90/90 vs pigeon stretch

Discussion in 'Other' started by Nacho, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Nacho

Nacho Triple-Digit Post Count

I have never been a big fan of 90/90 stretch, but I have kept on doing it after every S&S session religiously. (Love the ql straddle though!) I have always felt somewhat discomfortable doing it and I think it maybe doesnt help me that much.

Lately I have tried out a pigeon stretch instead and I feel a lot more stretch in glutes and obviously front of the hip. I also like how it naturally sets my torso upright and straight with ”a proud chest”.

Guess I should be ok just replacing the 90/90 stretch with the pigeon stretch?

Bauer likes this.
  2. Anna C

Anna C More than 5000 posts Elite Certified Instructor

I think so. Sometimes pigeon works better for me, too. Just play with the front foot position and the amount and angle of "leaning over" the front leg until you feel that good stretch in the glute and ouside hip of the front leg. And remember, although you feel a stretch, "the goal is to relax the muscles, not stretch them." (Steve F. , and Pavel "Relax into Stretch").

So the only thing you'd be missing out on by doing pigeon instead of 90/90 is some movement around the hip rotators. You could get this from "shin box"... Google will show you how.

3. Nacho

Thanks Anna for your view.
    Shin box is familiar from OS and I play with it every now and then.

4. WhatWouldHulkDo

WhatWouldHulkDo Quadruple-Digit Post Count

Interestingly, I just recently switched the opposite direction - I'm getting a better glute stretch (or activation, or whatever) out of the 90/90 than the pigeon. I think because I can't get the front leg nearly as perpendicular in the pigeon.

Every body is different, I guess.

5. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Director of Community Engagement Staff Member Senior Certified Instructor

@Nacho, I have yet to meet anyone who likes the 90/90 stretch, but that doesn't mean it doesn't do good things for you. I wouldn't give up on it altogether.

-S-

Discipulus and Nacho like this.
  6. WhatWouldHulkDo

WhatWouldHulkDo Quadruple-Digit Post Count

Ha! If nobody likes to do it, you know it must be good for you.

7. Nacho

Maybe I`ll do both then. :)

8. cheldelformai

cheldelformai Triple-Digit Post Count

I actually like the 90/90 stretch!
    But I deeply hate the QL straddle stretch :mad:

musicsherlock and Bauer like this.
  9. Bauer

Bauer More than 500 posts

Same here! 9090 has always been a favorite of mine, even before starting S&S @Steve Freides

But the straddle QL is growing on me.

10. offwidth

offwidth More than 5000 posts

90/90 is great!

11. njrick1

njrick1 Double-Digit Post Count

In my experience, the pigeon is a more intense stretch but could hurt your knee if done incorrectly.

Bauer likes this.
  12. wespom9

wespom9 More than 500 posts Certified Instructor

90/90 was game changing for me

13. North

North Double-Digit Post Count

Next time I’m with an SFG I’m going to ask them to look at my 90/90. I don’t like it, but I wonder if I’m missing some detail.