could do that. Fourth, you could order a PlanStrong plan for yourself. And both Reload and PlanStrong are easily adjustable to work with a single lift or up to four different ones, if memory serves.

-S-

A classic Easy Strength Program looks like this, done 4-5 days a week:

Swings and goblets to warm up
DL
Push
Pull
Ab wheel

With the exception of the swings (25-50) and 5 good reps with the ab wheel everything else is about 10 reps. Most folks settle on 2x5 or 3x3.

Sound familiar?

LP sounds like recovery may be challenging.

Tactical Barbell is looking good, except that in the Operator overview it says (paraphrased), “Remember, you’re not s powerlifter.” And I’m thinking... but I want to train like a powerlifter, don’t I? (plus overhead press and pull-ups).

Anywho, I’m debating Operator vs Zulu. In BB, Pavel stays that the 4-day split (Zulu) is one of the best. But Operator seems like it would err on the side of the minimum effective dose and, again Pavel says in BB that the M-W-F split has stayed around for so long because it just works.

One thing I’m not sure about is using percentages when I’m intermediate at the deadlift and press, but s complete novice at the squat and bench. I may just start those where comfortable, cycle up with them until they get heavy, cycle back down and build up a few times, and then actually take a 1RM after I’m somewhat trained.

Last edited:
Tactical Barbell is looking good, except that in the Operator overview it says (paraphrased), “Remember, you’re not s powerlifter.” And I’m thinking... but I want to train like a powerlifter, don’t I? (plus overhead press and pull-ups).

Anywho, I’m debating Operator vs Zulu. In BB, Pavel stays that the 4-day split (Zulu) is one of the best. But Operator seems like it would err on the side of the minimum effective dose and, again Pavel says in BB that the M-W-F split has stayed around for so long because it just works.

One thing I’m not sure about is using percentages when I’m intermediate at the deadlift and press, but s complete novice at the squat and bench. I may just start those where comfortable, cycle up with them until they get heavy, cycle back down and build up a few times, and then actually take a 1RM after I’m somewhat trained.
Using the powerlifts doesn't mean you have to train like a powerlifter. Just program them to better suit your needs.

Keep in mind that operator is higher frequency than Zulu, even if its 3 days vs 4. In Zulu you have days A and B, so the frequency of each exercise is 2/week. Operator is their staple, and has reported good results for size that is one of your goals, so why not pick that one?

About percentages, the book gives a clear guideline on how to determine your 1RM. Just apply percentages to that.

It's quite common, after a layoff, to feel worse/weaker for a little while but to eventually surpass your old bests. I recommend patience - resume PTTP and continue until it no longer yields progress for you.

They say 90% of changing body composition is diet. I agree. Eat better, eat less often, eat less. Even two out of those three will make a difference for most people.

You have a number of resources at your disposal. First, get back to PTTP and use it for all it's got. Second, if you search here, several people have found a PTTP variation of keeping the weekly volume about the same but changing to 3 days per week is a nice change of pace. Third, you have "Reload" available to you for $6 - you could do that. Fourth, you could order a PlanStrong plan for yourself. And both Reload and PlanStrong are easily adjustable to work with a single lift or up to four different ones, if memory serves.

-S-

Thanks, @Steve Freides. I've been mulling over what to do all weekend. When you first said this, I thought there would be no way that I'd stick with PTTP any longer. Interestingly, however, in messing around with a bench press and squat this evening, I found that I was able to crank out an easy 185 BP without having ever done a set of bench work (was a tough ~115 back in the spring), and do a nice below-parallel back squat with ~185, as well (up from ~115 back in the spring). This can be attributed to nothing other than getting generally stronger overall from PTTP-ing deadlifts and presses. That was enough of a WTH! effect to get me thinking.

As much as I'd like to train like a powerlifter - or even train like I was able to back in my late teens - the reality is that I'm self employed (stressful), usually get done working ~10pm, get to bed ~11-12pm, and get woken up by the kids ~6am (less than ideal sleep), and don't have the time to prepare food for myself as I'd like to ("meh" diet). At my present life stage, it's very probable that training PTTP-style and enjoying whatever WTH! effects I can get is actually my best bet.

I'll do some searching, but I'd really love to learn from those who've pushed PTTP relatively far and how they keep it going. I've found that, at my present strength levels, when I get up to 275-300lbs I need more rest. I'm never sure how to approach that because, after all PTTP isn't a peaking program, yet I still like to see just how far I can carry a cycle. Maybe that's a bad mindset and I should just cycle back down a little sooner and save that PR for the next one.

All of that said, the fact that my previous best DL was 290x5 (with a 300x3 in there too) and a 185 back squat feels shaky as all get-out does concern me. Granted many people's DL is often a bit above their squat, but that's a pretty ridiculous difference in strength between the two movements.

@Steve Freides, anyone else with experience doing it - is PTTP better with or without pull-ups?

I see pros and cons both ways. Pull-ups are perhaps the best accessory for both the deadlift and the press, however it’s possible that by adding an additional 50% to your workload you steal from recovery that would feed into your deadlift and press. After all, PTTP was built on 2 lifts @ 2x5, not 3.

However, if you look at the volume of the TS Operator, by way of comparison, it has you do 9-15 sets of a big lower body compound movement, 9-15 sets of an upper body press, and 9-15 sets of pull-ups per week. PTTP stays at the lower end of this volume, even with the inclusion of pull-ups. I guess the difference is that you get 4 rest days/wk on the TS Op vs. only 2 on PTTP. They and the TS Op has you primarily squatting, so there’s not that conflict over your upper back recruitment between DL and PU like in PTTP.

So many people seem to have run the Fighter Pullup Program alongside PTTP over the years, I wonder if Pavel has ever spoken directly about whether he thinks PTTP is definitively better one way or the other (i.e. pull-ups help your DL and press along more than they steal from your recovery, or vice versa)?

290x5DL compared to your 185 back squat...yeah it’s a little out of whack but no doubt with a little practice your back squat will shoot up. So I don’t think it’s a lack of strength but rather lack of technique/skill/practice.

If PTTP is working but you are concerned about your squat numbers, you can start warming up with the goblet squat to start grooving the movement pattern. I wouldn’t be surprised if that helped your squat numbers a bit without taxing your recovery too much.

Last edited:
@freeflowme, pull-ups work. I recommend press, pull-up, DL as an order.

Work back to the point where the weight demands more rest, the switch to a 3x/week DL approach.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom