all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed 90/90 vs pigeon stretch

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nacho

Level 6 Valued Member
I have never been a big fan of 90/90 stretch, but I have kept on doing it after every S&S session religiously. (Love the ql straddle though!) I have always felt somewhat discomfortable doing it and I think it maybe doesnt help me that much.

Lately I have tried out a pigeon stretch instead and I feel a lot more stretch in glutes and obviously front of the hip. I also like how it naturally sets my torso upright and straight with ”a proud chest”.

Guess I should be ok just replacing the 90/90 stretch with the pigeon stretch?

Guess I should be ok just replacing the 90/90 stretch with the pigeon stretch?

I think so. Sometimes pigeon works better for me, too. Just play with the front foot position and the amount and angle of "leaning over" the front leg until you feel that good stretch in the glute and ouside hip of the front leg. And remember, although you feel a stretch, "the goal is to relax the muscles, not stretch them." (Steve F. , and Pavel "Relax into Stretch").

So the only thing you'd be missing out on by doing pigeon instead of 90/90 is some movement around the hip rotators. You could get this from "shin box"... Google will show you how.

I think so. Sometimes pigeon works better for me, too. Just play with the front foot position and the amount and angle of "leaning over" the front leg until you feel that good stretch in the glute and ouside hip of the front leg. And remember, although you feel a stretch, "the goal is to relax the muscles, not stretch them." (Steve F. , and Pavel "Relax into Stretch").

So the only thing you'd be missing out on by doing pigeon instead of 90/90 is some movement around the hip rotators. You could get this from "shin box"... Google will show you how.

Thanks Anna for your view.
Shin box is familiar from OS and I play with it every now and then.

Interestingly, I just recently switched the opposite direction - I'm getting a better glute stretch (or activation, or whatever) out of the 90/90 than the pigeon. I think because I can't get the front leg nearly as perpendicular in the pigeon.

Every body is different, I guess.

@Nacho, I have yet to meet anyone who likes the 90/90 stretch, but that doesn't mean it doesn't do good things for you. I wouldn't give up on it altogether.

-S-

In my experience, the pigeon is a more intense stretch but could hurt your knee if done incorrectly.

Next time I’m with an SFG I’m going to ask them to look at my 90/90. I don’t like it, but I wonder if I’m missing some detail.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom