all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 90/90 Plate Crunches

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
Is this really bodyweight?

If weighted dips, push ups, and pull ups count, I guess so should these.

I'm not sure how "functional" they are in terms of training the core to be a stability and bracing pillar for distal movements, but they sure give me a big ab pump.

I also like that you can progress them just by adding weight.

I've currently been using a 20 kg plate, but maybe in a month or so I'll bump up to a 25 kg plate.

Hello,

For me, there are far from useless. We can consider the trunk in terms of function: extension, twist, flexion, bend. Plenty of activities require flexion: rolling backward and forward, a serve in tennis, a "defense" in boxing, rolling in BJJ / Judo / etc... As long as we evenly train all the trunk function to avoid imbalances, that's useful !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Do not know why, but it seems that Aleks is very active on core training recently:

Something which works great: OAOL PU and weighted crunches ( or any kind of resistance)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Assuming one would add plank / anti extension exercises to avoid imbalance, here is an alternative if no weights are available. This directly comes from J. Frazier's book (he was a boxer):

If one does not use anything to fix the feet, they'll be pretty hard, especially with the hold in the middle.

Sit-Ups: Four Sets of 10 Reps

First Set are like Normal Sit-Ups, except for each repetition you stop half way on the "down" end of the sit up, and hold it for a slow count of 10 before your back can touch the floor.

For the other three sets, instead of bending both legs at the knees, bend your right leg underneath your left leg. And when you go to the "up" position, twist your body around so that you touch your right elbow to your left knee, then your left elbow to your right knee before you start toward the down position again. Essentially, you're twisting your upper body to each side with each rep you do. Do 10 like that, including the slow count on the down part of the exercise. Then switch legs. Do the last set the same way.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Did these today with a KB.

For an equivalent weight (20 kg), the KB was a little harder, probably because I was grabbing it by the globe and squeezing a little harder.

Best abs of my life were made using and old school roman chair and working my way up to a 45# plate, crunch away (aweigh?).

Side to side, fore and aft. Finish with some leg raises.

I've been tempted to buy a roman chair, but all the ones I see on Amazon look super flimsy.

Hello @watchnerd

How did these 90/90 crunches feel with the kb, as far as core is concerned ? Why did you not increase the weight (which makes it easier to track progression) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @North Coast Miller

How would you compare straight leg raises on the Roman Char and a "regular" hanging leg raises - meaning a gymnastic hanging leg raise - (with a hollow body on the bottom position, no swing to raise the leg, and a lat engagement to maintain the body under the bar) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @North Coast Miller

How would you compare straight leg raises on the Roman Char and a "regular" hanging leg raises - meaning a gymnastic hanging leg raise - (with a hollow body on the bottom position, no swing to raise the leg, and a lat engagement to maintain the body under the bar) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
If loaded up a bit its very similar. You can feel the focus of tension shift to the lower abs.

Hello @watchnerd

How did these 90/90 crunches feel with the kb, as far as core is concerned ? Why did you not increase the weight (which makes it easier to track progression) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I didn't increase the weight because I didn't want to change two variables at once.

They felt pretty similar.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom