all posts post new thread

Barbell 80/20 progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WarrenEllis

Level 4 Valued Member
I enjoy the programming suggested in Pavel’s take on Faleev’s 80/20 routine. It is a 5x5 routine, where twice a week you squat, twice a week you bench, and once a week you deadlift. Stretch and go home. One squat/bench day is meant to be a heavy day, and others are meant to be 80% of your work weight for practice and groove greasing. Deadlift heavy 5x5 once a week.

As far a progression, it is basically suggested to load the bar with a respectable weight on the heavy day, and if you land 5x5 with good form, add ten lbs next week. You’d inevitably reach a weight where you cannot perform 5x5, perhaps 5x4, or 5,5,5,4,3. You’d continue to work with this weight in subsequent heavy sessions until you land 5x5 and then increase again.

I’ve done this method before, but much prefer the PTTP stair step method. I’m currently progressing this way and am enjoying it. Has anyone else tried combining these two methods this way? Thoughts?

For those who are familiar with stair-stepping the weight, is there a point where 5 lbs up 4x, back 15, repeat is inappropriate? I wonder if 5 lb increases are appropriate for a 200 lb deadlift, but larger variables are called for when you’re in the 400’s, for example.

If anyone has any insight I’d appreciate hearing.

@WarrenEllis, not sure if I'm answering your questions, but as a rule, we prefer larger jumps that you'll really notice. I am a 350-lb-ish deadlifter and I change 10 kg, which is 22 lbs, at a time. I start my deadlifts at either 115 or 125 kg (253 or 275 lb) and also use 135 (308) and 145 (319). Once I'm hearing my limits, I'll sometimes go for a smaller increment and use 150 (330) and 155 (341), and above that, I'll use 2.5 kg increments (5 lbs.)

I think that's a fair guideline - use big-ish jumps when the weights are light-to-moderate for you.

-S-

IMO you should do it with the linear progression of 10lbs. That's the point of this method. Work again and again with the same weight until you can make it to 5x5. No deloads, no stair step, no ascending sets, no whatever other 5x5 methods suggest. just lift the same weight again and again to become stronger.

My current routine is based on 80/20(ita has differences, as I do OHP instead of light bench, and I have some accessory lifts), and I guarantee that it works. For example, 3-4 weeks ago I was doing for overhead press @70kg/154lbs something like 5x(4,4,3,2,2), and now I do 5x(5,5,5,4,4). I consider it to be quite a progress for 3-4 weeks.
The results for a more novice lifter would be much more impressive.

Yes I do domething similar. I might do 60% 1 week, then 65% week 2, then 70% week 3. Then deload week 4. Then do 65% week 5, then 70% week 6, then 75% week 7, then deload week 8. You get the idea...

I haven't done this, read the article once and liked the principle. I think the main idea is to have variance of intensity within a training week. My fear is that if you use step loading, you might do the easier workouts too heavy, or if there's special exercises, do them too heavily. If you would go all out in the hard workout it's mentally easier to take other workouts easy enough.

I use you as a passive pronomine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom