all posts post new thread

Nutrition 60g protein one go

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
I’ve been trying to up my protein intake to about 150g per day. One of the easiest ways to do it is to double up on protein scoops per shake. Basically 60g per serving
I remember reading somewhere that the body can only cope with/metabolise 30g at a time. Is there any point using 60g per sitting?

I’ve been trying to up my protein intake to about 150g per day. One of the easiest ways to do it is to double up on protein scoops per shake. Basically 60g per serving

Using A Sledgehammer To Kill A Fly

Consuming 60 grams per serving amount to using a Sledgehammer to kill a fly rather than a fly swatter.

In other words, the same amount of Muscle Protein Synthesis can be obtain with less protein; probably around 40 grams, at most.

So, what is the point of consuming 60 gram of protein? What make it the magic number? Why not consume 100 gram per meal?

I remember reading somewhere that the body can only cope with/metabolise 30g at a time.

Dogma

That dogma alone with eating every three hours, performing sit up to decrease abdominal, etc. continue to be perpetuated.

The body is capable of digesting more than 30 gram in one meal. However, that doesn't mean consuming 60 gram of protein in one meal is going increase Muscle Protein Synthesis. As with everything, there is a sweet spot.

Is there any point using 60g per sitting?

No

I haven't seen any research that support 60 gram of protein per sitting.

However, there is research that supports (dependent on age) the consumption of 40 gram of quality protein per sitting. I've provided several post on that.

Last edited:
30 grams of protein might not even trigger mtor at a high age as per the many posts by @kennycro@@aol.com.

I see two points in eating as high as 60 grams in one seating:

• Satiety and calorie restriction. 60 grams of protein are satiating and they have low calories, so it's good to lose weight.
  • If you eat plant protein you might need that much to reach 3.5 of leucine. Maybe a bit less, 50 grams or so.
I'm no expert by those are my thoughts based on the many thread in the forum

30 grams of protein might not even trigger mtor at a high age as per the many posts by @kennycro@@aol.com.

I see two points in eating as high as 60 grams in one seating:

• Satiety and calorie restriction. 60 grams of protein are satiating and they have low calories, so it's good to lose weight.
  • If you eat plant protein you might need that much to reach 3.5 of leucine. Maybe a bit less, 50 grams or so.
I'm no expert by those are my thoughts based on the many thread in the forum

Exactly. A commonly overlooked positive of higher protein consumption is what people are eating when not eating protein. A high protein doet does tend to naturally limit the amount of junk food you can get into yourself

If there wasn't, all of the one meal a day / warrior diet / IF people would shrink quite a lot.
This might actually be true. Most examples of people here doing WD or similar are rather lean but not jacked. Also compared to themselves on a different diet. It’s hard to build (a lot) of muscle on 1-2 meals a day

Personally I would space out the protein bolus a little more and use less. It won't hurt anything, but all depends on what you're trying to do.

The advice that Kenny has advocated many times on this forum and mirrored by the better advice elsewhere is largely based on increasing muscle protein synthesis. To that end anything much over 40g per meal won't hurt but probably won't do any additional good.

I found 4 shots of protein spaced out about 4 hrs at about 40-45g was perfect. This being three standard meals and one midafternoon "snack".

I remember reading somewhere that the body can only cope with/metabolise 30g at a time. Is there any point using 60g per sitting?

I'll agree with @Antti. Job #1 when it comes to protein intake is get enough grams of protein per day so your body has the amino acids on hand, the building blocks, to build and repair muscles and other tissues. Job #2, or even 3,4,5... somewhere down the list... is to optimally time the protein intake (and the particular protein content) to trigger MPS.

So I'd say, yes, there is a point to consuming 60g per sitting. As for "reading somewhere that the body can only cope with/metabolise 30g at a time"... perhaps... I'm not expert to be able to comment on that, but remember different forms of protein are digested and metabolized at different rates, and there are also other factors that can affect that. So it's not an all or nothing thing.

I can kill a 600 g steak without blinking. That would be more than 60 g protein I think. I can't make claims about protein absorption or amino acid utilisation, but it feels good.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom