all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 90/90 stretch discomfort - Femoroacetabular Impingement?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nacho

Level 6 Valued Member
I have this mild discomfort/pain in my hip of the back leg when sitting up straight. At first I thought it would maybe go away as I do the stretch every day but it doesn`t. I have also neglected goblet squat previously because it sort of feels good and sort of doesnt... Now I have done it every time as a warmup for s&s and it has started to feel bad in the same area as 90/90. I also thought it would be tight TFL or something like that but stretching wont help. Same issue with both legs but a little bit more on the right one. Now the same discomfort is on the leg sweeping phase in TGU, which never happened until I started to do 90/90 + GS every day.

I started searching and now Im wondering if I have some sort of Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI)...

I consider myself quite flexible and I wonder if I should not go as far down on GS and maybe not do 90/90 at all, since I dont really feel any stretch... ?

I have had FAI with labral tear on the right with corrective surgery and I have hip snapping syndrome on the left. According to the ortho, the xray showed a bony prominence but he couldn't tell if it was pathological or not. Here are my suggestions.

1. Beware of Dr. Internet. If you are truly concerned, go see an ortho or other qualified MD for an assessment and imaging. It may not be an actual structural anomaly, but perhaps tissue density, certain muscles maybe compensatinf for weaker ones and causing an imbalance,etc... it could be a lot of different things, but you won't know until you get it checked out.
  2. FAI Fix is a great group with a stretching and soft tissue work program. The program is expensive but worth it. They also have a lot of videos on YouTube on using a foam roller, softballs and stretches. Foam roll after your workout or before bed, then stretch. I do this regularly and it helps.
  3. One of the things to consider is you may have soft tissue tightness that is pulling the head of your femur out of alignment so it rubs or creates that pinching feeling. Soft tissue work will break those adhesions up and hopefully get your femur sitting in your hip the right way.
  4. You can go to the tension but don't go through it. If it hurts, back off and do other stretches, exercises etc...
  5. Be patient with your body and explore the movements.
  6. Again, go see a qualified medical professional and get an assessment and imaging done if recommended.

Agree with Ryan
Get a good eval to check on what is going on

I have had FAI with labral tear on the right with corrective surgery and I have hip snapping syndrome on the left. According to the ortho, the xray showed a bony prominence but he couldn't tell if it was pathological or not. Here are my suggestions.

1. Beware of Dr. Internet. If you are truly concerned, go see an ortho or other qualified MD for an assessment and imaging. It may not be an actual structural anomaly, but perhaps tissue density, certain muscles maybe compensatinf for weaker ones and causing an imbalance,etc... it could be a lot of different things, but you won't know until you get it checked out.
  2. FAI Fix is a great group with a stretching and soft tissue work program. The program is expensive but worth it. They also have a lot of videos on YouTube on using a foam roller, softballs and stretches. Foam roll after your workout or before bed, then stretch. I do this regularly and it helps.
  3. One of the things to consider is you may have soft tissue tightness that is pulling the head of your femur out of alignment so it rubs or creates that pinching feeling. Soft tissue work will break those adhesions up and hopefully get your femur sitting in your hip the right way.
  4. You can go to the tension but don't go through it. If it hurts, back off and do other stretches, exercises etc...
  5. Be patient with your body and explore the movements.
  6. Again, go see a qualified medical professional and get an assessment and imaging done if recommended.

Thanks for your reply. I will go have it checked out soon. I hope its tightness in the muscles. I tried to massage the area a bit and the muscles are sore for sure.

@Nacho, most of us here goblet squat regularly. You could post a video of yourself doing that, since you mention it, and perhaps of you doing the 90/90 stretch as well.

-S-

See if I could manage to post a video here later.

One thing I have also realized recently is that Im walking and standing on the outside of my feet.
I dont know where this is coming from and if it has a connection to this issue.
Its a strange thing, because I have always tended to walk with my feet rotated a bit outwards and I had a mild over pronation.
Now my feet are moe square and I have over supination.

Question
Is the idea to have all the weight distributed evenly in the feet in GS and swings, isnt it?
I think I might have too much weight on the outside of the foot because the stance and spreading the knees.

One thing I have also realized recently is that Im walking and standing on the outside of my feet.
I dont know where this is coming from and if it has a connection to this issue.
Its a strange thing, because I have always tended to walk with my feet rotated a bit outwards and I had a mild over pronation.
Now my feet are moe square and I have over supination.
A key bit from the Egoscue training I have been doing is that over time, we tend to stack compensations, usually each one worsening the situation. This happens to most people as we accumulate small injuries, work in compromised positions at our jobs, what ever. Also, emotions can impact basic set points for how we hold/use our bodies.

When I was a young child I walked very out toed like Charlie Chaplin being a goof and very pronated. Over the years, for various reasons and using methods, I learned to compensate so that just looking at my feet they look great. But I have a funky rotational position in both knees, esp the left one and gluteal amnesia also more on the left (they tend to not fire when I tell them to) so femur is not properly stabilized under load. Net result=2 surgeries on my left knee and now some arthritis in the joint (shown on xray). The key is to undo all the compensations and go back to the deep neurological level and retrain proper default so no compensations are needed or used.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom