all posts post new thread

701A , Or, "What the Hec !!"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MarkSch

Level 6 Valued Member
Rationale:
I want to keep progressing double kettlebell work. Plus, "Summer is Coming" , and some fat loss wouldn't hurt.

Background:
52 years old.
5' 7" , 80 Kg, (175 pounds). Roly-poly.
Desk job in IT.

Training background:
Prior to kettlebells, my main physical activity was martial arts, primarily Aikido for about 19 years. Since 2011, time constraints have steered me towards home training and kettlebells.

Kettlebell programs completed:

Rite Of Passage: Done through 32Kg . A half-weight one armed press continues to elude me.
Simple and Sinister - Completed Simple a few years ago. Can currently do 10 reps with 40 Kg for Turkish Getups with ease, swings lag behind at 32Kg.
Total Tension Complex - Twice, last time done with 2x24
Kettlebell Muscle - twice, with 2x16 and 2x20. The second time, I coughed up a lung twice, which seems physically improbable.
Kettlebell Burn 2.0 (2010) -- This was my most recent program. It delivered pretty well, as I lost 3-4.5 Kg (7-10 pounds) over a timeframe including Christmas, New Year, and a recent short vacation to lovely Austin, Texas and all the food - and drink!- I could manage.
Dry Fighting Weight . An interesting and productive program that made me stronger and more confident with heavier double kettlebells. My log is here, or in my signature block
Dry Fighting Weight : Happy Birthday! Now Get To Work.

Training Program:

Double Kettlebell Manisfesto, 701A, by Hector Gutierrez, Jr. (@Hector G ) Strictly by the book.
For off days, I will stretch, walk, and do fast and loose. Possibly some S&S style swings, as I really like those. We have had a soggy cold srping in the Philadelphia area,but I may yet try the "Zombies, Run!" app in a lighthearted way, because it looks fun and will get me outside.

Goals:
Fat loss
Overall strength
Hypertrophy is always welcome

The journey begins now.

Day One
Week One

(6/4/2018)

Weight Used : 2x24 Kg

Thoughts:
-Double KB complexes are interesting, especially after not doing them for a while and auto-regulating, as per Geoff Nuepert. They certainly deliver the promised metabolic load and time under tension.
-That said, this first medium session wasn't too difficult.
-Week Two looks rather terrifying and I am scared.

Last edited:
Day Two
Week One

(6/6/2018)

Light day

Thoughts:
-Light day is light
-Week 2 looms in this distance

but I may yet try the "Zombies, Run!" app in a lighthearted way, because it looks fun and will get me outside.

This app has done more to enhance my love of running than anything else. Though I have recently turned off Zombie chases (which are a wonderful integration for running intervals) to focus on running to my MAF heart rate.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it. :)

Day Three
Week One

Heavy day

Thoughts:
Well, that got my attention

Day One
Week Two (6/11/2018)

Medium day

Thoughts:
-Remember I was scared of the volume of week 2. Turns out I was entirely right. Whew!
-I'll need to spend recovery day rigging weights to my 24Kg -- this program requires finer graduations than Kettlebell Muscle or Total Tension Complex.

Day Two
Week Two (6/13/2018)

Weight Used : 2x28 Kg
Light day -- but note the higher weight. Sneaky!

Thoughts:
-The heavier weight makes this not feel very light. Thank goodness for fairly low reps.
-I don't actually own 28 Kg kettlebell, and I train at home.
-It's hard to mod a kettlebell with a barbell plate, without 100 feet of duct tape.

Day Three
Week Two (6/15/2018)

Heavy day

Thoughts:
--I wanted to die. Unable to finish sets as written most of the time.
--Seriously, what the Hec? Huge increase in reps and length of sets. Well,I can't say I wasn't warned.
--I must seriously consider dropping weight. Dry fighting Weight does not seem to carry over to complexes as well as I had hoped.

Day One
Week Three (6/18/2018)

Weight Used : 2x24 KG
Medium day

Thoughts:
--Went well.
-Need to find an efficient way to add 4KG to different size bells. Straps did not work well last time.

Day Two
Week Three (6/20/2018)

Weight Used : 2x28 KG
"Light "day -though with different weights

Thoughts:
--Weights were a little too heavy. I will stick with 2x28, though, as 2x24 seems to be my standard weight for 701A 2X276 KG is kinda silly.

Day Three
Week Three (6/22/2018)

Heavy day

Thoughts:
-Indeed a heavy day, though less volume than the dreaded week 2

Day One
Week four (6/25/2018)

Medium Day

Thoughts:
Maintenance week, with rest reduction. The rhythms of this program are definitely different than any I have done before.

Day Two
Week Four (6/27/2018)

Light day

Thoughts:
--A breather before the double snatches.

Day One
Week Five (7/02/2018)

Weight Used : 16KG , 20 KG, alternating hands. I don't have 18 Kg KB, and double 16 and 20 are too light and heavy, respectively
Medium day

Thoughts:
-I like the compressed rest period, along with slightly less reps.
-Snatches feel good.

Day Two
Week Five (7/04/2018)

Weight Used : 16KG , 20 KG, alternating hands. I don't have 18 Kg KB, and double 16 and 20 are too light and heavy, respectively
Light day

Thopughts:
- Still feels good.

Day Three
Week Five (7/06/2018)

Heavy day

Thopughts:
-Reps are higher, but lighter weights compensate a bit.
-Never set the bells down, which I was nervous about.

Day One
Week Six (7/09/2018)

Medium day

Thoughts:
-Slightly more volume. Bring it on.

Day Two
Week Six (7/11/2018)

Weight Used : 20KG , 24 KG, alternating hands. I don't have double 22 Kg KB, and double 20 and 24 are too light and heavy, respectively
Medium day

Thoughts:
-Heaviest double snatching I have ever done, right here. It went OK, need to concentrate like crazy on form.
-Challenging, but again did not put down bells. Yay.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom