all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 6 week OAOLPU Program result

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

somanaut

Level 5 Valued Member
For the last 6 weeks I have followed A 6-Week Program to Master the OA/OAOL Push-up | StrongFirst by @Karen Smith. In the article Karen asks to post the results of the program, so I will do that. Progress can also be followed at my training blog.

Result: My old 1RM was 20 cm elevation. After 6 weeks I retested and managed a single with left arm at 0 cm elevation (form was not up to the standards, but I got down and I got up with no bounce).

Review: I enjoyed the program as an alternative to the GTG method that Pavel advises (Karen mentions, that you can do GTG on off/alternative days, but I didn't do any). The program consists of light, medium and heavy days, one of the standard methodologies of Strong First of weaving the load. The light days had the most reps, and I actually found them the hardest, perhaps because I frontloaded to much, and had trouble rooting the working leg into the ground. Training too between 10 and 25 minutes, depending on how long breaks I used between sets. I had played around with the OA-/OAOLPU before, but never this focused. First week I was skeptical about the programming, volume seemed way to low to produce any adaptation, but 5x5 of light or medium and 5x3 of heavy (which is how I chose to increase) by week 6 was hard.

Conclusion: I got a great result from this minimalistic program, I assume, that a more fit and strong person could easily do this on top of something else (sans heavy pushing) like S&S or some barbell program. OAOLPU is a demanding skill, so it will task you if you are new to it. Would recommend it to a friend:)

Edit: Important to note, the left arm OAOLPU on the floor is an ABSOLUTE 1RM! This means, only when I am 100% fresh, very focused and a little bit lucky is this achievable for me, it doesn't mean, that I can now do OAOLPU on the floor (even with bad form) whenever I feel like it, that would require a lot more time and practise to achieve for me.

Last edited:
so happy to hear that you enjoyed it and that you made great progress with minimal work over the 6 weeks. That is the idea of this type of work.. it is taxing so the low volume produces great results without overloading your CNS.

Thank you for sharing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom